POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 06:30:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 638902
  • Total Topics: 48503
  • Online Today: 190
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 145
Total: 148

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: In Need Of TV Help. Won't You Help And Make A Difference?  (Read 536 times)

Offline tednlou2

In Need Of TV Help. Won't You Help And Make A Difference?
« on: August 06, 2012, 12:58:01 AM »
I've come to realize that with so many members here, you can get just about any question answered.  So, we bought a new TV for the family/media room--whatever the hell people are calling it these days.  I've noticed an issue (an issue I wanted to avoid) with other TVs I've seen at friends' homes, hotels, etc.  When you watch TV shows, they look so odd.  They look like they are LIVE, or look like the cheaper cameras soap operas use.  Actually, it looks like the show was shot with a home camcorder.  It is awful.   

Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?  If so, is it the hertz that causes this?  We bought the 120Hz.  They had models that were 240Hz and even 680Hz.  It also had awful juttering/shuttering, or whatever you call it.  When actors move their hands or walk across the room, it blurs.  But, when I've read about that, most articles, from sites like CNET, said they could barely tell a difference between the different hertz, and you would probably only notice an issue while watching fast-action sports, if at all.  The salesperson said the same thing.  But, this is happening with regular movies and TV shows. 

Someone told me there is some function on these TVs called "smooth motion" that may be causing this, and that some TVs have the ability to turn it off.  I didn't see any function like that.  The blurring is annoying enough, but the LIVE or camcorder look is terrible.  We couldn't watch it, because it was so bad.  The store has a 30 day return policy with no restocking fee.  Did we just not buy enough hertz?  Is this just an issue with LCD/LED TVs?  The TV says it is LED, but I think it is not fully LED.  Our previous TV was a rear-projection and our other TV is a plasma.  No problem with those.  This isn't a cheap TV.     

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
Re: In Need Of TV Help. Won't You Help And Make A Difference?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 02:34:08 AM »
It is called "the soap opera effect". It appears to be partially a result of LCD interpolation technology. Motion interpolation is a form of video processing in which intermediate animation frames are generated between existing ones, in an attempt to make animation more fluid. I personally think part of the effect is due to the picture being so detailed you can see from the lighting and clarity the movie is shot on a set. The effect is less apparent on plasma sets. On your LED/LCD TV you should be able to turn off "motion flow" or whatever your brand calls it, set to movie mode, turn down the sharpness if you want a softer picture and minimize the effect.

Also your LED TV means it uses LED lights to backlight the LCDs. Some are lit along the edges and some have a full array across the back that helps with darker blacks and area contrast.

If the picture still bothers you should consider exchanging it for a plasma.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 09:55:05 AM by GSOgymrat »

Offline tednlou2

Re: In Need Of TV Help. Won't You Help And Make A Difference?
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 01:44:04 AM »
Thanks for the input.  I finally found that "Smooth Motion" function, and I turned it off.  That helped tremendously.  You can still see it a little, mostly on older shows like "Seinfeld," but it is so much improved.  I watched newer shows like "Modern Family," and you could barely notice it anymore.   

As I reading online about it, there are so many who hate the "soap opera" effect and were searching how to fix it.  However, some actually like it.  My best friend says he likes the look, saying it makes it look LIVE or gives it a 3D effect.

Again, thanks.  I know it is one of those good problems to have, but it was so distracting.   

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.