Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Nutrition & HIV

Ketogenic Diet

<< < (2/3) > >>

Bates:

--- Quote from: surf18 on December 11, 2012, 08:45:56 PM ---A keto diet is truly a very low carb diet, not a fasting diet. You eat every day ,meals etc. But with the absence of carbs in your diet , it releases ketones and hence the keto diet. Fastimg is no good.

--- End quote ---

Surf is correct, no need to fast for keto. You want to shoot for less than 30-40 grams of carbs a day. You will feel tired and weak but the fat will melt.

Your brain needs 100 grams of carbs to function everyday, so if your body does not get these carbs it will burn fat instead. That's why it's so effective. The problem with this diet is of you do not make changes to your diet afterwards, you will gain it all back quick. Make sure to re-introduce carbs slowly.

surf18:
Yep Bates is spot on. I personally felt like shit when I tried to tighten up and went on a Keto diet a few times. Very lethargic. Should eat more fat when going keto,supposed to help with the energy. I never felt that nasty awful I ate to much full feeling that I do when I eat regularly. Also your muscles because of lack of glycogen become really flat looking too.

elf:
I'm on <50g of carbs a day.
I eat mostly fatty fish, poultry,  egg whites, some cheese, olives, olive oil, walnuts, herbal supplements (Hawaiian spirulina pacifica, artichoke extract before meals).

I don't feel tired at all.
I feel tired only when I have a carb day (twice a month).

I've found out that carbs is what makes people sleepy and depressed.
I tried to taste chocolate on a carb day, and I thought I was going to vomit.
The sugar was so strong and yuckie...(My only sweet food on keto days is rooibos tea with stevia).

Oh, you will not lose muscle if your protein intake is high ;)
I think I take 300-350g of protein every day.
So, some of it will transform into glycogen, when needed.
Your muscles will get flabby only if you don't exercise.

TabooPrincess:
I fasted for 2 months and lost almost 4 stone in weight which I have kept off for over a year.  Effects on my health in general were reflected by my very rapid decline in Cd4 count (this was done prior to medication) and increase in viral load.  Granted this may have happened anyway but it was extreme.  Afterwards I was losing loads of hair for months.  Had white patches all over my tongue.

On the plus side I didn't have thrush again.  My Bp decreased and confidence increased.

I don't think I'd do it again - especially not now I'm on medication.  My way was extreme though, the feast/fast diet is very popular now, perhaps that's an option?  That's generally what I stick to now.

Miss Philicia:
I'm sorry, but that sounds exceptionally ill-considered and not healthy in the least. Maybe you should invest in a consultation with an actual nutritionist instead of just making shit up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version