Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Nutrition & HIV

Probiotics-Perhaps a way to increase CD4 counts?

<< < (9/10) > >>

PositivelyMotivated:
just got back from the pharmacy with a bottle of acidophilus and lactobacillus probiotics ... for some reason i didnt even think to get them there in capsule form ... anyway after getting home i read this ...

In addition to dietary sources, probiotics are also available in pill or capsule form as a nutritional supplement. These supplements offer a way for lactose-intolerant individuals to take probiotics without consuming dairy products. Probiotics are not for everyone. Persons with suppressed immune systems, such as HIV-positive individuals, should discuss probiotics with their doctor before taking these supplements, warns the University of Maryland Medical Center.

friskyguy:
Hi Ann, if you do manage to do some additional research on probiotics as a supplement to improve and maintain improved immunity in the gut and the potential extension/additional benefit to those living with HIV (apart from the common useage after a course of antibiotics), your insight would be very welcome.

cheers Frisky

Reishi:
I'm too tired to go over this thread with a fine-tooth comb.

Ann, that was a fantastic breakdown of the serenity prayer.  Thank you for that.

A few months ago, I ran across a similar article to the one the OP posted, but I can't recall where I saw it.  The gist of "my" article was the same:  HIV hides in the gut.  I think the article also said that consuming excessive amounts of animal protein helps "feed" HIV.

I've never taken probiotic pills, but I figure you can get (a smaller amount of) the same beneficial bacterial cultures by consuming kefir or kombucha tea.  I've been drinking both for years, even when I was neg, because I have a very sensitive stomach and they help keep me regular.

As for antibiotics... I've had to take them twice during my adult life and I knew beforehand they would kill off the beneficial bacteria too.  It seemed more logical to me to finish the course of antibiotics before trying to replenish the good bacteria.  So I started with kombucha tea the minute I was all done with the antibiotics.

Reishi:
Found it!  Here's the article I was referring to.  Like the one the OP posted, it also encourages the use of probiotics.

Jeff G:

--- Quote from: Reishi on May 31, 2013, 01:38:42 PM ---Found it!  Here's the article I was referring to.  Like the one the OP posted, it also encourages the use of probiotics.

--- End quote ---

I have removed your link to a site that claims HIV can be controlled by diet alone . It appeared to be a denialist website but to be honest Im in mo mood to read the whole site you linked too . HIV can only be controlled by ART and linking to any websites that claims differently is a bannable offense .

I know you were trying to be helpful and provide a link about probiotics but that website contains incorrect information about HIV and we cant allow that kind of material to be linked to . Thanks .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version