HIV Transmission and Testing > Am I Infected?

risky or not?

(1/1)

woody27:
Hi, first off apologies, i have posted here sometime ago but apparently my username doesn't exist anymore so have had to re-register.

About three weeks ago I had sex with my other half, anal - receptive. To cut a long story short he tried to enter me without protection, he only managed to enter me a little (i think the term is dipping) before i realised and told him to stop and put on a condom. I didn't think too much about it at the time but about a week and a half later i came down with a fever, cough, red itchy eyes and some other symptoms which i am still suffering from ten days later.

I know you should never go by symptoms to diagnose yourself but i'm just kinda worried and thinking it seems an odd coincidence that i became ill with some viral illness after this episode. Should I be worried?

Ann:
Woody,

You are correct, you cannot be diagnosed by symptoms. Symptoms or the lack of symptoms mean nothing when it comes to hiv infection.

You have had a risk, although not a terribly high one. As the vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, a negative at that point would be an excellent indication of your true status, but MUST be confirmed at three months.

To be honest, it sounds to me like you've had a coincidental bout of cold or flu, but you do need testing to make certain. Stay productively busy until the time comes to test.

Ann

woody27:
Thanks for the reply ann.

I knew it was of some risk just didn't know how much. Like i said had i not come down with this illness I wouldn;t have thought too much about it, the incident was only for a few seconds, but i suppose nothing is without its risks.

I will of course test as I do every year.

Thanks again

Ann:
Glad to help out Woody, and good luck with the testing.

Ann

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version