Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Nutrition & HIV

Bodybuilding/Fitness & Meal Plans

(1/7) > >>

Delby:
Hi All,

Been a while since I've posted but been busy with living! There is not enough info on these forums for people that are very interested in bodybuilding/weightlifting and keeping fit. I know when I was first diagnosed I thought I'd never exercise again. There could be others out there that feel HIV puts a ceiling on how much work you can do at the gym. So I thought I'd start a post where we can all chip in with our exercise routines and meal plans. Would be good to exchange notes and help esch other.

One thing I have noticed is I build muscle very slowly compared to my workout partners. I train just as hard or if not harder (6 days a week) and I eat very well consisting of 5-6 small meals a day with plenty of protein. However I do suffer from ulcerative colitis and insomnia which definatley get in the way.

Happy to exchange notes guys and gals so get posting and let's help each other. 

Delby

Common_ground:
Hi Delby

I did weights first time in 2 months today so I gladly share and discuss with someone else poz and into fitness and bodybuilding. I quite easily put on both muscle and fat so would like advice on how to loose some, Im buffed enough as it is.

Delby:

--- Quote from: Common_ground on July 18, 2012, 06:16:13 AM ---Hi Delby

I did weights first time in 2 months today so I gladly share and discuss with someone else poz and into fitness and bodybuilding. I quite easily put on both muscle and fat so would like advice on how to loose some, Im buffed enough as it is.

--- End quote ---

Hi there is a myth that you can lose body fat and gain muscle at the same time. You have to be doing either or. What is your current body fat %? if you want to lose bodyfat then take your basal calorie requirements and go a couple hundred calories less. Make sure you eat approx 1-1.5g of protein per kilo of bodyweight. So you cut the calories usually by reducing your carb intake. On the other hand if you want to put on muscle then increase your Calories past your basal rate. This should then see you putting on some size. Remember always use complex carbs such as oats, brown rice, sweet potatoe etc. Unless it's a PW shake which should include fast acting carbs such as maltodextrin.

What's your current training schedule and meal plan like?

Delby:
I'm suprised. Is no one interested in keeping fit and going to the gym? Rind that hard to believe. Thought we would of got a lot of useful and interesting responses.....

denb45:
OK I'm bite, I've been doing weights for about 12 yrs. ( I took a break when I was too sick w/ the AIDS) I do something different every day 1st day bike riding about 10 miles ( takes about an hour and an half), 2nd day weight training for about 45 min to 1hr. ....

My otherhalf laughs @ me and teases me about doing this every day, but he does say he likes the way I look now, then when I was too sick to do any of this, for me, it helps me, and makes me feel better about myself ...

I feel so much better , I have a home gym, so no need to spend any money going to a gym......so says my hubby  ( as he just wouldn't hear of me doing this @ any gym) can't argue with him there he does have a valid point  ;D

I don't use sugar, salt, and don't eat anything fried, I eat a Lotta fish, fresh greens, fruit and whole wheat, and I drink lots of water, just plain ole water
w/ no additives in it  ;)

I hope this helps some of you who want to do any of this, I'm not a fitness guru, but my hubby tells me that I look Dam good to him  for a 55+ yr old man ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version