POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 12:02:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 639409
  • Total Topics: 48535
  • Online Today: 218
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New Labs / Starting New Meds  (Read 717 times)

Offline jackfrost

New Labs / Starting New Meds
« on: July 19, 2012, 04:46:31 PM »
Had my appointment with the HIV doc today, my CD4 Cells were 640 and my VL undetectable (I have been on Atripla for over a year now). My CD4% was 22%. I told my doctor I hate being on Atripla, I am tired all the time, my dreams are so vivid that I constantly wake up in the night and when I get up for work in the morning I feel like I haven't slept. Then I am groggy and foggy all morning and since I have been on Atripla my short term memory has been horrible. I also told him about the suicidal thoughts I had a few months ago (see my post in mental health for all the crazy fun I went through lol), I told him I wasn't sure if the suicidal thoughts were because of the Atripla or because I was going to support group while waiting to get into group therapy and I was having to discuss difficult things or a combination of both. I said either way I am not comfortable taking Atripla anymore knowing it has CNS side effects and knowing I suffer from major depression. So I am going to start taking Truvada, Reyataz and norvir. I will have blood work done in a month to make sure the virus is still suppressed.

I have been in group therapy for 9 weeks now, it's one of the hardest things I have ever done but also one of the best things I have done in my life. I am addressing a lot of feelings I have about my childhood and a lot of traumatic events that have happened to me, things I never allowed myself to think about or deal with. I had a "family interview with my siblings and my mom" and addressed them about things in my childhood and also told them about having HIV - they were very supportive. I had my "family interview" with my dad this past Tuesday and I also addressed him about my childhood and told him about the HIV, he was very sad for me and felt bad that I didn't feel I could tell him sooner.

I am also allowing myself to be angry at the guy who gave me HIV. I've only ever blamed myself because I knew having sex without a condom could lead to HIV, but I've realized it takes two to tango, and that I can accept responsibility for my actions and also be angry with him at the same time. Just like I can be angry with my parent's even though I understand they did the best they could raising me.

This therapy has been very enlightening, very emotionally exhaustive but I am very happy I am doing it. I still have 9 more weeks to go.

Offline jimbalaya

Re: New Labs / Starting New Meds
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 05:30:53 PM »
I'm happy to hear that group therapy has had some positive effects on your life and your relationships with your family.....I'm also on R/T/N, in fact I just now took my first dose....first time on meds.....I hope that the side effects are better for you on this than Atripla.....the doc gave me and my partner options on drugs (since we don't have any resistance issues) and we decided not to go with atripla because I was nervous about the side effects.....

Best of luck...I'll be curious to hear/compare how you feel on the new meds.   :)

Offline jackfrost

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 01:18:47 AM »
Thanks jimbalaya! I have been on the new combo for a few days now and the only side effect I've had is diarrhea which was to be expected. I slept through the night last night and didn't even have to take a nap today woot woot!

Offline jimbalaya

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 06:28:03 PM »
That's good news....!   ;D

It's been 8 days since my partner and I went on R/T/N and haven't had any GI issues at all....we've both had yellowing of the eyes, and I've had jaundice that comes and goes...I'm hoping that goes away soon...I'm a teacher and school starts on the 16th...I don't want to look like a banana on the first day!   :) 

Our doctors is monitoring our liver levels every few weeks to see if the Bilirubin levels go down...I hope they do because otherwise we both feel great on this combo.   

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 07:10:15 PM »
Hi Jack,
I'm Glad the new combo is working for you, Atripla can be hell for some folks, me being on of them....i was switched to isentress/prezista//norvir and i really love it, no side effects at all.   VL IS BELOW 20

I've finally given on the guy that gave me the virus  It was more my fault than his..  he was a very young guy and really  didn't thing he was at risk.  HE APOLOGIZED TO ME ON MUTUPLE OCCASSIONS AND WE ARE SOMEWHAT FRIENDS.   Not much you can do about it at this point anyway.  i was mad at 'me' more than anything else, i knew better being 39 yrs old

Don't hate the guy that give it to you, try to talk it thru and say whats on your  mind and let it go when u can, you will be surprised what will come out of it.
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.