Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Insurance, Benefits Programs & HIV

Hard question to ask. Disability?

<< < (2/4) > >>

thunter34:

--- Quote from: Miss Philicia on August 20, 2012, 01:42:22 PM ---On the other hand, my application was pushed through and approved in a matter of 3 months. This was in NY state and a decade ago though.

--- End quote ---

Yup.  They are a bit tougher on what qualifies now, though - since they are aware that the meds can do wonders for lifting you back out of the coffin.

On a side note...a woman I know nearby has been a heavy smoker and a total glutton her whole life (like she doesn't eat a slice of cake...she eats the whole cake), and she got pushed through lickity split for COPD and morbid obesity.  She still smokes like a chimney and eats like crazy.

denb45:

--- Quote from: thunter34 on August 20, 2012, 01:50:24 PM ---she got pushed through lickity split for COPD and morbid obesity.  She still smokes like a chimney and eats like crazy.

--- End quote ---

Some people never learn  ::)  never knew you could get it for that tho, I suppose you could, if you cannot move very far  ;)

nycpoz33:
I would say go for it.  You have nothing to lose by trying.  Waiting till your laid off might work against you though (if you are so sick why wait till you are laid off might be on their minds)..also..if you gain financially from being laid off..severance etc...you might not qualify financially until you use up your financial resources.  End point is you seem to have a lot going on and I know people on SSI/SSDI for far less worthy causes.  Get a lawyer who specializes in social security.  social security will pay for one if you qualify financially as well.  note..most applications are initially turned down but you always have right to appeal and many are overturned on appeal in favor of the applicant.  Stay strong , stay focused, and most of all seek guidance and assistance the whole way through the process.  If you believe you honestly cannot work and it is a burden, go forward full steam!

tednlou2:

--- Quote from: denb45 on August 20, 2012, 02:08:28 PM ---Some people never learn  ::)  never knew you could get it for that tho, I suppose you could, if you cannot move very far  ;)

--- End quote ---

We're all human.  Some folks getting it for HIV/AIDS acquired Hep C, after knowing how to protect themselves.  It's part of the human condition.   

Miss Philicia:
SSDI is based on medical criteria and ability to work. It's not means tested, nor do they look at whether or not you were laid off recently as far as I know. When I applied and was approved within 3 months I had been laid off 12 months previous to that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version