POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 04:44:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23104
  • Latest: vqlz
Stats
  • Total Posts: 632613
  • Total Topics: 47918
  • Online Today: 263
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 172
Total: 177

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Front page of the NYTIMES.com - "Heart Risks Greater For HIV Patients"  (Read 2660 times)

Offline NY2011

10/26/2011 - SEROCONVERSION (hi fever+rash)
10/31/2011 - CD4= 154  VL>500,000 
10/31/2011 - started on Truvada+Prezista+Norvir
12/14/2011 - CD4= 750 VL=6412 (45%)
01/27/2012 - switched to Atripla
04/23/2012 - CD4=1,221 VL= 140  (47%)
06/22/2012 - CD4=1,224 VL= ud    (49%)
12/18/2012 - CD4=1,031 VL= ud    (51%)
09/16/2013 - CD4=1,151 VL= ud   ( 49%)
03/26/2014 - CD4=1,050 VL= ud

Offline buginme2

Such an important topic.  Kudos to the NY Times for putting it on the front page.

Offline newbieguy

I just now saw this article and was going to post it, but you beat me to it  ;)
This article is a bit concerning. I'm unclear on a few things. Does this study imply that all of us on meds for HIV, even if our numbers are good are at greater risk? Even if we don't smoke or do recreational drugs? I try and live a healthy lifestyle, don't smoke, trying to keep myself at a reasonably healthy weight, etc I do like the occasional bourbon..These studies are always so concerning when they come out. My family has had a history of heart problems (on one side) without HIV, so it makes me wonder about my future..I am only 30, and never had any heart issues (knock on wood) so I really hope this study won't pertain to me when I get older. I think more research is needed on this topic, and doctors should routinely check cholesterol, and other heart-related things when they run our HIV labs....I know I am going to ask my doctor to do that the next round of labs I have! We only have one heart, so we got to take care of it! Also I think more studies should be done on HIV patients who are in good health and on meds, and on those who have not routinely taken their meds or abused drugs, because everyone knows illicit drugs are terrible for the heart.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
The article suggests (rightly I believe) that on average people with HIV have a higher (2 x higher maybe) risk of heart attack than comparable people without HIV .

Whether this is important for you depends on your baseline risk of heart attack or heart disease calculated as if you did not have HIV and then adjusted for HIV, eg as my doc does by adding 5 years to your age (other docs in my clinic add 10 years).

Clearly, may things that are normal risks for heart attacks can be changed, eg smoking, diet, exercise. It might jsut be folk with HIV tend to be worse on these points on average than comparable folk without HIV. Then it might be the HIV aswell.

Even if HIV does something to the body, eg causes inflammation, that increases your risk of heart attack, the effect will be modest compared to smoking, snorting coke and living off donuts.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Patients don't die from HIV -- a doctor in St. Louis told me this just last week.
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
Patients don't die from HIV -- a doctor in St. Louis told me this just last week.

Hence your decision to eat an entire bowl of chocolate chip cookie dough.  I really hope that you drop your two-packs-of-tabaco-a-day habit nonetheless.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Miss Philicia

Hence your decision to eat an entire bowl of chocolate chip cookie dough.  I really hope that you drop your two packs of tabaco a day nonetheless.

Honeychile, I've never even smoked an entire pack a day, only one half. And I'm on Day #15 of not smoking so stfu.

Offline WillyWump

, snorting coke and living off donuts.

So this is a bad thing?
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.

Good article, Thanks for posting it. My doctors have always been quite aggressive with me in keeping my blood pressure and cholesterol in check, especially since I never had problems, with either one, until I started on HAART. Even the heart murmur, wasn't discovered until 2009, early 2010

Of the medication that I take, the ones I dislike or forget to take the most,( especially in the past,) are the blood pressure, and cholesterol medication. But, I've been pretty good with both, for a while now, and BP and Cholesterol, are under control. BP and Statins were first prescribed for me around mid 2004, I'de have to check my records on that.

I've always thought, that when the time comes for me, it would be due to a heart attack or stroke.  Just a feeling I have...

I just try to eat right, sleep right, keep the weight in control as best I can and try to get that exercise in.   The exercise is the tough one.  When you work a 40 hour   a week graveyard shift, and work in a sedentary desk job, there are risks factors, just in that alone.

Prior to 2004, any job I ever had consisted of good physical labor. I was always in good shape... I miss that, but at almost 61 years of age and just about 27 years of living with HIV, I think the heavy physical labor years are well behind me.

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 12.5mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started my first  HAART regimen  on October 24th,03.

As of 6/4/14,  t-cells are at 423, Viral load <40

Current % is at 13% 

62 years young.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
So this is a bad thing?

I actually thought of you when Matt made that comment.  Your weak heart has to deal not only with teh HIV, but with the pressure of years consuming tons of nicotine, cheap booze, faux Mexican, and greasy food from Whattaboiger. 

Then again you compensate it with your 1/3 of a mile jog every other month, so you should be awlroight  :P
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Lou-ah-vull

I get a C-Reactive protein check with my twice yearly HIV bloodwork.  This test looks specifically for inflammation.  I think this would help with the issue raised in the NYT article.

Gary
Diagnosed Oct. 2005
10/05:  367 (26.2%), 24556 VL
01/06:  344 (24.6%), 86299 VL
04/06:  374 (22.0%), 87657 VL
05/06:  Began HAART 05/15/06, Combivir/Kaletra
07/06:  361 (27.8%), 1299 VL
10/06:  454 (32.4%), 55 VL
01/07:  499 (38.4%), UD
02/07:  Switched to Atripla 2/8/07
04/07:  566 (37.7%), UD
08/07:  761 (42.3%), UD
06/08:  659 (47.1%), UD
01/09:  613 (43.8%), UD
07/09:  616 (47.4%), UD
01/10:  530 (44.2%), UD
07/10:  636 (48.9%), UD
01/11:  627 (48.2%), UD
07/11:  840 (52.5%), UD
01/12:  920 (51.1%), UD
07/12:  857 (50.4%), 40
10/12:  UD
01/13:  710 (47.3%), UD
07/13:  886 (49.2%), UD
01/14:  985 (46.9%), UD
06/14:  823 (47.2%), UD

Online BT65

• Global Moderator
  • Vegas baby!
Your weak heart has to deal not only with teh HIV, but with the pressure of years consuming tons of nicotine, cheap booze, faux Mexican, and greasy food from Whattaboiger. 

One of my co-workers just got back from Texas and was treated with going to Whataburger (or however it's spelled).  She said she's never eaten a greasier burger in her life, not even at Steak N Shake.  She told me the burger bun was totally mush from the grease.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline elf

Many things have been liked to ''heart risks'' even in HIV- people:

1. large doses (>6g) of omega-3 acids supplements/Lovaza (can cause chest pain, arrhythmias, and raise LDL up to 50%, change the diastolic function of heart)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3317266/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2683599/?tool=pmcentrez

2. frequent strenuous exercise (marathons can can cause transposition of great arteries, creation of ''scar tissue'' in the heart, and arrhythmias)...

3. too much calcium

4. too much vitamin E?
http://www.ajcn.org/content/92/1/266.long

Many HIV+ people (including myself) take too many supplements, in extremely high doses, and this can create a risk for heart, liver, etc...eventually. In my case, 6g of Lovaza did make triglycerides go down to 79mg/dl, but it made my LDL go from 108 mg/dl to 158 mg/dl, and I experienced chest pain and occasional arrhythmias. (It made my ALT go up too, 3 times higher than normal). So, my ID doctor recommended that I should stop taking any omega-3 supplements, and limit myself to food sources of omega-3 like sardines and walnuts (up to 1.5 g a day).

I had my carotid arteries checked (in an ultrasound survey), and I have no atherosclerosis (My IMT = 22, w/o calcification; 50 is when the atherosclerosis kicks in). My troponin was always 0, and the ECG too. (I had two see my family doctor twice, after attacks of arrhythmia).

My advice: Once your triglycerides are normal, get off Lovaza. You can keep them in the normal range through low carb diet (<60g carbs a day), with sardines, olive oil, and walnuts. When you get omega-3 acids from food, they are released more slowly into the bloodstream, and are less of a shock for the organism.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 12:21:03 PM by elf »
Let's have a Kiki!

Offline NY2011

Excellent suggestion, re: requesting a hs-CRP test, or highly sensitive C-Reactive protein. Because of your post, Lou-ah-vill,  I had a doctor's appointment yesterday, and I requested this assay, and will do so twice a year.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 02:47:02 PM by NY2011 »
10/26/2011 - SEROCONVERSION (hi fever+rash)
10/31/2011 - CD4= 154  VL>500,000 
10/31/2011 - started on Truvada+Prezista+Norvir
12/14/2011 - CD4= 750 VL=6412 (45%)
01/27/2012 - switched to Atripla
04/23/2012 - CD4=1,221 VL= 140  (47%)
06/22/2012 - CD4=1,224 VL= ud    (49%)
12/18/2012 - CD4=1,031 VL= ud    (51%)
09/16/2013 - CD4=1,151 VL= ud   ( 49%)
03/26/2014 - CD4=1,050 VL= ud

Offline Miss Philicia

I have to make my first appointment with a cardiologist this month because during my sleep apnea study I showed consistent premature ventricular contractions (which can mean nothing, or conversely can mean something). However, I've also had 3 EKG's during my pre-surgery testings over the past 8 months that it didn't show up on, but then again an EKG is really just a snap shot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premature_ventricular_contraction

Offline WillyWump

and greasy food from Whattaboiger. 

One of my co-workers just got back from Texas and was treated with going to Whataburger (or however it's spelled).  She said she's never eaten a greasier burger in her life, not even at Steak N Shake.  She told me the burger bun was totally mush from the grease.

HEY! you people need to back off hatin' on my burger jointz.

I have to make my first appointment with a cardiologist this month because during my sleep apnea study I showed consistent premature ventricular contractions (which can mean nothing, or conversely can mean something).

I have that, well actually I have PAC (Atrial vs. Ventricle), mines like an extra heartbeat. Doc put me on Toprol to slow down the beats, worked great but made me very sleepy so  stopped taking it and I only now get the extra beats every now and then. It can be stress induced also, which I believe mine was.

-W
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
Wumpetta, your Photobucket account is "IwuvPhilly"?  That is lak sooo totally cute and stuff.

Offline Miss Philicia

cute or obsessive? 8)

Offline Miss Philicia

It can be stress induced also, which I believe mine was.

Mine's probably due to poppers and klonnie.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
cute or obsessive? 8)

Ya know he keeps a full-size poster of you in your leather outfit in his bedroom.

Marry him already.

Offline WillyWump

Ya know he keeps a full-size poster of you in your leather outfit in his bedroom.

Marry him already.

oh look what I found on my photobuck page...It's Charles Nelson Riley!

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
oh look what I found on my photobuck page...It's Charles Nelson Riley!

I'm sure you masturbate to it on a regular basis.  Bad, bad, bad boy.

Offline Miss Philicia

Would you prefer these (pre- and post-operative, including my mother wheeling me around in a wheelchair at Home Depot last week)?

Oh, and here's one I neglected to post of me with dear Jody when I was in NYC

Offline WillyWump

including my mother wheeling me around in a wheelchair at Home Depot last week)?

ROFLMAO
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
Many things have been liked to ''heart risks'' even in HIV- people:

1. large doses (>6g) of omega-3 acids supplements/Lovaza (can cause chest pain, arrhythmias, and raise LDL up to 50%, change the diastolic function of heart)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3317266/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2683599/?tool=pmcentrez

2. frequent strenuous exercise (marathons can can cause transposition of great arteries, creation of ''scar tissue'' in the heart, and arrhythmias)...

My advice: Once your triglycerides are normal, get off Lovaza. You can keep them in the normal range through low carb diet (<60g carbs a day), with sardines, olive oil, and walnuts. When you get omega-3 acids from food, they are released more slowly into the bloodstream, and are less of a shock for the organism.

Not good news for me considering I am on Lovaza and engage in frequent strenuous exercise. My total cholesterol, HDL, LDL are within normal range but my triglyceride is still over 200. My blood pressure is good, resting heart rate low and my last EKG in January was normal. I have not had a complete cardiac workup. I will talk with my PCP about these studies and see what he recommends.

Would you prefer these (pre- and post-operative, including my mother wheeling me around in a wheelchair at Home Depot last week)?

The picture of you and your mom is adorable!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.