Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Nutrition & HIV

Probiotics-Perhaps a way to increase CD4 counts?

<< < (3/10) > >>

Ann:

--- Quote from: Miss Philicia on July 14, 2012, 03:23:37 PM ---Speaking of all of this, I've been on anti-biotics for a total of 10 weeks in the past nine months. ::)

I just did a little googling and evidently the NIH says that if you take probiotics during anti-biotic treatment you should not take them in the same dose, but instead take the pro-biotic two hours after the anti-biotic.

--- End quote ---

Good point - I never take mine at the same time, there's usually at least a couple hours between. Just seemed like common sense.

Forrest, I have no idea why my numbers remained so good for so long. I haven't consciously done anything special. I'm just lucky. I believe I've told you this before.

Miss Philicia:
That's the main reason I waited until after a round of anti-biotics to take them. I didn't like combining something if it was possibly going to interfere with what the anti-biotic was supposed to do.

forrest:

--- Quote from: Ann on July 14, 2012, 03:29:31 PM ---Forrest, I have no idea why my numbers remained so good for so long. I haven't consciously done anything special. I'm just lucky. I believe I've told you this before.

--- End quote ---

:(   :-[   :-\ 

Yeah... you may have... but my memory has been so bad that I just don't remember stuff these days  :(  Drives me nuts.  I can read a thread and by the time I get to the last part of it (if it's longer), I don't remember the beginning.  It just really sucks.  Could be HIV related... dunno.  I never used to be like this. 

Anyway, please just hang in there with me and don't assume I have remembered, b/c chances are... I haven't  :(  :(  :(

Appreciate the patience.  At least, I think, I don't require as much patience as one does when moderating "Am I"   :o   :P

Ann:

--- Quote from: Miss Philicia on July 14, 2012, 03:23:37 PM ---
It also seems that any studies, and there aren't a lot and they also are highly qualified, are meant to address the 1 in 5 patients that get diarrhea while on anti-biotics. So I guess if you the 4 in 5 patients that don't then you're gut isn't shot? Not sure how I'm supposed to know considering HIV ruined my GI tract (irreversibly it seems) two decades ago, which is fascinating since I took pro-biotics every day for probably the first five years of my med treatment. Plus most of the time I've been on anti-biotics this past year I'm also on some synthetic opioid which constipates me.

--- End quote ---

I've just noticed you edited this in while I was posting.

I don't remember having antibiotic diarrhea before hiv, but as you know hiv has also played havoc with my gut and I've been on codeine for years now just so I can leave the house. Probiotics never made a bit of difference to my hiv-related dire-rear - it was one of many things I tried for several years before I resorted to codeine.

The main difference I've noted with probiotics in conjunction with antibiotics is the way it slows down - and occasionally even stops - thrush formation, thereby lessening my need for fluconazole. I hate having to follow antibiotics up with fluconazole - it gives me chapped lips.

--- Quote from: Miss Philicia on July 14, 2012, 03:30:39 PM ---That's the main reason I waited until after a round of anti-biotics to take them. I didn't like combining something if it was possibly going to interfere with what the anti-biotic was supposed to do.

--- End quote ---

I've never seen any evidence of the probiotics I take during antibiotic use interfering with the antibiotics. The infections go away in good time and are always completely gone by the time the script is finished. But like I said, I don't take the two at the same time, I always leave hours between.

Ann:

--- Quote from: forrest on July 14, 2012, 03:34:55 PM --- :(   :-[   :-\ 

but my memory has been so bad

Could be HIV related... dunno.  I never used to be like this. 

--- End quote ---

It's much more likely to be stress related. Chill out!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version