Main Forums > Pre-HAART Long-Term Survivors

hiv+ for 30 years or more?

<< < (3/18) > >>

Solo_LTSurvivor:

--- Quote from: mitch777 on August 12, 2012, 05:27:43 PM ---thanks mishma.
i started the process with a lawyer. wanted them to know i wasn't kidding from the start.
i believe by law that they can't charge more than 6000.00 and am pretty sure they don't get anything if i lose. a chance they take in representing me.
glad you made it through the process.
was the appeal difficult???
what more info did you need to prove your case??
any help from anyone with this question would be helpful.

--- End quote ---

Mitch, JR Gabbard is the moderator of the Benefits Program Forum here and is also an attorney.  You might want to post your question over there and see if he can offer some insight once he sees your thread.

I'm sure you do know that each situation will vary depending on the individual but at least some general information, which I'm sure JR can provide, will prove to be somewhat helpful.

LongTimeSurvivor:
There are two possible times that I think would be prime candidates for my infection. One was the summer of 1978. Went into the hospital very sick. Stayed for 13 days. They did every test under the sun and then some. Never could figure out what was wrong. Eventually got better and was sent home. That would put me at 34 years.

The other time was probably spring 1985. Caught what seemed to be the flu but wasn't really flu season...not that you can't catch the flu anytime. That would put me at 27 years.

Did the test about six months after it became available and then progressed to an AIDS diagnosis (thrush) before my second year was done. Then nothing, t-cells stayed at 700, viral load remained undetectable...until I started on Atripla.

However, regardless of the number of years, I was a slow progressor. Drugs started about 3 years ago. Aside from that I'm relatively healthy. Work, go to the gym, lead a "normal" life as it were (except for the pills and shots everyday). So...other than possibly matching you for number of years my AIDS trajectory has been markedly different from what you've mentioned and what most on this site experienced.

Hope there are more 30+ out there then we might think. Everyone in my age group couldn't have died...could they?

LTSchris:
I'm at 27 years and 3 months. The halfway mark was hard for me. Now I feel I've entered my "golden years" at 52. Filled 14 prescriptions this month. Having high-grade precancerous tissue removed from the rectum for the second time next week. I believe it was Janis Joplin who sang, "Take it! Take another little piece of my asshole baby!"

OneTampa:

--- Quote from: LTSchris on August 21, 2012, 03:46:25 PM ---I believe it was Janis Joplin who sang, "Take it! Take another little piece of my asshole baby!"

--- End quote ---

Twirl, snap.....and pause....now bend over.  ;)

Wishing you the best with your coming procedure.

Take care.

jdb73112:
      Just celebrated my 30th anniversary in June!! I converted in June 1982, and I know this for a couple of reasons. First, was from a strong suspicion, and second was from laboratory confirmation. That June I had what would turn out to be "typical" seroconversion symptoms (fever, swollen lymph nodes, muscle aches, headache, flu-like symptoms). But to put this in context, first, some history.

When my first partner gave me gonorrhea (again) in 1978 I went to the San Francisco STD clinic to be treated and was asked to enroll in a Hepatitis B study. From that study I got into several other studies where blood was drawn serially over several years. Somehow I got rolled to the original COHORT study group that came from the SF STD clinic. I was in the Leon McKusick AIDS Behavioral Research Project ten years, and I think it was in 1986 that I got a letter from that group saying that my blood samples from the various studies had been thawed and were tested for HIV. They told me that my results were available to me, BUT, they cautioned “you may want to seriously consider whether or not you would like to have this information. Since there is no treatment available at this time you may find the stress of knowing more harmful than helpful.” I may not have that quote exactly right, but I remember the tone very clearly! Since I was an RN working in the front lines of AIDS care in San Francisco at the time my immediate reaction was that I did NOT want to know!! I had assumed for a long time that I was infected because of the many STDs my first partner had shared with me from 1977 to 1984 because he was incredibly promiscuous (ain’t love grand!). So, I declined their offer until 1988 when I wrote them and asked for my results. True to my suspicions, I was negative in the spring of 1982, and positive in the fall of 1982!

I have been incredibly fortunate. Many physicians who have cared for me over the years have postulated that one reason I am still alive today is because I got the “original” strain of HIV before it got more powerful and pesky! I know there have to be other factors, not the least of which is divine in nature, but because of my work in the medical field I had also done a lot to take care of myself in general (gym, diet, vitamins, no drugs, no drinking, etc.) and always had protected sex after we found out what was going on. There was no such thing as “safer sex” back then, and I don’t blame my first partner because as it turns out, what we didn’t know can and did hurt us both! He is still alive and well too, and we are friends over 30 years later. I did not start on any medication until 1995, and I have always thanked God that there were/are even medications to take, since I saw so many of my patients and friends die before anything was available. I still do my best every day to live my life as Positively Pozitive as I can. I have a wonderful man in my life who loves me no matter what, and that is the very best medicine I could wish for, and he gives it to me for free!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version