Main Forums > Pre-HAART Long-Term Survivors

hiv+ for 30 years or more?

<< < (17/18) > >>

heartforyou:
Officially 1987, but from my T count at that time and the intensive care stay with an unknown virus in 1983, it happened in 1983....

So I have 30 years on my back as well...

xxxx

guitargal:
Hey everyone,
I do not write here much and I would like to start checking in more and become friends.

I am pos probably 28 years..
Most likely exposed in 1985 although I remember I had a terrible flu in July 1986

Found out in 1992 and was put on AZT right away. I also got ssi in 1993!
 i think i had  cd4 of 210
guess the AZT didn't work as  I kept dropping  160 then 90 , 65 , 33 , 13..

some OI's and pneumonia
I prayed for the smart scientists out there working on new meds. I remember saying to my self, the PI's are coming.. just hang on for the new drugs..
I made it!

Got better in 1998 with PI's I was one of the first in my state to take them.
Had a new lease on life so to speak and a  good life ,considering, a single mom on $600 a month with part time work here and there..

Good docs,  bad docs,  incompetent arrogant docs , trying to find an attorney as we speak but that is another thread…

My son born in 1990 is negative so . ? Even breast fed him a year. I didn't' know I was pos.. i have been blessed to have every minute i have had with him and what a great man he is now!

HEP C+ (will do the new treatment this year)
HIV UD VL  900 something cd4

taken all the meds..(except some of the newer ones…)
currently i suffer extreme severe full body pain undiagnosed for 2+ years now no one knows… i say IRIS?

summer 2011 bad leg pain cramps twitches weakness..a@% Hole doc recommended i stop meds and see if leg pain stops..idiot me did what he said..
well legs got worse and when restarted meds in fall of 2011 after 3 months off ..a reaction happened and left me bed ridden crying and house bound in extreme  pain thinking i was a goner  and no diagnosis or treatment or pain management..FU@%#rs    and ready to smack the docs!
Still here i AM! I have improved this past year and learning to live with this new me.. and have pain meds now but very limited on chores and daily errands. sucks i was a go go go person who just got stopped in her tracks.

all my best LTS we rock!

Theyer:
Welcome Guitargal ,  Sorry about the things you are struggling with and congrats on all your many successes.

Many off us here have pain problems. I am beginning to think there is quite a difference how doctors treat pain. I am a UK resident and have a Pain controll Doctor, and am treated by a combination off drugs.

I do wonder wether the explosion off pain control drug abuse has now skewed all US Doctors approach to pain .

Look forward to your future posts

Michael

wolfter:
welcome aboard guitargirl.  It seems almost surreal that we've struggled and survived despite the bleak prognosis.  Hope you stick around and get to know our dysfunctional family.   ;D

wolfie

Theyer:

--- Quote from: wolfter on July 17, 2013, 08:23:24 PM ---I didn't think the test was available until 86 with it being routinely available until 87.  But this again, this old AIDS brain doesn't quite function normally.

I'll never be sure as I don't recall ever going through seroconversion.  The only time I remember ever being deathly sick was my Junior year of high school...ikes.  But I believe it was a pretty slutty night on my birthday during college.  School had ended for the summer and I turned 21...time to party....and regret. :(

Edited for clarification as I rec'd a message with the following.

http://kff.org/hivaids/fact-sheet/hiv-testing-in-the-united-states/

pretty slutty night translates to had a graet time had no idea could feel so free , I bet Greg thats what you thought for a while then you layered the crap on and the freedom feeling went .

1985:   First test for HIV licensed (ELISA)
1987:   First Western Blot blood test kit
1992:   First rapid test
1994:   First oral fluid test
1996:   First home and urine tests
2002:   First rapid test using finger prick

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version