POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 06:05:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 644115
  • Total Topics: 49026
  • Online Today: 162
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 115
Total: 119

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Gov Scott: Florida will not comply....  (Read 726 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
Gov Scott: Florida will not comply....
« on: June 30, 2012, 10:34:41 PM »

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2012/6/30/gov_scott_florida_wi.html

This doesn't surprise me,   We need to get this guy out of office...

TALLAHASSEE --

Florida Gov. Rick Scott is saying Florida will do nothing to comply with President Barack Obama's health care overhaul.

Scott recently said he would follow the law if it were upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court. But he went on national television on Friday night and said Florida will not take any steps to help carry out the overhaul.

Scott said on Fox News that the state would not expand the Medicaid program in order to lower the number of uninsured residents. The US Supreme Court did say Thursday that the states did not have to expand Medicaid.

The governor also said that Florida would not set up a state-run health exchange, or a marketplace where people needing insurance policies could shop for them.

These two pieces are critical components of the Affordable Care Act for people who cannot get health insurance through an employer.

The governor said that expanding eligibility of Medicaid to those just above the poverty level would not help the citizens of Florida.

Gov. Scott's press secretary, Lane Wright, issued the following statement Saturday on the governor's decision:

"As Governor Scott indicated last night on Fox News, Florida is not going to be implementing Obamacare. We will not expand Medicaid and we will not implement the exchanges. If there is any part of the law that requires action before November, Florida will comply, but he is committed to repealing the law before it ever takes effect.

"Obamacare is bad for job creation and it doesn't solve the real problem. We don't have a health insurance problem in this country, we have a health care cost problem. Obamacare does nothing to solve the problem of rapidly rising costs, and actually removes any incentive to lower them. For those reasons Governor Scott says he will work to repeal the law."

« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 10:36:31 PM by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 12.5mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started my first  HAART regimen  on October 24th,03.

As of 8/2514,  t-cells are at 402, Viral load <40

Current % is at 11%

62 years young.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Gov Scott: Florida will not comply....
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 11:05:43 PM »

I saw on Fox news today that the republicans are going to use reconciliation tactics to defund the health care law . Using the reconciliation tactic its believed they supposedly can get around the 60 votes needed to repeal the law and do it with a simple majority essentially gutting the program .

Offline WillyWump

• Fall is in the air!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 11:56:04 PM »
Most if not all of the 26 states that sued the Fed Govt over the Affordable care Act will be opting out of the Medicaid expansion, since SCOTUS ruled the states cannot be penalized for doing so. Many of these states believe the massive medicaid expansion will be Budget Busters in an already difficult time..Its possible that more states than jsut these 26 will choose to opt out, just remains to be seen. By opting out they are shifting the financial burden back onto the Feds (read taxpayers), who will ahve to pay for the coverage through the Insurance pool.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2012/06/30/states_may_opt_out_of_medicaid_expansion/

But I dont see how Florida is going to get away with refusing to set up these State insurance pools.

-W
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 11:58:56 PM by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 10:28:28 AM »
If the states refuse to set up the insurance exchanges by the end of 2012 the fed's will step in and do it for them.  And as a resident of FL I would prefer the fed's do it rather than the state.

Plus I wouldn't expect Rick Scott to be around much longer.  He barely got elected in the first place.  And then there's this;  http://www.thefloridacurrent.com/article.cfm?id=28274256

As far as medicaid,  the Federal gov't is picking up the entire cost of the Medicaid expansion initially.  That funding with gradually decline to 90% over time.  It will be very hard for any governor to justify refusing to take that money for it's citizens.

The Republicans will be walking on thin ice if they try to use reconciliation to block the ACA especially if the Dems keep the majority in the Senate.  That opens the door to using a simple majority on all votes.  That's the last thing the Republicans want.  The idiots at Fox news just can't admit defeat.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 11:03:25 AM »

Florida stats :  In Florida, about 3.8 million people, or 21 percent, are uninsured.

Here's a related article from today's Tampa Bay Times:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts/scott-says-florida-wont-implement-health-care-law/1238123

TALLAHASSEE Gov. Rick Scott said late Friday that Florida will not begin implementing the federal health care law because he believes it is bad policy and too costly for Floridians.

Scott told Fox News that he believes the law should be repealed, hopefully by a new president elected in November. But even if that doesn't happen, he said, Florida will not set up a health exchange or participate in an expansion of the Medicaid program.

"We're not going to implement Obamacare in Florida," Scott told Fox News anchor Greta Van Susteren on Friday night. "We're not going to expand Medicaid because we're going to do the right thing. We're not going to do the exchange."

Scott's announcement came just hours after he told media that he was still considering his options in the wake of Thursday's U.S. Supreme Court ruling to uphold the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.

State Rep. Mark Pafford, the ranking Democrat on the House committee that handles health care funding, said he was not surprised by the governor's stance.

"This is a guy who was in the private sector. He created an organization to fight the Affordable Care Act," said Pafford, of West Palm Beach. "He then was so upset that he became governor using his own money. So it wouldn't make sense that he would do anything else."

Under the health care law, by 2014, states must implement a health insurance exchange, or a Web-based marketplace where people can shop for insurance, or defer to a federal program. States need to submit plans to the federal government by Nov. 16 that demonstrate their readiness to launch health exchanges.

States also must decide whether to move forward with an expansion of Medicaid to reduce the number of uninsured residents. In Florida, about 3.8 million people, or 21 percent, are uninsured.

The Supreme Court ruling made it clear that states can stick with the status quo without being financially penalized.

However, the federal government has promised to shoulder nearly all of the burden of the Medicaid expansion in the early years so it will cost states relatively little to participate. But Scott said Medicaid is already too expensive and the expansion would put further strain on the state budget.

"We care about having a health care safety net for the vulnerable Floridians," Scott said on Fox. "But this is an expansion that just doesn't make any sense."

Many aspects of the Affordable Care Act are already in effect and do not require state involvement. That includes popular provisions like prescription drug discounts for seniors, allowing young adults to remain on parents' insurance plans, and free preventive care.

Scott's spokesman said Saturday that if there are other aspects of the law that Florida is obligated to do, the state will comply. But the governor's hope is that Republican Mitt Romney defeats President Barack Obama and makes good on his promise to roll back the health care reforms.

"Hopefully we won't have to worry about it because by November we're going to have a new president-elect who is going to repeal it," Scott press secretary Lane Wright said.

The White House was asked for comment Saturday but declined.

Scott said other Republican governors agreed their focus should be fighting the law and supporting Romney, including Rick Perry of Texas, Bobby Jindal of Louisiana and Scott Walker of Wisconsin.

"Here in Louisiana, look, we refused to set up the exchange. We're not going to start implementing Obamacare," Jindal told POLITICO. "We have not applied for the grants, we have not accepted many of these dollars, we are not implementing the exchanges, we don't think it makes any sense to implement Obamacare in Louisiana."

Scott said the governors arrived at the same conclusion that expanding Medicaid and creating exchanges are not good for taxpayers.

"We care about the citizens of our state," he said. "We know this will be bad for our health care. We want jobs in our state. This is going to put American businesses at an unbelievable disadvantage as compared to businesses around the world."

Scott cited the law's requirement for businesses to offer insurance to employees. He told Van Susteren a story about a Florida business owner who said he may have to shut his doors.

"They walked up to me and they said, 'Governor, is this really going to become the law? Because if it does, we're out of business,' " Scott said. " 'We have 20 employees; we know we won't be able to buy any health care for anybody.' "

But that's not true. The law says companies with fewer than 50 employees are exempt from any requirement to buy insurance, and they're also exempt from any fines associated with not buying insurance.

One of Scott's biggest concerns is the cost of adding an estimated 1 million people to the Medicaid rolls.

"We can't pay for that; there is no way Floridians can pay for that," he said.

Democratic Rep. Pafford believes resisting the health care law is the wrong thing to do. Republican lawmakers should be embracing provisions that expand access to health care, he said, and new revenue streams like a tax on Internet commerce could help pay for it.

"We can afford it," he said. "There are plenty of ways to do that. They just don't want to afford it."

Because the Legislature sets the budget, it will ultimately decide whether to allocate money to implement provisions of the health care law.

Incoming Senate President Don Gaetz said he and incoming House Speaker Will Weatherford will work with the governor's office in reaching a final decision. But for now, they are waiting on staff to digest what the court ruling means and its impact, Gaetz said.

"It's not a matter of not having made up my mind yet, it's a matter that this 110-page opinion, which is nearly as complex as the law itself, is not 48 hours old yet," said Gaetz, R-Niceville. "I believe in 'ready, aim, fire,' not 'ready, fire, aim.' "

Weatherford, R-Wesley Chapel, said there isn't an immediate need to move forward on implementing the law. There is no harm in waiting a few months to see if the outcome of the November election changes the political climate, he said.

"There is an opportunity to bring new leadership to the United States of America," he said, "and if that happens, it's going to change everything."

Times staff writers Angie Drobnic Holan and Alex Leary contributed to this report. Tia Mitchell can be reached at tmitchell@tampabay.com or (850) 224-7263.

[Last modified: Jun 30, 2012 11:23 PM]
Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 12.5mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started my first  HAART regimen  on October 24th,03.

As of 8/2514,  t-cells are at 402, Viral load <40

Current % is at 11%

62 years young.

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 12:35:19 PM »
I live in one of those 26 states that sued the federal government.  Going against the wishes of the Governor and state legislature, our Attorney General (R) joined the lawsuit.

We are moving forward with implementing all aspects of the law.

That Attorney General is now running for Governor.  He issued a statement that while he was disappointed in the SCOTUS decision, he is opposed to repealing the law, and if elected he'd comply.  (Yeah Uh Uh)

For these other states that are refusing to expand their Medicaid programs on the argument that it would bust the budget?  That simply isn't true, the feds are paying 100% of the cost from 2014 to 2016.  Then the feds will continue paying at least 90% of the cost.  How can these Governors justify denying their citizens this coverage.  I just don't get it.

As far as Scott, Walker, and Jindal are concerned I'm still amazed they ever got elected.

And to the slogan "Repeal and Replace"?  I haven't heard one single Republican (including Romney)  explain their ideas for replacement.  No details what so ever.

Obama/Biden 2012

RAB 

Offline Joe K

• Global Moderator
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 01:19:44 PM »
What I never see mentioned, is the reason for these changes in health care issues.  To suggest your state cannot afford to expand Medicaid, is to say that you don't care about your own citizens.  Hysteria aside, these expansions are to cover more Americans with health care and how anyone can be against that possibility is simply beyond me.

Having lived in Florida, I can attest to the dismal state of health insurance in that state and a legislature that really does not care for the less fortunate.  Without these expansions of insurance, what options do the officials think there will be, for those who simply cannot afford health insurance?  From all I can see, they don't.  Never have, most probably never will.

Joe

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 01:34:37 PM »
We are dealing with people who unashamedly use the excuse that there is not enough Federal or State money to provide health care for the working poor or just plain out poor . They use the argument that doctors will not be able to keep up if everyone is covered ... yes , I have heard this argument over and over again .

Using this excuse is admitting there is great need and that there is a huge segment of the population who is better off ignored sick or not because its an inconvenient and expensive truth to remedy . Because we are dealing with people who think like this I think the battle is just beginning and not over by any means .

People who don't think we need universal health care need to be called out as the heartless cowards they are and denied medicare benefits when they are seniors .   

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.