Main Forums > I Just Tested Poz

Tested + last week, really need some guidance on this...

<< < (6/7) > >>

lincoln6echo:
So, just an update.
I've had about a month's worth of data to look at now which all reflect pre ARV treatment #'s.   

Infected early June 2012
Started seroconversion July 6
Diagnosed Aug 31

1st lab results Sept 6 - CD4 360; VL 6,383,000
2nd lab results Sept 13 - CD4 574; VL 5,000,000
3rd lab results Sept 18 - CD4 506; VL 9,325,899 - 6%
4th lab results Oct 2 - CD4 335; VL 8,425,886 - 5%

The % #'s have me kinda discouraged but I will try and keep focussed on what leather and other's have said about looking at trends over time. I am envious of those who post for the 1st time about being infected and yet have way better #'s than me!  I can't help but wonder if I didn't start HAART if I would have deteriorated fast.

I started ARV's Oct 2 so hopefully these numbers will improve when I get my next results from yesterday's blood work. 

Still feeling crappy..but less crappy I'd say. Still having some skin and stomach issues and get tired pretty fast, throat is swollen but much less than two weeks ago. I do have a bit more energy comparatively and my hair has almost stopped falling out, at least way less than before. I am getting my appetite back :)

So goes the battle...

Miss Philicia:
Your numbers are "bad", or rather "what they are", simply because you have a documented very recent seroconversion. If you'd not been diagnosed for another 12 months I'm quite sure that your numbers would appear better (much, much lower viral load, higher cd4% and absolute).

When you see others here post what their numbers were upon diagnosis, in general you don't know if they were infected six months previous, 12 months, 24, etc.

You're attempting to read all sorts of things into your lab results without knowing the proper context for understanding them. Of course, now that you've begun HIV medication the subject is rather irrelevant.

leatherman:

--- Quote from: lincoln6echo on October 17, 2012, 06:41:35 PM ---1st lab results Sept 6 - CD4 360; VL 6,383,000
2nd lab results Sept 13 - CD4 574; VL 5,000,000
3rd lab results Sept 18 - CD4 506; VL 9,325,899 - 6%
4th lab results Oct 2 - CD4 335; VL 8,425,886 - 5%

The % #'s have me kinda discouraged but I will try and keep focussed on what leather and other's have said about looking at trends over time. I am envious of those who post for the 1st time about being infected and yet have way better #'s than me!

--- End quote ---
maybe i should have specified a time component in that word "trend".  ;D Usually, even when someone is incredibly sick with AIDS, tests are done at 4 to 6 wks, not mere days. Don't even bother trying to determine your trend until Jan 1st. LOL You'll be much happier if you give it all some time to work.

and Philly is very right. Why if you had NOT started meds and simply waited 6 months, your vl may have dropped to the low hundreds and your cd4 would have rebounded. Please scroll back and look at the chart I posted . You are trying to extrapolate data from the chart, and from other people's experiences, that happens over the course of months or yrs not over less than a month's time. You are trying to make comparisons of someone in the initial stages of infection with someone who has been infected for years - these are vastly different situations (as that chart shows!).

Personally, I can't even believe that your doctor is testing you so often. This is a clear waste of resources >:(, and a grab for money, to be testing your VL and CD4 once a week - especially knowing you were so recently infected. Not to mention that your doctor's actions are playing into your own emotional/mental issues >:( about you being HIV positive. He's not doing you any good at all.

lincoln6echo:
Leather, I see your point.

As for the frequency of testing, the first lab is from the STD clinic when I initially got tested. 
The second is from my GP when I went to him with the news. 

My ID doc has only submitted two labs and they will be at least once a month from here on in because i'm on a clinical trial.

leatherman:

--- Quote from: lincoln6echo on October 17, 2012, 08:33:51 PM ---My ID doc has only submitted two labs and they will be at least once a month from here on in because i'm on a clinical trial.

--- End quote ---
wow, that's much better. :D I thought somebody was really raking in the dough from testing you every week. Once you start getting tested once a month, you'll be able to see real trends showing the difference as the meds kick in.

Good luck with the meds!  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version