Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Nutrition & HIV

Bodybuilding/Fitness & Meal Plans

<< < (2/7) > >>

Common_ground:
I am more interested about specific workout and nutritional routines to be being poz. Any particular tips?

Did chest and abs today, bench press 3 sets @ 10 reps 100 lbs and that was hard!

I lost strength since I got my dx ( I dont think related to the disease or meds but just being a train wreck mentally).

Also trying to adjust my eating: At least 2-3 liters pure still water a day, besides that I drink mostly milk, I eat a lot of fruit,some beans,nuts, and yoghurt. Besides this I just eat regular meals.

Never any problems with bowel movements or diarrhea. ( Im on meds)

No sweet drinks with high sugar, processed foods, trans fat and sweet or deep fried stuff, alcohol, drugs or smokes.

I also do supplements: calcium, omega 3 fish oil, zinc and multivitamin./ One tab each per day. 

denb45:
I'm not a bodybuilder, I'm just very well toned  ;)

It's not perfect, some days you won't feel like doing it ( I have those days) and sometimes I take a break for about a 1 day or 2

I don't know how old you are or how long you've been doing this..

My advice, keep at it, it's hard work, it's not easy, ( not even for me) but I sometimes push myself to the limit..

it's not about how much you can lift, it's the more reps you can do
you have to find what method works for you and what your body is comfortable with  ;)

supplements are good, I take them once a day, they seem to help @ my age  :)

don't give up and good luck  :D

Bbnb:
 I have been attempting to keep fit for years but really turned up the pace  on my nutrition and fitness a out a year ago. 

I have mainly stuck to a muscle building routine which has allowed me to make muscle gains and lose some fat and decrease several clothing sizes . I am still in a high protein /better carb nutrition plan but have increased my cardio recently seeing some gains in fat loss.   

I typically do a muscle building plan 3 to 4 days a week. Currently i am breaking it up itno a upper body/lower body workout days. Previously was doing a push/pull routine. i do cardio of some type everyday usually in the form of bike riding, walking, or the elliptical. I also do some kayaking when I get the chance. 

iamstill not at my ideal weight but my doctors are no longer bugging me about getting active because the changes to my lifestyle were obvious. 

My diet as stated before is typically a high protein/ better carb diet consisting of tie,s like: skim milk whey protein, oats, smoothies, fruits veggies, whole  grain bread.   I try to avoid sugar and use honey as a sweetener.  All of this is spread out over 6  meals a day.  I am not perfect in my adherence but I do pretty good.

Delby:

--- Quote from: Delby on July 18, 2012, 03:25:28 AM ---Hi All,

Been a while since I've posted but been busy with living! There is not enough info on these forums for people that are very interested in bodybuilding/weightlifting and keeping fit. I know when I was first diagnosed I thought I'd never exercise again. There could be others out there that feel HIV puts a ceiling on how much work you can do at the gym. So I thought I'd start a post where we can all chip in with our exercise routines and meal plans. Would be good to exchange notes and help esch other.
--- Quote from: Bbnb on July 26, 2012, 01:14:50 AM --- I have been attempting to keep fit for years but really turned up the pace  on my nutrition and fitness a out a year ago. 

I have mainly stuck to a muscle building routine which has allowed me to make muscle gains and lose some fat and decrease several clothing sizes . I am still in a high protein /better carb nutrition plan but have increased my cardio recently seeing some gains in fat loss.   

I typically do a muscle building plan 3 to 4 days a week. Currently i am breaking it up itno a upper body/lower body workout days. Previously was doing a push/pull routine. i do cardio of some type everyday usually in the form of bike riding, walking, or the elliptical. I also do some kayaking when I get the chance. 

iamstill not at my ideal weight but my doctors are no longer bugging me about getting active because the changes to my lifestyle were obvious. 

My diet as stated before is typically a high protein/ better carb diet consisting of tie,s like: skim milk whey protein, oats, smoothies, fruits veggies, whole  grain bread.   I try to avoid sugar and use honey as a sweetener.  All of this is spread out over 6  meals a day.  I am not perfect in my adherence but I do pretty good.

--- End quote ---

Interesting. My training schedule is:

Mon: Back & Bi's
Tuesday: Cardio
Wed: Chest & Tri's
Thurs: Cardio
Friday: Legs, Core/abs
Sat: Shoulders/Traps
Sunday: REST!

I try to complete my workout in under 1hr. I usually do 3 sets per excersise (12,10,8 reps increasing weight) and do about 3-4 exercises per bodypart depending on what i'm doing. If it's back & bi's then i'll do 4 x back and only 2 x bis as your already engaging the arms.

My nutrition is 4-5 small meals per day. Can't take whey as i'm lactose intolerant and i tend to go for high protein, low carbs. Current bodyfat % is 17, but reckon it's now about 16%. Want to get down to about 10-13% BF if i can.

Not sure whether having low BF is healthy for us HIVers?

What other supps does anyone take? Glutamine? BCAA's?

One thing I have noticed is I build muscle very slowly compared to my workout partners. I train just as hard or if not harder (6 days a week) and I eat very well consisting of 5-6 small meals a day with plenty of protein. However I do suffer from ulcerative colitis and insomnia which definatley get in the way.

Happy to exchange notes guys and gals so get posting and let's help each other. 

Delby

--- End quote ---

Bbnb:

--- Quote from: Delby on July 26, 2012, 11:02:46 AM ---Interesting. My training schedule is:

Mon: Back & Bi's
Tuesday: Cardio
Wed: Chest & Tri's
Thurs: Cardio
Friday: Legs, Core/abs
Sat: Shoulders/Traps
Sunday: REST!

I try to complete my workout in under 1hr. I usually do 3 sets per excersise (12,10,8 reps increasing weight) and do about 3-4 exercises per bodypart depending on what i'm doing. If it's back & bi's then i'll do 4 x back and only 2 x bis as your already engaging the arms.

My nutrition is 4-5 small meals per day. Can't take whey as i'm lactose intolerant and i tend to go for high protein, low carbs. Current bodyfat % is 17, but reckon it's now about 16%. Want to get down to about 10-13% BF if i can.

Not sure whether having low BF is healthy for us HIVers?

What other supps does anyone take? Glutamine? BCAA's?

One thing I have noticed is I build muscle very slowly compared to my workout partners. I train just as hard or if not harder (6 days a week) and I eat very well consisting of 5-6 small meals a day with plenty of protein. However I do suffer from ulcerative colitis and insomnia which definatley get in the way.

Happy to exchange notes guys and gals so get posting and let's help each other. 

Delby

--- End quote ---

I have done a body part each day in the past with my work schedule found that committing to 4 days a week is about as good as I am going to schedule.  I tend to change it up pretty often every 4 to 6 weeks.  Right now with the upper/lower body part days. I am doing about 6 to 9 sets per general  part but that doesn't mean the same exercise . For example,  I do about4 sets of bench presses and 4 sets of pec dec flyes. 4 sets of pull ups and 4 sets of machine rows? Right now with lower body I am trying to do unilateral exercises .So I will do one legged squats and lunges, then move to the squat, leg curl and extension machines and do one legged exercises there.  I have to admit I find ne legged work harded than bilateral leg work. 

also like you I find I only do3 to 4 sets of bi and tri work since I am already pushing those with other exercises.

I am not sure about the low body fat issue. I tend to gain muscle pretty easily but my issue was gaining and not losing body fat. My doctors kept pushing  me to lose weight.  So there is  a threshold where we are having too much body fat.

The supplements I typically take are: whey , multivitamin, alpha lipoeic acid,  coq10, lcarnitine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version