POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 11:08:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 636555
  • Total Topics: 48313
  • Online Today: 177
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 150
Total: 156

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 2 months today  (Read 1258 times)

Offline jimbalaya

2 months today
« on: July 16, 2012, 05:31:40 PM »
So, it's been two months since my partner and I tested +...other than some lingering guilt and self-anger things have pretty much calmed down and we have realized that life goes on......we've had all of the tests done and meet with the Dr. on Wednesday to find out where we go from here....As long as we are not resistant he is planning to put us on Reyataz/Truvada/Norvir.....anyone have thoughts or experiences to share with these drugs as a treatment naive patient?   I'm a little nervous about side effects....not that there's much I can do about it....then again, we could get the results back and find out that we are going with a different treatment plan...right now, I'm just anxious to meet with him and find out...and the waiting has been very difficult.    It's been about 5 weeks since we had our bloodwork, but the genotype testing had to be done in California, so it's been a long long wait to get more answers.....

That's all, just wanted to share, and find out what others thought of R/T/N....thanks guys and gals!

Offline onemoretime

Re: 2 months today
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 06:57:14 PM »
hello,  I remember how hard it was to accept the diagnosis at first but it does get better.  i am glad you got all your labs.  I don't know about your meds but i was thinking why not atripla?    Its a very sucessful med and just 1 pill 1x day.  You may want to look into it.   Take care and dont beat yourself up.   we have all been right where you  are at.  your not alone.
08/04 diag 490 cd4 vl 50,000
10/25/05 436 50,513 hvb 1.1 billion
12/13/05 truvada sustiva
02/16/06 742 und, hpb 63,000
04/27/06 740 und hpb 60,000
01/05/07 458 und hvb und
03/08   470 undetectable still on atripla. Non smoking (chantex)
08/08 cd4 550 undetectable hiv, Hep B UND. Atripla
06/09  cd4 444, vl undetectable testo 130
09/09/09 CD4 687 46% UND  Testo 213 started androgel
10/12/09 cd4 682 46% und testo 597
01/12/10 cd4 842 48% und testo 434
041010 cd4 693  53% testo 492
100410 cd4 568 48% testo 523
012711 cd4 523 hcv 56 testo 596
083011 cd4 280 Hcv/HIV und
042912 cd4 158 hcv /hiv und, was on hep c for 11 months. do have ssdi filed and getting LTD
061912 cd4 151, bactrum, hep c and hiv und
071712 cd4 287 52% HIV HCV und
112012 cd4 520

Offline jimbalaya

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 07:02:24 PM »
I'm not sure why he suggested the R/T/N combo rather than atripla....I'll ask him again when we meet on Wed. what his reasoning was.....and thanks for the response....it has already gotten a lot better...the first week I wanted to throw up every time I thought about it...now it's just another fact about me.....

Offline onemoretime

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 07:24:19 PM »
great attitude...and your right.. its just another fact about me... so nicely put...I think going to lift that line from you and use it...thanks.    You take care!!  i have no side effects from my hiv meds.. i did hep c meds for 11 months and that nearly killed me... it was horrible...no lie...it is the reason my cd4 is 151 even though i have been undectable for 7 years now.
08/04 diag 490 cd4 vl 50,000
10/25/05 436 50,513 hvb 1.1 billion
12/13/05 truvada sustiva
02/16/06 742 und, hpb 63,000
04/27/06 740 und hpb 60,000
01/05/07 458 und hvb und
03/08   470 undetectable still on atripla. Non smoking (chantex)
08/08 cd4 550 undetectable hiv, Hep B UND. Atripla
06/09  cd4 444, vl undetectable testo 130
09/09/09 CD4 687 46% UND  Testo 213 started androgel
10/12/09 cd4 682 46% und testo 597
01/12/10 cd4 842 48% und testo 434
041010 cd4 693  53% testo 492
100410 cd4 568 48% testo 523
012711 cd4 523 hcv 56 testo 596
083011 cd4 280 Hcv/HIV und
042912 cd4 158 hcv /hiv und, was on hep c for 11 months. do have ssdi filed and getting LTD
061912 cd4 151, bactrum, hep c and hiv und
071712 cd4 287 52% HIV HCV und
112012 cd4 520

Offline jimbalaya

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 07:37:37 PM »
Yikes!  My partner/husband has an hiv/hep C coinfection and he is def. more worried about the hep c treatment than the hiv treatment...from everything he read it sounds like he has reason to worry....I keep telling him to stop googling...but he has a mind of his own.    :(

Offline jimbalaya

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 07:38:41 PM »
I'm not sure how I 'only' have HIV not hep C...but I'm glad.

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 07:47:55 PM »
As long as we are not resistant he is planning to put us on Reyataz/Truvada/Norvir.....anyone have thoughts or experiences to share with these drugs as a treatment naive patient?   I'm a little nervous about side effects....not that there's much I can do about it.
I've been on R/T/N for about 8 yrs now. After 20+ yrs of meds, this is the combo that got me to undetectable (where it has stayed with none of those previous blips (of thousands) of previous meds) This is the combo that got my cd4 to climb to 300 finally after 19 yrs of meds. I've had NO side effects (short of some puking etc when I first switched over) after 8 yrs - unless you want to call the best health I've have in 30 yrs a "side effect"  :D ;D :D I take this combo with dinner every night and don't give it a second thought.

hopefully you'll have just as good results. ;)
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Offline jimbalaya

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 07:50:50 PM »
Thanks for sharing.....that def. helps!
 ;D

Offline buginme2

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 08:14:39 PM »
R/T/N is listed as a preferred treatment option in the US. 

One of the benefits of R/T/N is that if you fail with this particular treatment it has less chance of developing resistance to other meds.   Therefore, it is often the preferred treatment for someone who may have adherence issues. 

A common side effect of this treatment is yellow eyes.  Sometimes if you remain well hydrated this can lessen the effect (it does not happen in everyone, it's just something that could happen).   The norvir can cause some stomachs upset.

Overall like Leatherman said the side effects for this combo are pretty easy and minor.  You should be fine and undetectable very shortly.

Offline sffrboy

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 03:10:35 AM »
I started this combo last week after being diagnosed almost two months ago. When I asked my doctor why I was on R/T/N instead of Atripla, she said that I presented resistance to some components of the aforementioned drug.

Regarding the treatment, I only had a mild headache the very first day and some minor issues with my ears,  upset stomach during day 3, and everything went back to "normal" after day 3. Everyone reacts to the treatment in different ways; I hope you don't have any issues with this combo once you begin with it.

By the way, I started feeling more energized than normal after day 2-3. I went to the gym twice and did bikram yoga twice as well.

Best,

SFFRBOY

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 06:07:35 AM »
we've had all of the tests done and meet with the Dr. on Wednesday to find out where we go from here....As long as we are not resistant he is planning to put us on Reyataz/Truvada/Norvir.....anyone have thoughts or experiences to share with these drugs as a treatment naive patient?   I'm a little nervous about side effects....not that there's much I can do about it....
1) If either of you have side effects you can try another combo after a few months.  Meanwhile you both should expect a little yellowing period...
2) And you two have both decided already to treat upon diagnosis, as has your doctor?  There is also the possibility your numbers will say that immediate treatment is not necessary.  Just pointing this out, as I don't see the option mentioned here.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline jimbalaya

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 11:16:35 AM »
Our Dr. definitely wants us to start treatment right away...he is of the mindset that it's best to preserve the immune system, rather than waiting until it deteriorates...my partners CD4 count was 517 and mine was 490......We were just waiting for the genotype to come back to let us know about resistance....

Thanks for the tips/advice everyone....one more day and we find out for sure.    ;)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 11:06:59 AM »
Jim, your partner's numbers are good and he may want to think about treating the hep C first before starting on ARVs. That's the way I went about it. (Did the treatment in 2002/03, have had an UD hcv VL for ten years now, which is considered a cure.)

It's true that the hep C treatment is rough, but it's not forever and if you get the cure, you don't have to worry about it in future (provided you're not putting yourself at further risk for hep C - you can become infected again).

He may want to discuss this possibility (treating hep C first) with his doctor. Many doctors share this treatment philosophy, but some don't. My doctors all agreed that it was best for me to treat hep C first, and I had similar numbers to your bf. The idea behind treating hep C first is to clear the way for better tolerance of hiv meds - some can be hard on the liver.

BTW, I wouldn't have thought that Reyataz was the best treatment choice for someone with concurrent, active hcv infection. Reyataz can raise bilirubin levels and while it isn't normally a problem for people with hiv alone, I can't see how the extra stress on the liver would be good for someone with hiv/hcv coinfection.

Make sure your doctor has a lot of experience of treating people with coinfection. My hiv doc is one of the best in the UK, but he handed me over to a colleague of his who has vast experience with coinfection, for the year's duration of my treatment. A good doctor will admit when he or she does not have the experience necessary will and refer you on to one who does.

Are you aware that we also have Hepatitis Forums? They're not as active as this place, but there are people there who will understand what your bf is going through. (You'll have to also register an account there.)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline jimbalaya

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 03:52:18 PM »
Ann--thanks so much for the wealth of information....

We went to the Dr. today and it turns out the Hep C test for my partner came back negative after all...the Dr. thought he had hep c based on liver numbers, but now he thinks it was just the acute HIV infection causing the liver issues....

At any rate, we both came back with the exact same 'strand' of HIV, with no resistance...picked up our meds (thank goodness for co-pay cards!)  and plan to start them tomorrow night....

The Dr. wanted to go with R/T/N for now and then once we go undetectable he wants to get us off the Norvir and switch to something else.....his plan was to hit hard and then switch to something with less toxicity.....he did give us the choice of Atripla since we are not resistant to anything...but I was nervous about the dreams...haha  My dreams are crazy enough without help......

:P

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.