POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2015, 11:50:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 672992
  • Total Topics: 52096
  • Online Today: 201
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 177
Total: 182

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Advice needed  (Read 322 times)

Offline fynnnn

Advice needed
« on: July 16, 2015, 01:55:52 PM »
I am an HIV positive gay man. Concerned the unfavorable medical situation of my country and my confidentiality, I started getting treated abroad.

A dear friend from USA encouraged me to move here, so I left everything I had in my country in the hope of starting from scratch and I ended up in Atlanta, however I tried really hard but still nowhere close to where I'd like to be.

I am allowed to stay in the States legally through Nov 4, 2015, Time is limited if I'd like to work my way out in the States. I reached out to a lawyer and was advised that "if you want to proceed with an asylum case, you should move to another part of the US, perhaps DC, New York or San Francisco. If your initial application is denied and you end up in immigration court, you do not want to be in Atlanta. The Judges here are the worst in the country." I need more info before coming to a decision. I'd appreciate it if you could kindly advise on the following questions,

- Do I stand any chance to file political asylum based on my status and orientation ?

- Are there any pro bono legal services available to the LGBT/HIV community in DC ?

- Career wise, I am neither US citizen nor green card holder, would I be able to find a job there ?

Please feel free to let me know if you have any info/advice. Thank you all.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 05:16:51 PM »
Hi,

I suggest you call the Legal AID Society, GMHC (Gay Mens Health Crisis) in NYC and Human Rights Campaign in Washington DC to ask for suggestions.

If they can't be helpful then ask them who you should contact.

Good luck and don't give up.
Andy Velez

Offline Jeff G

• Global Moderator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 07:03:00 PM »
Welcome to the forums . I am going to move your thread into the insurance and benefits forum although its a different matter . JR is the moderator of that forum and I think he can give you some sound advice or point you in the right direction. Andy has given you some good advice so lets see if we can build on that.

Offline JR Gabbard

• Union Jacks
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 03:24:09 PM »
I am an HIV positive gay man. Concerned the unfavorable medical situation of my country and my confidentiality, I started getting treated abroad.

A dear friend from USA encouraged me to move here, so I left everything I had in my country in the hope of starting from scratch and I ended up in Atlanta, however I tried really hard but still nowhere close to where I'd like to be.

I am allowed to stay in the States legally through Nov 4, 2015, Time is limited if I'd like to work my way out in the States. I reached out to a lawyer and was advised that "if you want to proceed with an asylum case, you should move to another part of the US, perhaps DC, New York or San Francisco. If your initial application is denied and you end up in immigration court, you do not want to be in Atlanta. The Judges here are the worst in the country." I need more info before coming to a decision. I'd appreciate it if you could kindly advise on the following questions,

- Do I stand any chance to file political asylum based on my status and orientation ?

- Are there any pro bono legal services available to the LGBT/HIV community in DC ?

- Career wise, I am neither US citizen nor green card holder, would I be able to find a job there ?

Please feel free to let me know if you have any info/advice. Thank you all.

Hello fynnn,
I'm not an immigration attorney, so I can't speak to the likelihood of your success at getting asylum.  But there is nothing to stop you from filing, and they won't take action against you while the application is pending.  I would accept what the other attorney told you about Atlanta.
Yes, pro bono help is available in San Francisco, and I assume in the other cities listed, but be prepared to pay the filing and processing fees, which can run into the thousands of dollars.
If you end up getting asylum, you also get a green card.
Hope that helped.
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth,
The minor fall, the major lift,
The baffled king composing Hallelujah!

L. Cohen

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2015 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.