POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 08:07:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 631498
  • Total Topics: 47803
  • Online Today: 279
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: ARVs "slowing" the progression to AIDS?  (Read 818 times)

Offline Common_ground

ARVs "slowing" the progression to AIDS?
« on: July 05, 2012, 03:55:48 AM »
I read it and heard it numerous times on youtube clips by doctors explaining ARV treatment and for the love of god I cant get over the use of "slowing". I mean if a person is already diagnosed with AIDS and already severly sick and he or she gets healthier with the help of ARVs how can it be appropriate to use this word/term?

Am I missing something?

Is it like ARVs "only" slows down the progression to AIDS with an x factor (time) compared to how you would otherwise have progressed without meds?

Enlighten me....
2011 May - Neg.
2012 June CD4:205, 16% VL:2676 Start Truvada/Stocrin
2012 July  CD4:234, 18% VL:88
2012 Sep  CD4:238, 17% VL:UD
2013 Feb  CD4:257, 24% VL:UD -viramune/truvada
2013 May CD4:276, 26% VL:UD

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: ARVs "slowing" the progression to AIDS?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 05:22:22 AM »
I read it and heard it numerous times on youtube clips by doctors explaining ARV treatment and for the love of god I cant get over the use of "slowing". I mean if a person is already diagnosed with AIDS and already severly sick and he or she gets healthier with the help of ARVs how can it be appropriate to use this word/term?

Am I missing something?

Is it like ARVs "only" slows down the progression to AIDS with an x factor (time) compared to how you would otherwise have progressed without meds?

Enlighten me....

The doctors you refer to are speaking in general terms, in the context of educating the public. 

Obviously if someone is diagnosed with AIDS, and never has used HAART, then the general statement you are referring to does not apply to this person.  Currently, once someone has an AIDS diagnosis, it sticks.  But that doesn't mean the person is getting sicker.  Some people get an AIDS diagnosis and then rebuild their immune system through haart and live well.  So the HAART is not slowing down "progression to AIDS", it actually reversed "progression to death". 

Please also note that AIDS itself refers to more than one thing - untreated AIDS is a process over time as it were.  Low immunity over time and diseases that can kill over time.

Also, nobody knows what is going to happen to people, like me, who are diagnosed HIV+ and go on today's HAART rather quickly, never having received an AIDS diagnosis. Perhaps they will never get an AIDS diagnosis and will die of diseases that will only sometime in the future be associated with either HIV or long-term use of HAART, or some completely unrelated cause.   You could say HAART "stops" progression to AIDS but that would be misunderstood by many people.  Stops it for the time being. Until we see what happens in a few decades.

ALso there are people who stay HIV+ for many years, do not go onto HAART, because they don't need it, and never get and AIDS diagnosis. They only go on HAART before the immune system looks ready to sink a bit lower into AIDS danger.  So they, too, NEVER gets an AIDS diagnosis. And then HAART restores their immune strength.  So the doctor comment you are thinking about does not apply, either.  Because its not a "slowing to AIDS."

If you are thinking about the question that deeply, then you can understand that everyone's experience about HIV/AIDS is individual. 

But there is still a role for doctors to speak generally.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 05:28:10 AM by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Common_ground

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 06:23:43 AM »
Maybe we share some similarities Mecch. (HAART shortly after Dxd.)

Myself I am experienced "naive" with HIV, at least physically, I only got a diagnose and never any symptoms, that I know of.

To be honest I dont know if its a good or bad thing, on one hand I am as healthy as ever but on the other hand I dont really know what I am up against.

I kind of see it like HAART puts a pin in the HIV/AIDS wheel and puts the progression to a halt giving the body time to heal and recover.

On another thing,I just thought of this, maybe its the wrong place but Ill write it anyway.

Figuratively speaking: Dxed with HIV.

You are in the water after a ship wreck, the virus is pulling you under but HAART provides a safety vest which keeps you afloat (for the time being) and as long as your afloat and making sure your keeping enough air in the vest (Taking meds, docs appointm.) your safe. But sharks and debris from the shipwreck can hurt you so you need to be alert and stay clear (Diet,hygiene, exercise, and a bit of luck) from other dangers as well.

Good thing is that your not alone in the water and gets help from other people (This forum!)

There is a rescue mission on its way but you never know if they will be there in time to pick you up (The cure!), until then, lets make the best out of our time in the water.

;D   
2011 May - Neg.
2012 June CD4:205, 16% VL:2676 Start Truvada/Stocrin
2012 July  CD4:234, 18% VL:88
2012 Sep  CD4:238, 17% VL:UD
2013 Feb  CD4:257, 24% VL:UD -viramune/truvada
2013 May CD4:276, 26% VL:UD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 07:44:00 AM »
Common, I kinda like your analogy. Seems like a good, simplistic way of explaining it.

You forgot about how your fingers go all wrinkly when in the water for so long. ;D
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.