Main Forums > Living With HIV

AIDS and Allergies

(1/1)

Maestro:
My Uncle has always had allergies...hay-fever type stuff.  Any studies or information on any kind of relationship between AIDS and allergies?  Do allergies tend get worse with HIV...Or are they not at all involved.  My understading is that allergies are basically an over active immune response to something that should not warrant a repsonse.  Seems at least somehow to be affected by HIV.

Thanks
Maestro

Matty the Damned:
Hey Maestro,

It's funny you mention this. My immunologist and I were talking about it last week. Allergenic and auto-immune conditions DO tend to be a bigger problem for people with HIV, especially those with mid-stage and late-stage disease.

I believe it has something to do with a "deranged" immune response. The compromised immune system can no longer recognise the difference between what meant to be in our bodies and what's not. Naturally if your uncle has always had a problem with allergies it seems reasonable that HIV could make these responses worse. I have no scientific proof of that of course, but it sounds good. ;)

MtD
(Who admires Maestro's efforts)

Eldon:
Hello Maestro,

HIV-infected patients are more than two times as likely to experience an adverse reaction to antibiotic therapy than non-infected patients, results suggest.

Source: http://www.aidsmeds.com/news/20031112epid001.html

Please DO keep us posted.

Make the BEST of each Day!

IzPoz:
Actually, Eldon, I think he's referring to allergies to the elements and surroundings (pollen, hayfever, dogs, cats, etc).

Although, I do believe these types of allergies can worsen, or surface, as we get older.  I for one have never had allergies growing up, but it seems that the older I get, the more I sneeze, and am now taking Nasonex.  I should ask my doctor if he feels it's related.

Regards,

Izzy

aztecan:
I don't know how scientific it is, but I know my allergies have worsened during the past number of years.

Spring is horrible, especially when the juniper pollinate. I also now seem to have allergic issues with animals, specifically dogs, which is something new.

I know its just anecdotal, but for me, it seems to be a reality.

HUGS,

Mark

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version