Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Questions About Treatment & Side Effects

Taking Meds off regular schedule

(1/2) > >>

hypozsc:
I'm scheduled to have an upper endoscopy procedure this week. I was told not to eat or drink after midnight prior to the procedure. Normally I take my meds in the morning about 8:00 but I have to be at the hospital by 7:30 and the procedure isn't until 9:00. I haven't a clue as to how long it will take or what I'm expected to do afterwards but I'm concerned about having to take my meds several hours later than normal. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Ann:
hypo,

Your best bet would be to discuss this with your doctor. I would imagine that a one-time incident of taking your meds after the proceedure would be ok. Does the doc who is doing the proceedure know of your hiv status? If so, you can make arrangements to take your meds at the first possible opportunity.

It might also help if you tell us what meds you are on - some are more forgiving where timing is concerned than others.

Ann

newt:
As a one-off, it is unlikely to make any differnce if you take them several hours late

- matt

Now playing: Babyhead, What's That?

hypozsc:
Thanks Ann & Matt for the replies.

I am taking Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada - my viral load is below 50 and my CD4 is just over 200. I spoke with the ID nurse and she said it was OK to wait but I've had other issues with my current ID staff (getting the wrong dosage of Reyataz and then getting prescribed a proton pump inhibitor which can have severe interactions with Reyataz). I'm in the process of changing ID physicians. Needless to say, I'm leery of what they tell me is OK to do and that's why I posted here for other opinions.

Thanks again!

whizzer:
My physician has told me that dosing up to two hours late is acceptable, but not to make a habit of it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version