POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 04:38:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 643435
  • Total Topics: 48957
  • Online Today: 196
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV Hysteria & Facts  (Read 1549 times)

Offline CanadianToAmerica

HIV Hysteria & Facts
« on: September 26, 2014, 02:29:33 PM »
So I am sure many have noticed but from POZ to The Body to Reddit there are so many posts of HIV- people freaking out that they may have got HIV from no risk to low risk activities.  Further more there is the emotional backdrop that their life is over, that they are soon going to die, and so on and so on.

I almost think the next big campaign that HIV & Aids Organizations do should be focused on educating people on the realities of transmission and how close we are to effectively eliminating HIV

*When I say eliminating HIV I do not mean a cure but by minimizing the infection rates by these great new powerhouse medications like Stribild and Triumeq.  With each generation having less and less new infections and so forth*

I personally think this could do two huge things.  The first is it could start to diminish the stigma so people didn't associate HIV with the Grim Reaper which still haunts us to this day.  And lastly with letting people know that with the medications we have and are developing there is a real chance to eliminate or at least greatly reduce HIV as a presence in the world both now and in the future.  Could be good for a big second push of fundraising/donations.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the whole thing.  Anyone else have some good ideas or think this may be a good way to move forward?

Offline Ptrk3

Re: HIV Hysteria & Facts
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 03:36:19 PM »
I agree with you that it's always good to promote education about the major vectors of HIV transmission, which I believe is ongoing but, sadly, not as effective since rates seem to be rising among vulnerable sectors of the population (for whatever reason).  Education efforts need to continue and be increased, ramped up.  However, there will always be people who fear transmission from activities that don't cause transmission of HIV (I mean the really silly stuff, like sharing a towel or something).  They will always be there, as they are for many diseases, not just HIV, the people who think every headache is a blastoma.

But there does need to be a balance, since there are limited dollars.  Yes, much should be used to promote awareness to stop transmission, the best and most cost effective way to eliminate HIV.  But I'd also like dollars still flowing toward research for a "functional" cure.  It seems to me that a "sterilizing" cure may be far off, but maybe a "functional" cure is closer.  We haven't eliminated HIV if people are still living with it, writes I, selfishly, since I am burdened with HIV (aids, technically). 

But I do understand your point and I do agree with it.  You are correct.  One way or another--or more likely, using the two-fronted strategy of education and medical research--we are closer every day to putting HIV in the same place as smallpox. Now is the time to double down on all fronts and finish the job.

Maybe now that the same-sex marriage civil-rights struggle in the States has pretty much been won (I know there's more to go), perhaps the intensity used for that effort--since the mobilization is in place--can shift back to finishing up the HIV agenda (though I am forever grateful to the early warriors who got us this far--ACT UP, in particular, and the tireless medical researchers, that brought us the life-saving meds of the day. Many of us would be gone without the struggle and sacrifice of the first generation of aids victims, so we the living owe it to those  many angels: end HIV, whatever it takes).

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 04:21:26 PM »
So I am sure many have noticed but from POZ to The Body to Reddit there are so many posts of HIV- people freaking out that they may have got HIV from no risk to low risk activities.  Further more there is the emotional backdrop that their life is over, that they are soon going to die, and so on and so on.

I almost think the next big campaign that HIV & Aids Organizations do should be focused on educating people on the realities of transmission and how close we are to effectively eliminating HIV

*When I say eliminating HIV I do not mean a cure but by minimizing the infection rates by these great new powerhouse medications like Stribild and Triumeq.  With each generation having less and less new infections and so forth*

I personally think this could do two huge things.  The first is it could start to diminish the stigma so people didn't associate HIV with the Grim Reaper which still haunts us to this day.  And lastly with letting people know that with the medications we have and are developing there is a real chance to eliminate or at least greatly reduce HIV as a presence in the world both now and in the future.  Could be good for a big second push of fundraising/donations.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the whole thing.  Anyone else have some good ideas or think this may be a good way to move forward?

There has always been hysteria about sickness and there will always be OCD types, crazy people, ignorant people and people with little critical thinking skills who can't understand and evaluate information.  What's your point exactly? That here is more hysteria?

There has always been hysteria about this disease but there have been clear facts about it for over 20 years and there have been campaigns about HIV since the mid 1980's so whats your point? That these campaigns never existed and your suggestion is they start?  Huh? There has been public info based on facts since the get go.

There is a limited amt of money governments have for anything and its being spread around to both educate everyone to helpfully avoid HIV infections and to properly take care of people who are HIV+.

You are mixing info about the effectiveness of HIV treatment (and cure stuff) but thats not even especially new news. But sure I'll agree with you on that - and wouldn't everyone agree with your point. Sure, the good news about effective treatment for HIV+ people, and what effective treatment means for curtailing the spread of HIV - sure the message needs to get out.   Anyone saying otherwise?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 04:25:09 PM by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 06:00:04 PM »
There has always been hysteria about this disease but there have been clear facts about it for over 20 years and there have been campaigns about HIV since the mid 1980's so whats your point? That these campaigns never existed and your suggestion is they start?  Huh? There has been public info based on facts since the get go.

There is a limited amt of money governments have for anything and its being spread around to both educate everyone to helpfully avoid HIV infections and to properly take care of people who are HIV+.
It sounds like it's time for the OP to take a look at his local area for ASOs,  HIV task force, Health Dpt, HIV Planning Council, etc. People and agencies have been doing prevention/education work for over 30 yrs. Could more be done? Of course. But that takes money and people willing to do the work. Find out who's already doing HIV advocacy, prevention, education work and volunteer with time or money to do more.

"the end of aids", "getting to zero", "rush to zero", "20 - 20 visioning an aids free world", all the campaigns about PrEP.

that "next big campaign" has been going on for years and years - it's just that, sadly,  a lot of our target audience hasn't been listening.

here in America, we've gotten the annual rate of hiv infection down to about 50k a year, where it has plateaued for over a decade. I think probably every HIV prevention/education dept. is searching for that "perfect" message to reach those last people. Because we have seen drops of infection rates in some areas, we know our current messages DO reach many people. However, every year another 50k ignore our messages and end up infected. Anyone who thinks they can help get a better/different message out is always welcome to the table to do the work to try to reduce HIV infection through education/knowledge.  ;)
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Offline Ptrk3

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 06:13:06 PM »
I was thinking of starting a new thread, but this story may have relevance in the ongoing discussion in this thread (moderators:  feel free to move if you'd like).  From today's Aidsmeds.  It seems like the risks of HIV may not be getting through (I may have been one of those people, to my lasting regret):

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/kaiser_study_1667_26243.shtml

Offline mecch

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 06:30:09 PM »
Hey CanadianToAmerica I apologise if my post is cranky or crotchety. Your "Eureka moment" just seemed historically naive to me but thats because I'm not you (I'm guessing you are young) I'm an over 50 crank and people like us have seen it all - plus ca change plus cest la meme chose...
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 06:39:44 PM »
Hey CanadianToAmerica I apologise if my post is cranky or crotchety. Your "Eureka moment" just seemed historically naive to me but thats because I'm not you (I'm guessing you are young) I'm an over 50 crank and people like us have seen it all - plus ca change plus cest la meme chose...

haha no worries.  it's smart replies like that they keep me educated and us younger folks trying new things and new ways to move forward.

I guess for someone in this age with the medicine where it is I can't believe we are still having the same rates of transmission.  Seems like we should get everyone on medicine and start cutting these numbers once and for all (haha my god reading through my post I am naïve).  but cheers at least we're at such a good time in history :)

Offline drewm

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 10:00:02 PM »
For what it's worth, I was talking to an HIV/AIDS researcher who thinks we will be at a point where the virus goes dormant (because of drugs), in essence, no longer causing damage or being able to be transmitted long before we can eradicate the virus from one's body.

As for today, treatment is the BEST option available and without TREATMENT, HIV and AIDS ends the same way...DEATH.
Diagnosed in  May of 2010 with teh AIDS.

PCP Pneumonia . CD4 8 . VL 500,000

ATRIPLA - VALTREX -  FLUOXETINE - FENOFIBRATE

Numbers consistent since 12/2010 - VL has remained undetectable and CD4 is anywhere from 275-325

Offline Joe K

• Global Moderator
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 10:14:28 PM »
HIV prevention messages have been published for decades.  No matter how many venues you try, you cannot make people follow the messages.  Personally, I think we will see a huge shift, from promoting condoms to promoting being UD and PreP.

The face of HIV is about to change very dramatically, assuming your country can afford the price.  Still, the cost of PreP is far less than a life of antivirals, so this will fit in well with efforts to control health care costs.

No, we don't have a cure, but we seem to have found the next best thing.  Provide antivirals to both poz and neg alike and stop infections in their tracks.

Sometimes, perspective is everything.

Joe

Offline Ptrk3

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 11:12:52 PM »
Thanks, drewm, for sharing the hopeful message of the researcher with whom you were speaking:  dormant would be good enough for me!  I hope he's right.  That would be great for all mankind.

Offline leatherman

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 12:33:08 AM »
I guess for someone in this age with the medicine where it is I can't believe we are still having the same rates of transmission.  Seems like we should get everyone on medicine and start cutting these numbers once and for all

to get them on meds, we have to get them into healthcare first (medicaid expansion sure would have helped in the southern states), and then keep them in care, before we can even work on adherence
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 11:10:18 AM »
HIV prevention messages have been published for decades.  No matter how many venues you try, you cannot make people follow the messages.  Personally, I think we will see a huge shift, from promoting condoms to promoting being UD and PreP.

The face of HIV is about to change very dramatically, assuming your country can afford the price.  Still, the cost of PreP is far less than a life of antivirals, so this will fit in well with efforts to control health care costs.
They may have had HIV prevention messages for decades but they were not reaching the masses.. It needs to be broadcast in the mainstream media like those commercials on the war on drugs, you know the egg in the frying pan "This is your brain on drugs".. Maybe Obama has to declare a war on HIV and promote it.. Before my dx, I thought AIDS was a death sentence and only happened to Gays, IV users and people who got tainted blood transfusions.. What that proves is that HIV hasn't reached the mainstream since the really bad days.

Nowadays, people can live with it if on medicine but due to the stigma associated with it, many go into hiding their dx, me included.. I understand what the OP was trying to say here with all the advances, I think its time spread the good news and education to "everyone", not just the high risk communities but all communities.

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2014, 11:21:44 AM »
Another example that HIV ignorance is alive and well...
http://www.intelligencer.ca/2014/09/26/ignorance-still-a-major-risk-for-hiv-aids

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2014, 02:28:55 PM »

No, we don't have a cure, but we seem to have found the next best thing.  Provide antivirals to both poz and neg alike and stop infections in their tracks.

Sometimes, perspective is everything.

Joe

This is what I was trying to get across, Thanks Joe for wording it way better than I was... :)

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2014, 02:31:31 PM »

to get them on meds, we have to get them into healthcare first (medicaid expansion sure would have helped in the southern states), and then keep them in care, before we can even work on adherence

leatherman as a Canadian it's a bit hard to understand your guys healthcare system.  I thought with obamacare this whole issue of not getting treatment and such was no longer an issue?

Offline buginme2

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2014, 02:39:16 PM »
leatherman as a Canadian it's a bit hard to understand your guys healthcare system.  I thought with obamacare this whole issue of not getting treatment and such was no longer an issue?

It's complicated

Because there are a large number of people who are not linked to care, retained in care etc does not mean it is because they lack access to care.   They may, but there are lots and lots and lots of factors at play.

Most if not all hiv positive people in the US have access to care and meds.  I'm sure there are some who fall through the cracks but in general people are receiving medical care who seek it. 

That's not the whole story though.

Offline Joe K

• Global Moderator
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 05:05:19 PM »
They may have had HIV prevention messages for decades but they were not reaching the masses.. It needs to be broadcast in the mainstream media like those commercials on the war on drugs, you know the egg in the frying pan "This is your brain on drugs".. Maybe Obama has to declare a war on HIV and promote it.. Before my dx, I thought AIDS was a death sentence and only happened to Gays, IV users and people who got tainted blood transfusions.. What that proves is that HIV hasn't reached the mainstream since the really bad days.

Nowadays, people can live with it if on medicine but due to the stigma associated with it, many go into hiding their dx, me included.. I understand what the OP was trying to say here with all the advances, I think its time spread the good news and education to "everyone", not just the high risk communities but all communities.

Sorry, but I cannot agree.  HIV has been in the mainstream news for decades.  I've been in advocacy for a very long time and messages about HIV have appeared just about everywhere.  Just because you didn't get the message, may simply mean you were not looking for it.

Joe

Offline mecch

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2014, 05:25:38 PM »

Spend a part of your life with no access or precarious access to care. Then its in the bones. Or in poverty where costly care is judged and shamed because it is drain on a family's incredibly tight budget.

It wasn't unusual in the 90s and 2000s to free care health fairs in convention centers and have people come from very far away and wait forever for the chance to see a doctor and get some diagnosis and care.  Or to go to a clinic in a mall's drug store because thats all that was affordable.

People go bankrupt from medical bills.

I knew people in the 80's and 90's who killed themselves for lack of medical care.

Obamacare is a Republican term of resentment and anger, for the most part. Can you learn its official name - the Affordable Care Act.  Thank you.

It has not solved an entrenched problem overnight.  And many states have Republican governors and legislatures who do whatever possible to block the rollout to their states' citizens in needs.

Because Freedom. Because handouts.  Because being poor and/or sick in the USA is a sin, and a sign of bad character.

Learn something about the culture of your neighbour.

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 06:51:35 PM »
Sorry, but I cannot agree.  HIV has been in the mainstream news for decades.  I've been in advocacy for a very long time and messages about HIV have appeared just about everywhere.  Just because you didn't get the message, may simply mean you were not looking for it.

Joe
Oh, I had no idea I was suppose to look for it.. Where was I suppose to find these messages that have been widespread in the public media?.. The only places the message has been spread was in the gay community and on sites like this one.. Why do I even bother.. It's your show Joe, have fun.

Offline mecch

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 07:28:31 PM »
Before your hissy fit makes you quit in a huff, why don't you share your experience and enlighten others - like myself. Clarify why sex education never reached you? Where did you come of age, for example?
See, for people like myself 50 - HIV and STD info was right left and center for a long long time. So maybe I take things for granted and would like to learn about others experience.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 07:39:59 PM by mecch »

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2014, 07:53:52 PM »
Sorry I didn't mean to feed into a situation that you have in the states.

The Affordable Care Act in Canada is almost always called Obamacare because that's how we hear about it on cnn and such.  Canadians by majority love Obama and think the republican party is a bunch of southern rednecks.  This is it's own bias but it's how you will hear a lot of Canadians speak.  So when I used the term it wasn't meant in an offensive way, I really didn't know the actual term and I by no means think that a society should treat the health of it's citizens as some kind of privilege.  So all in all definitely not trying to demean the program or side with an ideology I find abhorrent.

I do have to agree with the other poster though, I am a straight man and the message isn't getting out.  Even here in Canada.  It's prevalent in the LGBT community and at risk populations but the regular straight man never hears about HIV.  This is fact.

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2014, 07:56:43 PM »
*Addition: I think it may be because in the straight male world we never suffered the heart aches and trials of the 80's and 90's and most have never had exposure to someone with HIV or even know someone that knows someone with HIV.  We don't have the same kind of cultural backdrop as the LGBT community does in this respect and so I think that is why you still have so much misinformation and such as I stated in my first post.

Offline Joe K

• Global Moderator
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2014, 08:54:35 PM »
With all due respect to some of the comments here... The reason that HIV prevention information has been prevalent in the gay community, is that gays took it upon themselves to warn each other.  I grew up in Detroit and we tried to get into the Black community, to warn the men about being on the "down low", only to be rebuked and insulted, because we were a bunch of fags.

Since I lived in the suburbs, I was accused of being some rich white boy, coming into the city to tell blacks what they should do.  I was already poz, so I could have stayed home, but I knew we had to try and reach anybody who was at risk.

We got the same reception from the straight community.  They saw no reason to worry about a disease that was only killing gays and IV drug users.  You must remember this was in the early 1980s.  I was spit on, assaulted and denigrated simply because I wanted to share HIV prevention messages.

Before any of you folks decide that somehow HIV prevention messages never made it to your part of the world, you should consider that's because nobody but the gay community made much of an effort to make a difference.  Couple that with the absolute apathy of Americans and especially Ronny Raygun, who could not even utter the word "AIDS", until almost the end of his 2nd term.

Am I angry.... damn right I am.  Thousands of folks, just like me, did our best to warn as many people as we could.  When some of you, have a couple of decades of advocacy under your belt, then you can criticize all that was done to try and protect groups of people, who could not be bothered while my friends died and now want to complain that prevention information never reached them.

Maybe you should have gotten involved and made a difference.

It's so easy to sit and bitch, when you have no skin in the game.

Joe

modified to add:

After I gave it some thought, I realize the utter arrogance of some people.  Unless you lived in isolation, you knew HIV existed.  Stop blaming others, because nobody spoon fed you prevention information, when you knew it existed.  Stop blaming others for your own mistakes. 

To me, that is what this is all about for some of you.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 09:31:12 PM by Joe K »

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2014, 09:36:24 PM »
Hi Joe,

I am so sorry if I gave the impression that you and others didn't try and get the message out.  Or that those currently involved in advocacy and outreach are not trying to help inform and educate outside of the LGBT community.

When I said in my last post about our niche of society not going through the 80's and 90's that is kind of what I was trying to get across.  I think if we had went through that period with as much pain, loss, and involvement as other communities than we would have a broader presence in the advocacy and awareness sphere.

I can't speak for the other poster but I am sure that is what he meant too.

It's people like you and others that have made it so that although in many cases it's after infection we are able to educate ourselves and seek treatment.  It's researchers and others that have helped by making that treatment both fantastically effective and available.

So I want to make incredibly clear that I and others are forever grateful.  And I think it was our communities own ignorance and prejudice that in many ways lead to a lot of suffering and pain within our own circles.

Again I am sorry for any anger I may have caused, I am not the best speaker.

And to address your edit I agree one hundred percent.  The heterosexual community knows about HIV/AIDS.  However like you mentioned in your own post there is an ignorance and in some cases prejudice towards it - believing it only to be a Homosexual, IV, and "Other" communities issue.  The simple fact is that within the Heterosexual community even here in Canada the regular straight man largely is unaware of HIV believing it to be as common as finding a hundred dollars on the street.  It's simply not on our minds.  This isn't a blame on anyone else or a not taking of responsibility, just a fact that hopefully as a heterosexual community we can take responsibility for and do the same kind of foundational building and awareness/advocacy that the LGBT community has done for everyone.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 09:43:04 PM by CanadianToAmerica »

Offline leatherman

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2014, 09:56:59 PM »
I'm sure there are some who fall through the cracks but in general people are receiving medical care who seek it.
I would agree with you; but qualify it as a "just barely". Hundreds of thousands of people in the South are too "rich" to receive assistance but too "poor" to purchase health care. Every one of those people could receive immediate access to health care if only our "red" states would accept medicaid expansion program of the ACA. And part of those hundred of thousands are poor HIV+ people. Instead of having a payer source to cover their health care, the meds for these positive people are often funded by agencies using non-discretionary funds to purchase meds. These clients don't receive any other health care unless the clinics are lucky enough to have a few more funds.

Although it's thanks to ADAP and ASOs, that many HIV positive people can get access to meds; a lot of patients are without any other health care.

A friend of mine is fighting off cancer that might just get the best of him. Sadly, as he didn't qualify for any assistance (no Medicaid Expansion here) and was too poor to purchase insurance, his cancer went unscreened - even though he voiced his complaints/issues - until he ended up in a hospital. I just have to believe that he if hadn't been a "charity case" and had some sort of coverage, this might have been diagnosed and treated earlier :(

oh and any Disproportionate Share funding is being taken away from hospitals. those are funds the fed govt pays hospitals to treat the poor and indigent. however those funds are being shifted under the ACA to cover the costs of "expanding" the rolls as people are added to Medicaid Expansion. That shift is already closing down hospitals in some of the least served areas. In parts of the south, we're beginning to see "health care deserts" where there simply is no health care to be had - even if one has "access" via a Medicaid card.
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

Offline Joe K

• Global Moderator
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2014, 10:12:09 PM »
Canadian,

Thank you so much for your post.  I'm not looking for thanks and I really appreciate your being able to understand what I meant, even through my anger.  I'm also Canadian and I live in Montreal and there are no mass media campaigns for HIV prevention.  There are however, many clinics and community services that provide prevention information as well as treat the infected.

I grew up in the States and most Canadians I meet, just can't fathom the health care system in the US.  It's colored the world of medicine forever and even today as evidenced by leathermans post^^^.  In a way, the two countries view HIV very differently and they have taken different approaches.

I think that the saddest part about HIV prevention is the apathy that most people feel.  It's something that happens to someone else, until it happens to them.

Sometimes, we humans, are our own worst enemies.

Joe

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2014, 10:58:32 PM »
Well from one Canadian to another "Eh" lol.

In all seriousness it's nice to see people like you coming to Canada, makes our country just a bit better.  And your totally right.  It's very hard for me to understand the things that leatherman brings to light.  Being a life long Canadian it's almost unfathomable that our neighbor has that messed up of a healthcare system....

Offline leatherman

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2014, 11:13:39 PM »
I think that the saddest part about HIV prevention is the apathy that most people feel.  It's something that happens to someone else, until it happens to them.
sometimes it's not just the apathy but the funding that is influenced by that apathy.

HIV prevention/education dollars are few and far between, and the few allocated resources tend to go towards HIV health care and meds. What's leftover for prevention goes to targeted interventions. That means that the prevention education the OP wishes he had seen wasn't even an agenda item because there probably wasn't money for it.

For example in the South, our prevention dollars go mainly towards programs geared toward black MSMs, who are the highest risk group; then towards black straight women. Prevention messages designed for white MSMs, Latinos, white heterosexual women, and heterosexual men (white or black) are non-existent. Those groups just receive the general sex ed/HIV education that is required by whatever the local policies dictate. I hate this targeted funding because all I can foresee as we don't speak directly to white MSMs and Latinos is that in the future those groups will have the rising infection rates because we missed out on educating them

However to follow along with Joe, I have a thought or two. this is 2014, who hasn't heard of AIDS and/or HIV? Who doesn't know that it's a deadly disease? who doesn't know they ought to protect themselves? Oh that's right. the people who don't "know" are all those foolish people who continue to expose themselves to syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia - and even pregnancy. My state has the 5th highest rate for chlamydia, 4th for gonorrhea, 13th for syphilis, and the 9th highest rate of teen pregnancy. Every one of those people who made up those rates ignored multiple warnings and prevention messages that have been in place for more than 50 years.

but don't feel like I'm calling anyone out. I'm just pointing out how the messages have been out there and yet people just continue to ignore them. I give hell to every one of my friends who "accidentally" gets pregnant. Matter of fact, they are usually pretty loathe to even tell me. They know my first reaction is not all that whoop-de-do so glad you're knocked up congratulatory BS; but I immediately ask them have they been tested for STDs. Are they sure they aren't HIV+, because that'll make a difference having a baby. It amazes me that, even pregnant, they still don't understand the risk they put themselves in having that unprotected sex. ::)

I'm afraid after generations of messaging (teen pregnancy, STDs, HIV), people have simply not been able to learn that there can be severe consequences to unprotected sex. sigh!  :'( I don't believe though that that is the fault of the people who have been doing the messaging.  ;)
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2014, 07:50:54 PM »
I've thought about posting a few times but really wanted to think it out.  Since sexual education has always been geared to the heterosexual community and that message failed miserably and continues to do so, what more can be done? 

Sure, it's all great to get people UD and on PREP but that still doesn't address the other burdens of unprotected sex. It'd be interesting to find some links on the costs associated with unwanted pregnancies in regards to public assistance.  Did these people all miss class the day that was discussed?

And with having immediate access to a wealth of information at our finger tips, it is ridiculous to believe others are at fault for not spoon feeding people the realities of unprotected sex.  You'd think people would want to spend as much googling sexual health as they do researching the newest and latest phone models.
Complacency is the enemy.  ;)  Challenge yourself daily for maximum  return on investment.

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2014, 10:14:51 PM »

After I gave it some thought, I realize the utter arrogance :P of some people.  Unless you lived in isolation, you knew HIV existed.  Stop blaming others, because nobody spoon fed you prevention information, when you knew it existed.  Stop blaming others for your own mistakes. 

To me, that is what this is all about for some of you.
I'm not arrogant and I'm not blaming anyone for my aids.. I just disagree with you

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2014, 11:18:14 AM »
I recently was on Dr.Joel's forum and saw a Q&A that kinda hits home for me.. Thought it would fit well in this thread..

Anonymous Asked

Question: Why did you use the term "Post-AIDS" era recently in San Diego? My partner has a CD4 count of 110 and it has gone up some on Stribild, but I can assure you that that there are many people here in Miami with AIDS. Also, undocumented immigrants often don't have access to treatment. Don't you think it might me a bit dangerous to have people believing that AIDS is a thing of the past?

Answer: I haven’t been in San Diego in several years, but I might have said or written something like that elsewhere. 

When I say “post-AIDS,” a commonly used term, it doesn’t mean that people don’t still get AIDS. It refers to the fact that we’re now in an era in which AIDS, rather than being the inevitable consequence of HIV infection, now represents a failure of public health or health policy. It means that we’re not following current screening guidelines, that we don’t have adequate health care resources, that we’e not covering undocumented immigrants, that we’re not doing enough to keep people retained in care. 

AIDS is now society’s failure rather than the failure of our immune systems.

Once again, proof the masses are not getting the message.

Offline Joe K

• Global Moderator
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2014, 02:35:59 PM »
I recently was on Dr.Joel's forum and saw a Q&A that kinda hits home for me.. Thought it would fit well in this thread..

Anonymous Asked

Question: Why did you use the term "Post-AIDS" era recently in San Diego? My partner has a CD4 count of 110 and it has gone up some on Stribild, but I can assure you that that there are many people here in Miami with AIDS. Also, undocumented immigrants often don't have access to treatment. Don't you think it might me a bit dangerous to have people believing that AIDS is a thing of the past?

Answer: I haven’t been in San Diego in several years, but I might have said or written something like that elsewhere. 

When I say “post-AIDS,” a commonly used term, it doesn’t mean that people don’t still get AIDS. It refers to the fact that we’re now in an era in which AIDS, rather than being the inevitable consequence of HIV infection, now represents a failure of public health or health policy. It means that we’re not following current screening guidelines, that we don’t have adequate health care resources, that we’e not covering undocumented immigrants, that we’re not doing enough to keep people retained in care. 

AIDS is now society’s failure rather than the failure of our immune systems.

Once again, proof the masses are not getting the message.

This proves no such thing regarding HIV prevention messages.  Instead it highlights the changes in HIV treatment and the fact that those changes need to be properly funded to be most successful.  The sad fact is that funds for HIV, in all forms, are finite and sometimes tough choices must be made.

If I had to choose between expanding HIV prevention messages or funding ACTUAL HIV treatment, the choice is clear.  People who are old enough to have sex are old enough to be responsible for their own sexual health.  HIV prevention information has been around for decades, if one cared to look.

I simply cannot have any sympathy for people complaining that it is the responsibility of others to protect them from their own bad choices.

Joe

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2014, 05:34:17 PM »
I simply cannot have any sympathy for people complaining that it is the responsibility of others to protect them from their own bad choices.
Never asked for your sympathy nor do I need it... Besides last time I looked on this forum, it's FULL of people who made bad choices... Now who's being arrogant?

Offline leatherman

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2014, 07:32:26 PM »
The sad fact is that funds for HIV, in all forms, are finite and sometimes tough choices must be made.
ftw!
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2014, 08:31:37 PM »

Offline wolfter

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2014, 07:48:57 AM »
The messages and warnings are out there and too many choose to ignore it and take risks.  Not just with HIV/AIDS but with all sorts of other ailments.  Just fathom how many die from smoking cigarettes and that is the number 1 preventable cause of death.  Has that message not been around for ages?

Humans choose self will and ignore warnings all the time.  I regularly choose that 4th glass of white zin even though I know I shouldn't.  I know the risks and take my chances.   :o 
Complacency is the enemy.  ;)  Challenge yourself daily for maximum  return on investment.

Offline leatherman

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2014, 10:19:49 AM »
The messages and warnings are out there and too many choose to ignore it and take risks.
the messages about the consequences of unprotected sex have been out there in general society for as long as heterosexuals have been getting pregnant and STDs. Just because HIV and HPV have been added in the last generation didn't change the warnings that much. Not heeding the safe sex warnings that have been out for centuries is really no excuse.

fyi, in 1984 I stupidly ignored the warnings myself because as a gay man I knew I couldn't get my partners pregnant. Too bad I totally overlooked all the messages about syphilis, gonorrhea, and chlamydia or I might not have been infected with HIV ;) :(
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2014, 10:28:29 AM »

fyi, in 1984 I stupidly ignored the warnings myself because as a gay man I knew I couldn't get my partners pregnant. Too bad I totally overlooked all the messages about syphilis, gonorrhea, and chlamydia or I might not have been infected with HIV ;) :(

We were able to take risks back then since all we had to worry about was a few shots in the ass.  That was worth the risk.  ;)  We didn't know we'd soon start dying from getting poked, and poked and poked some more.  lol

I  did change my behaviors when it became apparent that this virus might actually be outside of the reported zones....ALAS, too late.  Too much previous poking took its toll.  The only messages I heard about queer sex was how we'd all pay the price for being queers.  And for a while, it seemed like it might truly happen just as Reverend Lynn had preached.

Offline Joe K

• Global Moderator
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2014, 11:07:24 AM »
Never asked for your sympathy nor do I need it... Besides last time I looked on this forum, it's FULL of people who made bad choices... Now who's being arrogant?

Please stop with the pity party.  I am directing my comments to the subject at hand, not you personally, as I have never referenced you directly.  You seem to have some unresolved anger issues that have absolutely nothing to do with me.

Joe

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2014, 08:20:03 PM »

Online lookatme41

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2014, 09:34:05 PM »

Joe

What going Joe first time poster I love the forum and a good discussion so I hope you don't mine me butting in but I feel there were more news and media coverage about HIV early on i have yet to see a commercial on pep on TV.did not know what pep was until i came to this site. lastly heterosexuals people do not go looking for education on HIV because they think their low risk so it do not pertain to them sadly misinformed

Offline Joe K

• Global Moderator
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2014, 09:57:04 PM »
What going Joe first time poster I love the forum and a good discussion so I hope you don't mine me butting in but I feel there were more news and media coverage about HIV early on i have yet to see a commercial on pep on TV.did not know what pep was until i came to this site. lastly heterosexuals people do not go looking for education on HIV because they think their low risk so it do not pertain to them sadly misinformed

Threads are open to all members so you joining the discussion is welcome.  However, I cannot agree with some of your statements.  The reason you don't see commercials for PEP on TV is because there are limited funds for HIV education and providing treatment for those already infected, takes the majority of those funds.  Medical professionals are well aware of PEP and it is offered where it matters, when someone has a definite risk that may result in their becoming positive.

It's the same with the heterosexual world, they know HIV exists and ultimately it is their responsibility to know the risks, since they are ultimately the only ones who can protect themselves.  Suggesting that the HIV community has somehow failed, by not blanketing the media about HIV issues is simply not realistic.

Implying that someone else is responsible, because you didn't bother to learn about sexually transmitted diseases, is just another form of denial.  In a perfect world, there would be money for all of it.  Reality dictates we do the best that we can, with what we have and treatment will always take precedence over prevention.

Joe

Online Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2014, 10:01:24 PM »

Welcome to the forum Lookatme . Please introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what brings you to the forum . Are you HIV positive ?

Offline leatherman

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2014, 11:37:36 PM »
lastly heterosexuals people do not go looking for education on HIV because they think their low risk so it do not pertain to them sadly misinformed
but heterosexuals, through basic hetero-normative sex ed, are often educated about the risk of pregnancy and STDs, and most of the same precautions that would stop an unwanted pregnancy or transmission of an STD would also stop the transmission of HIV. While more HIV education wouldn't hurt, we really don't need to create more education for heterosexuals - we just need them to follow the basic sex ed precautions they were already taught.
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.