POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 08:46:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 632489
  • Total Topics: 47901
  • Online Today: 262
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ and AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: HIV concern! Plz help :(  (Read 1775 times)

Offline anxious001

HIV concern! Plz help :(
« on: April 18, 2012, 08:54:22 PM »
Hi,

I've been following this forum since my HIV exposure back in December, and I only recently found the courage to register, and post my own HIV concern.

I'm a 23 year-old asian, heterosexual male. Always been very healthy because I was chubby and worked out a lot while attending University.
This past December 2011, I went back to China, and made a bad decision by losing my virginity at a brothel inside a 4-star hotel that mainly catered to Caucasian businessmen. I had protected vaginal sex with a condom for about 10 minutes.

Early symptoms:
 1st set of very watery diaherra, muscle pain, headache for about a week. Diagnosed with food poisoning from blood+urine+stool sample in a Chinese hospital, took 4 bottles of IV antibiotics + IV for a urinary infection+ oral antibotiocs (Norflaxacin). diaherra went away immediately

2nd set of diaherra, muscle pain, headache. Lasted 3-4 days. Diagnosed again with food poisoning after a blood sample. Took oral norflaxacin again, diaherra went away.

Then, joint pain (clicking when i walk), rash, itchy bumps that come and go away in a matter of minutes to a couple of hours, white tongue, fatigue, heavy throat congestion, anxiety, food allergies (could not eat meat + tolerate milk), dry hands+feet, brain fog, depression, stress on the eyes which made it hard to focus/concentrate.

Ongoing symptoms: It is not April, and i currently still have: white tongue (but it's a lot better now), dry hands+feet, stress on the eyes, rather smelly armpits+genitals (possible fungal infection??), weight loss (lost about 20-30lbs)

HIV testing:
-blood test at 2 weeks in China (dunno which test)
- 3rd Elisa HIV test at 6 weeks in Canada, negative
- 3rd Test HIV test at 12.5 weeks (88 days) in Canada, negative

Reason for concern: I have read, and learned enough from these forums to know that since this is a single exposure, and it was protected, and i had a negative HIV test at 88 days, that I am extremely unlikely to have HIV. In honesty, I started partying after my 12.5 week HIV test, thinking I could put this past behind me. However, I've gone back to being concerned because, my whitish-pale-ish tongue still hasn't recovered. It's not painful or anything. I thought it might be thrush, but my family doctor assured me it isn't. She says she's seen patients with this kind of tongue before after taking a lot of antibiotics, and that it should be away by 3 months. As of April 18th, it has been a week over 3 months since I first got the white tongue, and it still hasn't gone away yet. Also, the smelly armpits+genital area seems a lot like a bit of a fungal infection. I'm scared that this and the pale tongue seems to be strong signs of a very weakened immune system, caused by HIV. Finally, I talked to my family doctor + several other doctors about my whole story since I went to China, and they all think that I do not have an HIV concern. However, I recently talked to a doctor in a major Canadian hospital, and after hearing my story, he said that I should test again at 6 months, and then at 1 year to be 100% sure I do not have HIV. I've even read from some sources over the internet that 6 months is window period, not 3 months. I'm worried that, because of all the antibiotics that I took after the exposure, I am one of the rare people who will seroconvert AFTER 3 months. Or perhaps I am unaware that I have diabetes, and thus, need another HIV test at 6 months for conclusive results.

I'm really scared and really confused right now.

Are my 88-day results conclusive?
Is 3-month the window period or 6 months?
Are my symptoms related to HIV?
Should I re-test at 6 months? (I really don't want to cuz waiting for results has been so painful for me these past 3-4 months, but if I do have HIV, I really wanna start meds right away)

Offline anxious001

Re: HIV concern! Plz help :(
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 08:59:48 PM »
 I'm also concerned and afraid because I heard that the subtype-E HIV virus in China is a lot easier to transmit through hetero sex than the subtypes here in North America. I'm afraid this is another factor that increases the chance that may have caught HIV.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: HIV concern! Plz help :(
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 06:40:11 AM »
Anxious,

You're worrying for no good reason. You did what you're supposed to do - you used a condom. Condoms have been proven to prevent hiv infection.

There have been three long-term studies of couples where one is positive and one is negative. In the couples who used condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, but no barrier for oral activities, not one of the negative partners became infected with hiv. Not one.

It doesn't matter what subtype of hiv is involved - condoms will still protect you.

Don't worry about not knowing if the condom broke or not - broken condoms are VERY obvious and you would have known. It's not about small holes - broken condoms are about HUGE rips, tears and holes. You'd KNOW.

If you had oral thrush, it would hurt like hell. You don't have thrush.

You absolutely do NOT have hiv. Not only did you not have a risk to begin with, but even if you DID have a risk, you have tested conclusively hiv negative. The window period has been three months for years now and the doctor who told you to test at six and twelve months needs to go back to medical school. He's woefully out of date in his hiv knowledge.

You did NOT have a risk for hiv infection.

You have conclusively tested hiv negative.

You do NOT have hiv!

Keep using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will continue to avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!!! Read through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms correctly and with confidence.

Hiv isn't a punishment for losing your virginity in a brothel. It's just a virus that is transmitted in very specific ways. You didn't do anything that would allow the virus to be transmitted to you. Stop worrying. You didn't have a risk and you do not have hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.