POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2015, 07:14:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 663211
  • Total Topics: 50946
  • Online Today: 221
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 159
Total: 162

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: CVS Caremark Specialty pharmacy  (Read 1219 times)

Offline marcmoral16

CVS Caremark Specialty pharmacy
« on: January 11, 2015, 07:56:53 PM »
Guys I know this has been asked a million times over.

I jut got a letter in the mail basically stating that I HAVE TO USE MAIL ORER for my HIV drugs.

I've been trying to google this and see if there is a way around this. I live in NYC and I see something about the AMMO law that lets you choose, though im still wondering if they can force me. Those any one have experience with this and Caremark RX in New York?

Tested Positive Jan 16 2013
CD4 119 6% VL 23980
Started Complera Feb 2013
March CD4 199 9% VL 1000
May CD4 255 12% VL 334
June CD4 284 15% VL 172
Switched to Stribild middle June 2013
July CD4 325 22% VL 51
October CD4 341 23% VL UD!!
Jan 2014 CD4 343 20% VL <20
July 2014 CD4 450 26% VL <20
December 2014 491 26% still UD!

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
Re: CVS Caremark Specialty pharmacy
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 08:32:10 PM »
I'm in Texas, not New York, but I too was recently told that I have to use CVS Caremark Specialty Pharmacy for my HIV meds.  They can ship them to my local CVS pharmacy for me to pick up (that's what their web site says, and that is what their representative told me over the phone).  They also validated the info for the copay card I use for Truvada.  So, I'm hopeful I will have a good experience.  Truth be told, if I can pick them up at my local CVS pharmacy, then I think I'll see little practical difference.  It all seems a bit silly to me, but I have no doubt it is another way to control costs.

Hopefully one of our members in NYC can confirm if the Anti-Mandatory Mail Order bill passed in New York.  I had thought so.  If so, you'll probably have to contact your insurer to let them know you are opting out of mail order (and they probably will make you jump through a few hoops to do so).

Good lucků

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline moka1970

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 07:11:02 PM »
I have when I lived in NY. It's not bad. What is your concern?

Offline wolfter

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 07:57:52 PM »
You can still have them delivered to your local CVS.  I've used them for the past several years and was mostly pleased.  Even on rare occassions where a mess up happened, they over nighted them to me. 

I also always had the option of having them sent to the pharmacy where I could pick them up.  I guess when you live kinda rural, the delivery to your home option is awesome.  Even if not home, they simply leave the package at the front door.  Sure beats a long trip to the city.
Complacency is the enemy.  ;)  Challenge yourself daily for maximum  return on investment.

Offline marcmoral16

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 08:17:41 PM »
Hey guys,

So my concerns which I feared have came true. I started the whole process on Monday Jan 12th gave them all the info my doctor called in the script the same day. I called Thursday they assured me I would have it friday, Friday comes I go to my local cvs they have nothing. I call them up, well overnight it for Saturday deliver I'm like ok, cool that's fine I run out of pills Friday night Saturday is perfect.

It is now 8pm at my local pharmacy I have no pills, they are closed tomorrow so I'll go two days atleast without MEDS, but I'm just afraid this is what I can come to expect. I gave them enough time after receiving the notice the 10th that I had to use the speciality pharmacy.

I'm silly enough to not have stock piled an emergency supply. I know going forward I will.

Sigh
Tested Positive Jan 16 2013
CD4 119 6% VL 23980
Started Complera Feb 2013
March CD4 199 9% VL 1000
May CD4 255 12% VL 334
June CD4 284 15% VL 172
Switched to Stribild middle June 2013
July CD4 325 22% VL 51
October CD4 341 23% VL UD!!
Jan 2014 CD4 343 20% VL <20
July 2014 CD4 450 26% VL <20
December 2014 491 26% still UD!

Offline notimeforthat

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 05:01:43 PM »
Hello.
I have CareMark as well. I received the same letter. I have been dealing with them over the phone for the past two weeks. I still don't have my meds (Stribild). I have been getting help meeting my deductible and copays through ISP. Effectively I can no longer get this Federally funded assistance due the fact that the only methods of payment With CareMark Specialty is via credit/debit card or check on file, there is no invoicing, billing a third party etc.
I was told on the first several calls that I could be invoiced (and thus be able to submit  it to the organization which administers these federal programs). I was told several things at the beginning calls that turn out to be incorrect. CareMark Specialty is totally inflexible on anything including the ability to opt out.
I did  finally submit information from the Gilead copay card and was told it would take several days to 'verify' the information.
So basically I'm out gonna be off my meds for at least 10 days to 2 weeks, best case scenario. I hate this company. It's employees are inept, unknowledgable and really don't seem care too much about either.
(I called customer 'care' today and asked to speak with someone in the billing department because I had a few questions I wasn't clear on because I had already been given conflicting information. It took many minutes for him to "find me' then perhaps 5 more minutes on hold while he transferred ...he however came back on the phone and said the billing rep wanted to know what I wanted because he didn't see that I had been billed anything yet ..i just hung up.) Totally ridiculous.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 05:05:37 PM by notimeforthat »

Offline NewAdventure1

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 10:19:13 PM »
I have used cvs caremark speciality pharmacy since last july. No complaints. I highly recommend using them. They auto my meds so they call me to verify and pay and thats all! Very quick!
02/2013 Tested Negative
Exposure between 02/2013-10/2013
06/03/2014 Tested Positive
06/06/2014  VL 787 CD4 881 38%
07/08/2014 VL 1756 CD4 813 38%
07/27/2014 Started Complera
09/08/2014 Undetectable VL!
11/2014- Undetectable VL
2/2015-:Undetectable CD4 771 39%

Offline didee

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 12:03:08 AM »
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and am excited to have found it!

I just got switched to CVS/Caremark Specialty due to medical plan changing at work...was with LDI Specialty which was a wonderful experience, a rep that totally took care of my meds with ability to reach his direct extension...CVS not so much so far in trying to get pricing etc, luckily I had stock piled 3 months of meds so didn't need to order yet....but then after finding out the price of my meds which I haven't changed for over 10 years, my doctor had me checked for triumeq and I showed ok to take it so I called up to switch to triumeq which for some reason got me over to their mail order department for this med which was a much better experience.  It's been a very confusing ordeal with them until now.  I ordered and received on my front door step within 2 days and UPS texted me when they were delivered.  I'm hoping it'll continue to be easier to deal with them now, time will tell.
Positive since 1985
CD4 675, VL 29

Offline Schnauzer

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 12:39:18 PM »
I've been using CVS/Caremark mail order for over two years now.  In general, they're okay.  It's nice to have your medications delivered to your door every month.  There are some issues, though.  When there are problems it's really hard to get things going again.  For example, they don 't seem to have a very organized method for receiving prescriptions.  If you have a new prescription, it can take weeks before it's actually filled.  I've had to have my doctor send the same prescription several times before they could find it or download it properly.  Once it got so bad I had to have a conference call with the CVS pharmacist, my doctor and me before we straightened things out.

The worst thing is the phone reps seems to have junior-high reading and comprehension level.  It's painful to be on the phone while the rep is struggling, and failing, to pronounce your medication and organize an order, particularly when the medications keep HIV at bay.

So, even though it always works out in the end, you can never get too comfortable with CVS/Caremark mail order.  It's important to be your own advocate and to be proactive with them.   
One good turn gets most of the blankets.

Offline witch

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 04:36:35 AM »
Hey guys,

So my concerns which I feared have came true. I started the whole process on Monday Jan 12th gave them all the info my doctor called in the script the same day. I called Thursday they assured me I would have it friday, Friday comes I go to my local cvs they have nothing. I call them up, well overnight it for Saturday deliver I'm like ok, cool that's fine I run out of pills Friday night Saturday is perfect.

It is now 8pm at my local pharmacy I have no pills, they are closed tomorrow so I'll go two days atleast without MEDS, but I'm just afraid this is what I can come to expect. I gave them enough time after receiving the notice the 10th that I had to use the speciality pharmacy.

I'm silly enough to not have stock piled an emergency supply. I know going forward I will.

Sigh

I have to deal with CVS Pharmacy inability to deliver orders all the time. The problem is that they check the order in the very last moment, before shipment, not when you make the order a week earlier. If something turns out wrong (no refills etc), they do not ship and do not care to notify you. The last time they did it, they claimed my order did not ship because "they just got the prescription in", when the prescription was already in the system a few days ago, otherwise I would not be able to order it. Then a "supervisor" told me the order did not ship because "the computer did not print it out". I guess we have to fire "the computer" that refuses to print. They are just as ignorant as overpaid and "Caremark" has nothing to do with "care".

The way to deal with them is to call them on the day of shipment, to verify the order has shipped. Otherwise you may have to wait the whole day without any notification from them that there was "a problem".

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2015 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.