HIV Prevention and Testing > Am I Infected?

sex with girl while on period

(1/3) > >>

scaredashell:
I was just curious, I am a 34 yr old male who did something stupid, On June 30 th I had unprotected sex with a girl I didnt know and I was so drunk I didnt even know she was on her period. We had sex for about 15 min, when we were done I wiped myself and that was that. This has been the worst time of my life. I took an hiv antibody test at 79 days and this was neg. I was just wondering if anyone knows the percentage of people who test neg at this time and turn positive later. This was my last sexual encounter of any kind so there are no more possible exposures. Is this at least a 90% chance of being accurate, Im truly losing my mind here.If she was HIV pos what would my chances be of getting this since she was on her period?

Matty the Damned:
Settle down there stud!

Unprotected vaginal sex IS a risk for HIV transmission, but I've got some good news for you. HIV is not an easy virus to transmit. Particularly from female to male. Even if she's menstruating. Now I've put that last part in bold because I don't want you coming back with, "but she was ON HER RAG MATTY!!!" Ok? It doesn't change anything.

Most people who seroconvert do so at about 22 days following exposure. The fact that you've tested negative at the 79 day point is an excellent indicator that you'll do so at the 90 day mark. You still need to test at 12-13 weeks to confirm the all but certain negative result you've received.

All sexually active people should have a full STD screen at least twice a year. A full screen includes an HIV antibody test. Other STD's such as chlamydia and gonorrhoea are much more prevalent and infectious than HIV. If it's been a while since your last full screen or if you've not had one before, I strongly recommend you make an appointment with your doctor or local clinic.

Finally, take the time to read our well appointed Welcome Thread. It contains links to our testing and transmisions lessons.

Regards,

MtD

scaredstraight68:
I'm sure I'll get knocked down for contributing this but oh well.   I felt doc HHH had a great response to a question on how the CDC got their guideline (12 week) and why they (CDC) don't conduct a study once and for all to validate or debunk what most HIV MD's state about window periods being shortened using current testing methods.  He was actually just part of a contributing team on their study on yearly HIV testing so he obviously creditable.  I just thought it was a great response that might help you (the poster) understand CDC testing guidelines.

" Precise data on window periods DO NOT EXIST. All we have are the best estimates of experts, based on their understanding of the antibody levels and test characteristics. To the extent information is available at all, the data doesn't come from CDC, but from test manufacturers.

Further, there will not be more precise data in the foreseeable future. In order to nail down the window period with statistical certainty, you would need to study several hundred people with a known time of exposure and test them once a day (or at least every 2-3 days) for 3+ months. Probably this study will never be done in adults. Most newly infected people do not know which date/exposure infected them, because almost nobody has only a single possible exposure. (Few infected people have the single exposures described in most questions on this forum.) And to be honest, such research is not a very high priority. Few people in the public health, prevention, or HIV treatment fields see all that strong a need for more precise data--unlike many of the people on this forum.

As all my comments have implied, I am reasonably certain that if such a study could be done, it would show that almost all infected people would be positive within 6 weeks. But you cannot fault CDC for sticking to the formal information as stated by the test manufacturers and certified by FDA--i.e., 3 months.

HHH, MD"

RapidRod:
You're right scaredstraight, you have no business posting anything. Keep all your thoughts and questions in your own thread.

Matty the Damned:
Scaredstraight,

How many times do you have to be told? Stop giving advice.

MtD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version