POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 08:51:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 632364
  • Total Topics: 47889
  • Online Today: 257
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What do you think of therapy?  (Read 1241 times)

Offline britchick

What do you think of therapy?
« on: July 24, 2012, 11:36:31 AM »
Hi!

I just had a counsellor phone me affiliated with the Terence Higgins Trust.
If anyone told me I would be using one a year ago, I would never have believed it.
I know its not for everyone....but it really helped me and they are arranging more sessions.Its totally confidential and not added to medical records in the UK.

Big ups to The Terence Higgins Trust for their support!!!!!!!!!
Any thoughts, anyone had counselling?

BritchickX

Offline Mishma

• Marquis de Vauban
Re: What do you think of therapy?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 02:51:53 PM »
I have and it helped me get through a very difficult and severe depression about 10 years ago. I was a basket case with suicidal ideations. Following hospitalization I was followed in counseling for about 6 months with my wife present. It helped us both tremendously. In the US the National Association for Mental Illness or NAMI sponsors  education classes for both those affected as well as their love ones in separate classes. In addition, the Veteran's Administration has helped my wife cope with my illness with classes and counseling as well. It may be it is not for everyone as you suggest but I suspect anyone with an open mind could benefit from counseling. Good luck to you as you go forward.

PS When I finally broke through my depression and could at least smile my neighbor said to me, " If you ever find yourself losing your sense of humor, then get on the floor and crawl around until you find it."
2016 CD4 25% UD (less than 20). 27+ years positive. Isentress, Truvada, Acyclovir, Clonazepam, Zolpidem, Bupropion, Lisinopril, Pravastatin, Quetiapine, Doxcycline, Testosterone, Suatriptan/Naproxen, Restasis, Dorzolamide, Latanoprost, Asprin, lortab, Levothyroxine, Fioricet, Restasis, Triamclinolone, Nitrostat.

Offline britchick

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 03:29:03 AM »
Hi Mishma!

Thanks for that reply....I know that  I made a good decision re counselling.Im also glad that it helped you and your family.

Joining this site has also really helped me..........I am slowly getting the old me back....When you hit rock bottom there's only one way to go ...and thats up..onwards and up!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Britchickx

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
  • Vegas baby!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 04:40:01 AM »
Hi Brit,

I've been in therapy a couple times.  The first time I was 16, forced into therapy, then the counselor ended up having sex with me (not good).

The second time helped tremendously, and I'm still in touch once in a while with my therapist.  He and his wife came to my graduation when I got my under-grad.  He saw me through my last horrendous relapse with addiction, in fact I started seeing him when I was first married to my second husband. 

I think it's an essential idea for people who are going through traumatic events, or ones disturbing enough to upset daily routines.  Good luck!
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 10:26:00 AM »
Brit;

I have used therapy a few times in my life to help through some pretty difficult situations, including divorce and now adjusting to being +.  I have found it to be very, very helpful -- just the process of being able to verbalize the situation (thoughts, feelings, concerns, you name it...) and get some impartial and constructive feed back really helps.

I have found that 1.) you get out of it what you put into it - it takes some thought and work, you have to be willing to be honest with yourself and the therapist; 2.) you need to have the right therapist - some one you are very comfortable with and really understands the issues you are dealing with; and 3.) I prefer an active therapist -- someone who will tell me what they really think (even if it means I am part of the problem) and not just listen and nod.

I am currently seeing a therapist now to help me deal with the issues of being positive, and at some point I think i would like to join a support group (which is also a form of therapy) but I am not ready for that yet.  I am learning that the psychological transition is as important as the medical transition (for me anyway).

....that was a long winded way of saying yes, therapy helps allot.

Best to all,

JM
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45%  VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37%  VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39%   VL UD

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 01:10:49 PM »
I have yet to meet a person who wouldn't benefit from some form of therapy! Hell, if they've got horse whisperers, dog whisperers and now cat therapists, is that not indicative that people whisperers can play a valuable role?

Sadly, as BT experienced, there are sick f**ks out there in the mental health world who take advantage of the situation and the patient. For the most part, a good one, be it an MSW, psychologist or psychiatrist, can be beneficial -- even if on a periodic basis to get you through certain issues, or problems.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 01:18:29 PM »
I'm on my fourth therapist in a period spanning about 12 years -- I'm kind of addicted in the Woody Allen mould. I've had gay men, straight men, and one woman (my current one) and I've like all of them except one. He wasn't bad, it was more that I didn't connect with his personality.
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 12:52:15 AM »
I have been in therapy and found it to be very helpful. I use the tools I have learned almost every day. As others have mentioned it is important to find a therapist with whom you have a good connection. Different therapists can have very different styles and methods so when you first meet with a therapist explain what you are looking for and ask how they will help you.

Offline Bbnb

• say Hi! I love to chat !
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 01:02:32 AM »
I have gone to therapy over other issues like my partner passing. I  never thought to go to therapy over coping with my HIV status.  This thread has inspired me to start looking into it.  I wish  there were more  live support groups in my area (Jacksonville) so I could talk and socialize with other HIV + people. Although not therapy. I think this would be the best kind of support for me to receive. 
Just looking to socialized with like minded people.

Offline britchick

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 04:51:03 AM »
Hi BT65,Jmarksto,emeraldize,Miss Philicia,GSOgymrat,Bbnb!!!!

Cheers everyone for your replies....seems like there's a lot of good work going on out there.BT65,Im so sorry for what you went through.

There are no support groups near where  I live.....so this board is  my support group...and its working!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers!

Britchickx

Offline weasel

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 08:51:59 AM »
Hi all !
     I love a good psychologist , At the moment I do not have one , the VA
 goes through them like sands in an hour glass  :o
  I  like the ones that talk as if they were friends . The nodders  get on my nerves , nodding and writing their notes to transcribe later , or worse the ones that TYPE everything as you speak and ask you to slow down  ::)
  I loved my last therapist , she just retired , She had so many incites  to why people are sad , depressed , high anxiety , or just a grump .
   I have used many of her ideas !  The best advice was watch what you eat .
  I love HIV support groups  :)     , although they do not take the place of therapy, they are so much fun . Ours is very nice and is only a 130 mile round trip .

Carl

" Live and let Live "

Offline britchick

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 09:55:12 AM »
Hi Weasel!

Cheers re your advice.Im trying to keep eating healthier too!
Im happy re counselling by phone....as  I feel like im back at school if im sat in an office talking face to face ..........phone makes it easier!!!!!

BritchickX

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.