HIV Prevention and Testing > Am I Infected?

Very concerned- false positive?

(1/18) > >>

Victor:
This is my situation and I am extremely scared. I had unprotected sex 4
times within a week with a female almost 8 weeks ago. I was freaking out
almost immediately since I shouldnít have done this. Anyway, even though I
knew it was too soon, I got tested with the rapid oral Oraquick and the oral
Orasure after 10 days. Both were negative. I waited 4 weeks and got tested
again with the oral Orasure only this time. Result was negative. I went in
to get tested again at the 6 week mark. I had the oral Oraquick done and
after 25 min. the nurse didnít know what to think! She went and got the Dr.
to look at the test. Anyone familiar with the Oraquick test knows that the C
line will always show and if antibodies are detected, the T line will show
as well. Well, the T line was barely showing and it wasnít fully complete.
They said that they have never seen such a light T line. They stated that it
was a positive result anyway! They immediately performed an Oraquick finger
prick blood test and it came out negative!! After that, they looked very
confused and they said that they have never had a positive oral Oraquick and
a negative blood finger prick Oraquick at the same time. They said that in
their experience when one test came out positive, the other one was positive
as well. They performed another Oral Oraquick and it came back negative this
time! So, I was left with 1 oral Oraquick ďpositiveĒ and 2 ( one blood/prick
finger Oraquick and one Oral Oraquick) negatives!! I didnít know what to
think. They stated that I was still in the window period and that I could be
sero converting. I don't understand how I could be seroconverting and getting 2 negatives and one very strange positive. Remember that I was at the 6 week mark at this time. Also, if I am seroconverting, wouldn't all the tests would have been inconclusive or positives instead of negatives?
I was told to come back in two weeks and do the testing
over again and it would be the 8 week mark then. The female that I had sex
with stated that she was tested 3 weeks ago and it was negative. She said
that she was willing to mail the results to me since she doesnít live here.
She is the only unsafe exposure that Iíve had since I was diagnosed with
herpes 2 years ago. I should have learned my lesson I guess. Anyway, I am
freaking out at this point since I donít know whatís going on with me! Was
the first oral Oraquick a false positive? I have read that the finger prick
test was more accurate than the oral one. Is it possible that I am infected?
I am going back next Weds (will be 8 weeks since exposure then) and I am
really afraid of whatís going to happen. What are the odds of being HIV+ in
my situation? I really need some help here.

Ann:
prog,

This sounds like a classic case of FALSE positive to me. I'm fully expecting you to continue testing negative. Remember, you didn't have a proper positive result on that test, only a faint line. These tests are known for their false positives.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Please start using condoms and stop playing roulette with your life and health. I'm fully expecting you to continue testing negative after this incident, but next time you might not be so lucky.

Ann

Victor:
Thanks so much for your words Ann! I have read plenty of your posts and I really like the way you write and how you communicate with us. Yeah, Dr. HHH had told me that as well. I just need a little reassurance you know? I am pretty desperate since I am working things out with my wife and we have a wonderful son together. I want to be able to raise him and be a good dad. God knows that if it wasn't for my father, I wouldn't be here today since I used to party a lot on my teen years. He passed when I was 20. I don't want that to happen to my son and I want to meet my grandchildren. Sorry about the rant, I am just feeling emotional right now.  I am not planning on doing this again. Nothing is worth going through what I am going through right now. Thanks again!

Ann:
You're welcome Prog,

Not that I think you'll need to know this, but in the very, very remote chance that you do test positive over this, there is every reason to believe you will see your son grow up (but the grandchildren thing is up to him). Hiv is no longer a death sentence, although it is a challenge to live well with.

I do expect you to continue to test negative.

Ann

Victor:
Ann,

One question I forgot to ask.. I am just getting over a cold and I am tested next Weds. I know they will start again with the rapid tests (oral Oraquick and Finger prick Oraquick). I have read here that a cold can affect the outcome of the oral one. Can it also affect the outcome of the blood finger prick one? I just don't want to have a false positive (another one! in case that is what the first one was) because of it. What are your thoughts?

Also, I am not worried about this cold since I took a family trip last week and everyone is sick. So, no ARS from this one at least. No fever, just runny nose and sneezing a little.

Hopefully I won't have any traces of this cold by Weds, but who knows?

Also, when someone is seroconverting, can that person have "positive" and negative results at the same time? I was just wondering since that's what happened to me. Even though even the Dr. said he has never seen such a faint line on the T line. So, I don't know how much I trust it to be a "positive".

Once again, loving your responses!

Progheadd

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version