Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Nutrition & HIV

Probiotics-Perhaps a way to increase CD4 counts?

<< < (10/10)

Reishi:
No problem.  I totally understand.

Honestly, some things on that site did strike me as odd and it did cross my mind that it might be denialist rhetoric  (it's even implied in the domain name).  I figured some of the ideas could be an adjunct to ART, not a replacement for it.  My point was only to echo what the OP said about probiotics and HIV hiding out in the gut. 

Jeff G:

--- Quote from: Reishi on June 01, 2013, 03:10:58 AM ---No problem.  I totally understand.

Honestly, some things on that site did strike me as odd and it did cross my mind that it might be denialist rhetoric  (it's even implied in the domain name).  I figured some of the ideas could be an adjunct to ART, not a replacement for it.  My point was only to echo what the OP said about probiotics and HIV hiding out in the gut. 

--- End quote ---

Its always a dead giveaway when your see a sentence claiming diet or vitamins can control or cure Aids , its denialist crapola when you see that .  ;)   

friskyguy:
So this is a good article with some updated research on "human testing" re the benefits of probiotic supplementation on reducing dangerous inflammation including gut inflammation (often undetectable/silent in many of us and which does not get nearly enough attention imo) and the increasing of important CD4 counts.

What was new to me is that probiotics also improve bone density  :)

Here is the link........

http://www.thebodypro.com/content/73123/the-fire-within-research-on-two-supplements-addres.html

"Probiotics have also been found to increase CD4+ cell counts, as seen in a study published in the Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology (Irvine et al). A second study conducted by AIDS Healthcare Foundation (AHF) on Ganeden BC30, which collected data that were later evaluated and published in the journal Retrovirology (Selbovitz et al), also found probiotic supplementation to increase CD4+ cell counts.

"We are learning more and more about the interaction between our gut and our immune system. It is such complex machinery that keeps bacteria inside the intestines and, in a majority of the cases, very tightly controlled. Occasionally it gets out of control and that's why people get illnesses.

There is more and more evidence that most likely some fragments of bacteria occasionally escape -- they make their way to our systemic circulation, our bloodstream -- and, of course, being a foreign object, the body will try to attack it and neutralize it. That leads to inflammation," Homayoon Khanlou, M.D., Chief of Medicine at AHF and lead investigator of this pilot study, stated in an article that appeared in A&U magazine.

Inflammation in the gut can cause bone loss and probiotics can improve bone density. A new study from Michigan State University, which was sponsored by the NIH and published in the Journal of Cellular Physiology, found that probiotic supplementation utilizing Lactobacillus reuteri, a probiotic shown to reduce inflammation, produced healthier bones.

Lead author Laura McCabe, Ph.D., a professor in the departments of physiology and radiology at Michigan State University, said, "We know that inflammation in the gut can cause bone loss, though it's unclear exactly why."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version