POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 07:45:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23100
  • Latest: whale.
Stats
  • Total Posts: 632584
  • Total Topics: 47911
  • Online Today: 287
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Thought Many Would Find This Interesting  (Read 430 times)

Offline tednlou2

Thought Many Would Find This Interesting
« on: April 26, 2012, 12:38:42 AM »
My best friend is studying to be a respiratory therapist.  His teacher/professor gave him the assignment of doing a slide presentation on PCP pneumonia.  It was interesting to go over all his research with him.  He was surprised I knew as much as I do.  I still have not told him my status.  I think he got a little suspicious that I knew the names of the drugs used.  I was glad to see they were learning about PCP in detail, so they could apply that knowledge later.  Anyway, I was surprised to learn his teacher/professor (not sure her title) is Dr. Linda Peeno.  She was featured in Michael Moore's documentary, "Sicko."  She testified before Congress about how she worked for insurance companies such as Humana, which is headquartered here in Louisville.  She told Congress that she was responsible for at least one death.  It was her job to find any way to deny payment.  She described it as a game and that game made her a six-figure salary. 

After he gave his presentation on PCP pneumonia, she discussed with the students how they would deny coverage for AIDS patients in the late 80's and early 90's.  I didn't know this (and don't know if this is still on applications), but when customers would fill out applications for insurance, they would be asked whether they were homosexual or ever had homosexual sex.  He said that she said they would go back and look at the applications for anyone presenting with HIV/AIDS or for illnesses like PCP.  If they had claimed they were heterosexual on the application, they would use that to deny payment, saying that they lied and also engaged in high risk activity.  He said that she said that they would go back and recoup payments already made to doctors, so the docs would then bill the patients for those fees.

I wasn't surprised a health insurance company would do something like this, but I kept asking him whether he's sure he heard it correctly.  It was just hard to believe that an insurance company could base payment on whether a person was heterosexual or homosexual.  He said they did it by saying you lied on the application about your sexuality--being in a high risk group.  But, I was surprised they could even ask that question.  But, this was the late 80's and early 90's.  And, how would they prove you lied?  A person could have had their first homosexual experience after filling out the form.  And, how would they prove you got HIV through homosexual sex?  He said that she said a person with HIV/AIDS was assumed to be homosexual and engaging in high risk activity.  They could deny you, and it would be a huge battle to fight it.  An AIDS patient, who is very ill, probably wouldn't have the strength to fight it.  They most likely would let it go and end up bankrupt.  Or, in those days, they would be dead. 

So, I am a little skeptical whether he heard all this correctly.  However, I know these kind of practices happened and still happen all the time.  So, perhaps I shouldn't be that skeptical.  I now want to talk to her myself.  I would love to confirm with her what they did with HIV/AIDS patients, and whether he really did hear all that correctly.  Does anyone have any experience with this or heard anything like this?  Did they ask about a person's sexuality back then?  Do they still?  I can't imagine they could get away with this today--denying care based on an answer about sexuality.

Here is a clip of her testimony to Congress in 1996.  She doesn't mention the situation with HIV/AIDS patients.  Well, at least not in this clip.  I would like to find her full testimony to see whether she discussed this.  I suppose it may be in the C-SPAN archives. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGKtROmiJL8

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.