Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Mental Health & HIV

God...

<< < (2/4) > >>

osric:
No, I'm as much an atheist now as I was before I was diagnosed. I wasn't brought up with religion, so it's not something I have any affinity for.

I've been thinking of joining a church, though, just for the social interaction. There's a gay UU church here that I hear is pretty open to people with or without a belief in a Christian god.

mstevens:
Iīve believed in God for about a decade or so now, nothing to do with organised religion, just a deep personal belief and a sense of comfort.  I go to church and pray and light my candle every once n a while, but less often than I go for meditation at my local buddhist centre.
My HIV diagnosis did not change my attitude to God in any substantial way yet we do turn to religion or God at times of crisis and itīs always great to have that. It might pass or it might now. Take your meds and believe in whatever deity you want in whichever way you want to.
The one thought I tend to find the most comforting is the notion that God will not give you more than you can handle. It reminds me that I have inner strength and ways to deal with whateverīs going on, HIV-related or not.

Hugs.

0608:
Thank you guys for your interesting and honest reflections.  As for me, I think of it like this.  God doesn't cause or plan out the things that happen on Earth (at least not usually), but he pretty much leaves it to us humans and often just dumb luck.  As a result, crappy and heartbreaking things happen to people every single day.

But in the end, after our lives end, God is SOOOO going to make it up to us in Heaven, and we'll be so happy that we'll remember all our earthly pain and think, 'Yeah, it was bad, but heaven is so worth it!!!' :)  It would just be so sad and illogical to me if our lives, with all the triumphs and challenges and disasters and effort, really didn't mean anything in the end.  I really do believe that there is a purpose behind it all, even though I don't understand it all.  There just has to be a reason to keep trying and persevere through this thing called life.

Anyhow, I love God, but yeah, it sure ain't simple.  I went to church today, and I was feeling great and so at peace, and then the pastor introduces some guy who delivers a speech about a piece of legislation that a local politician is supporting and how we should all pray and write letters to make sure the legislation doesn't pass.  What was this evil piece of legislation?  A law that would forbid "counselors" from practicing aversion therapy to "cure" homosexuals without their consent or if they're minors.

I, as a gay man, felt slapped in the face.  I felt like booing, but I just ended up keeping my head up with my eyes open when the guy led a prayer.  It really brought me down for a while, but I reminded myself again that Man is fallible (including myself) but God isn't.  And I, gay or not, am loved by God, no matter what that guy or anybody says.

jkinatl2:

--- Quote from: 0608 on August 13, 2012, 01:24:41 AM ---Thank you guys for your interesting and honest reflections.  As for me, I think of it like this.  God doesn't cause or plan out the things that happen on Earth (at least not usually), but he pretty much leaves it to us humans and often just dumb luck.  As a result, crappy and heartbreaking things happen to people every single day.

But in the end, after our lives end, God is SOOOO going to make it up to us in Heaven, and we'll be so happy that we'll remember all our earthly pain and think, 'Yeah, it was bad, but heaven is so worth it!!!' :)  It would just be so sad and illogical to me if our lives, with all the triumphs and challenges and disasters and effort, really didn't mean anything in the end.  I really do believe that there is a purpose behind it all, even though I don't understand it all.  There just has to be a reason to keep trying and persevere through this thing called life.

Anyhow, I love God, but yeah, it sure ain't simple.  I went to church today, and I was feeling great and so at peace, and then the pastor introduces some guy who delivers a speech about a piece of legislation that a local politician is supporting and how we should all pray and write letters to make sure the legislation doesn't pass.  What was this evil piece of legislation?  A law that would forbid "counselors" from practicing aversion therapy to "cure" homosexuals without their consent or if they're minors.

I, as a gay man, felt slapped in the face.  I felt like booing, but I just ended up keeping my head up with my eyes open when the guy led a prayer.  It really brought me down for a while, but I reminded myself again that Man is fallible (including myself) but God isn't.  And I, gay or not, am loved by God, no matter what that guy or anybody says.

--- End quote ---

The fact that you didn't speak up, or "boo" is the litmus test of your faith. If you believed what you say, you would have spoken up.

songs06:
i am not going to argue about god exists or not but i really don't get one thing everytime.
why is life meaningless when we accept there is no god or hell/heaven? i heard this a lot and still don't get it.
can't we just really accept the fact heaven and hell are in this life, not afterlife, and still live a happy meaningfull life. i mean, sometimes it looks like people believe in god just because they don't accept a "ending" or "a death" or just for a "feeling of justice"
i wish i could believe a justice, and i wish i could believe Somalian baby who dies 3 days after birth because of hunger, will go to heaven. but i think, life could be still meaningfull, even you believe everything ends when you die. actually it gives much more meaning to life, when you realize how little time you have to feel and experience things on earth.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version