POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 01:46:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 631745
  • Total Topics: 47828
  • Online Today: 266
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ and AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Not coping at all on PEP!  (Read 2627 times)

Offline Nathan442

Not coping at all on PEP!
« on: December 08, 2011, 07:59:26 AM »
Hi all,

What a great resource and source of support this forum is. I am currently on PEP (truvada and kaletra) after an unfortunate incident three weeks ago. I had been out for drinks with friends and ended up in a sauna in London in the early hours of the morning. I performed oral sex on a guy and then joined two men in a private room. I kissed and rimmed both. The other two guys proceeded to have anal sex, I didn't see any condoms in the room so I went to get some, at this stage I was unaware they were barebacking each other. As I came back to the room I put on a condom and lubed up as I went to penetrate the bottom guy he reached round and tried to pull the condom off me, I said no and fixed the condom and penetrated him, as I slipped out he reached around again and pulled the condom off and forced himself back on me for about 30 seconds before I realised what was going on. I immediately pulled out.

After this I lay down beside them as they continued having sex and masturbated - I was drunk but not delirious in any way. The bottom climbed on top of me and tried to sit on my penis - no penetration I think. My mind started to panic about what had happened and so I left and went immediately to A+E. I was prescribed a starter pack for PEP and took my fist dose of the meds approximately 2-2.5 bourse after the incident and have completed all my doses so far.

When I presented for follow up, the doctors at the GUM clinic advised me that PEP was not recommended as I was ihe insertive partner and he was not a confirmed HIV+. I insisted on continuing the meds and they relented by prescribing them to me.

I really started to panic about four days after the exposure when I discovered a thrombosed haemorrhoid just at the entrance to my anus, when I inserted my finger I could feel more piles inside. The haemorrhoids were not painful and I'm positive they weren't there before my incident at the sauna. Immediately I began to wonder if I had been penetrated by either of the men. I sniffed poppers at the time (only once) and now I'm terrified that I may have blacked out and was penetrated. I don't remember blacking out, or being penetrated, nor do I remember having a different sensation 'down there' the next day but it seems to be the only explanation I have for the haemorrhoids. It is now two weeks or so since I discovered the haemorrhoids and they have almost disappeared.

As you can see I am now terrified that i was penetrated even though I have no recollection of it happening - the hemorrhoidsnare just too suspicious, unless I had them previously and didn't notice them or unless the poppers alone caused them. I did have rectal bleeding about two/three weeks before this exposure which may have been a haemorrhoid attack but I'm at my wits end. The doctor told me I would more than likely be aware of being penetrated especially given that I can remember other less substantial things happening, he also said that hemorrhoids are not an indication that I had anal sex.

I can't believe what has happened, I always practice safe sex, indeed I berate friends who take risks with their sexual health to show more caution and here I am on PEP and will likely be positive as a result.

Any words of advice?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Not coping at all on PEP!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 09:29:36 AM »
Nathan,

I agree with the doctors - you do not need to be on PEP for this situation. I also agree that you would have known if you'd been penetrated and that hemorrhoids are not an indication of penetration. You yourself admit that you had rectal bleeding a few weeks before this incident, so you obviously already had the hemorrhoids before this happened.

I trust you were given a rapid test and that it was negative before PEP was prescribed?

You need to know that taking PEP will increase your testing window period by 28 days (or however long you take the meds for). While you would be wise to test (because of the brief unprotected insertion), I do not expect you to test positive, even if you didn't take PEP.

The earliest you should test is at six weeks post-PEP, as the vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by this time. A six week negative is highly unlikely to change, but must be confirmed at the three month point.

Again, I do NOT expect you to test positive over this situation, with or without PEP.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Nathan442

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 04:10:04 PM »
Thanks for the reply Ann, it made me feel a lot better. Unfortunately, this week I discovered a clear discharge from my penis - completely clear and sticky both before and after urination - I wouldn't say it is profuse ad generally it needs to be milked from my penis - I'm terrified I've caught chlamydia or something and as such the risk of HIV will be further increased. I've an appointment at the GUM clinic on Friday and in the meantime I've been told that a clear discharge probably doesn't mean anything at all - if it was infection it would likely be cloudy or milky. I'm at my wits end.

Only a few more days to go and then I'm finished with the PEP which will be a relief although I'm terrified I'll be hit with ARS as the virus rebounds after cessation of my treatment. On that note, I'm also concerned because exactly 14 days after exposure I had three very bad night sweats in a row - I'm trying to explain it away by the fact I was staying in a hotel and had a hot bath each night before bed but night sweats seem to be a bit suspicious.

My haemorrhoids have now completely resolved and the thrombosed one is gone I'm still terrified that I blacked out and got penetrated by the guy but my friend who I have confided in for support said I would likely remember it if I can remember other things regardless of being drunk or how hazy my memory was and also that if I was f*cked so hard in a blackout that I ended up with haemorrhoids the days after then I would have been in noticeable discomfort the next day which I wasn't.

I plan to test 6 weeks after PEP for an indication of my status but I can't help feeling that it's all worthless as the damage is done - I seem to have no coping mechanism for this and didn't get much support or even an offer of counselling from the GUM clinic. My head is spiralling and all I keep thinking is that I will end up with HIV, multi drug resistance due to PEP failure or transmission of drug resistant virus and can't see any potential for a positive outcome.

The THT telephone line and this forum has been my saving grace thus far, apologies if I'm taking advantage of your time.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 04:31:29 PM »
Whatever is going on with that discharge from your penis is not about HIV. That is not a symptom of ARS. Discuss it with your doctor. We can't diagnose anything in this  setting.
Andy Velez

Offline Nathan442

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 04:50:54 PM »
Thanks Andy,

I appreciate that. My main concern is that the PEP has failed as shown by the night sweats I had at 14 days. Do these sound suspicious to you? Have you heard of PEP failing often? I'm seeking help for my anxiety as soon as possible.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 05:08:08 PM »
Even though I do appreciate your anxious concern, in re-reading all the exchanges I see a situation in which your risk was minimal for a fleeting insertive moment...and the rest is really about anxious what ifs that in all likelihood didn't happen.

Ultimately I expect you to come out of this situation ok as far as HIV is concerned.

While waiting to test initially at 6 weeks after completing PEP, you really need to make a concerted effort to focus on other things in your life. And don't bother saying you are too worried to do that, because I can tell you that response is not going to fly here. Just do it. It will make the waiting time pass faster than you may imagine is possible. And then as I expect, you will get to a happy place about all of this. 
Andy Velez

Offline Nathan442

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 05:15:54 PM »
Thanks Andy,

I go back to work tomorrow and have loads to do so that will help take my mind of this for the time being and then the holiday season is always busy withother things so on that front I. Sure I'll manage to keep this at bay. I just became really concerned about the night sweats bang on 14 days even though my logical side is saying they are nothing to be concerned about. Are the night sweats suspicious in your view? Would the be suggestive of ARS? I never had a fever!

I'll try not to bother you with this again, and sorry for taking up your time.

Many thanks

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 09:26:38 AM »
I am not willing to speculate about your situation. Given the facts as you reported them I will just say the odds are in your favor that you will test negative.

Now, get busy with other things.
Andy Velez

Offline Nathan442

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 02:38:56 PM »
Hi Guys,

So I'm back with a new worry. Last week I had some drinks and went to a Sauna in UK. I fooled around with a couple of people and gave a guy oral but he was a bit rough so I wasnt too into it. Anyway, I was drunk (which despite my posts on her is not a common occurence) and the next day I started to worry that I may have had anal sex either as the top or bottom - but I cant remember - my fear is that I was too drunk to remember. I also seemed to remember getting semen in my eye (couldnt be definite about that though either) so I went to the ER and was prescribed PEP for exposure to semen by a mucus membrane (my eye) - I was told by the Dr that this can be classed as a high risk in the region of risk similar to intra rectal ejaculation? I also got told that as I've already had PEP in the past there is less chance of it working as my body can build up resistance - this is only the second time I've taken PEP (and will be the last) but I've never heard of this before and seems worrying!

Anyway - glad I started the PEP I think because this week I got conjunctivits in the eye I was concerned about which seems to be too much of a coincidence and must mean that I did get semen in my eye.

Anyone have any views as to my risk? I know I need to test 3 months post pep but was PEP being prescribed overkill for this situation?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 02:43:46 PM »
You would have known without a doubt had you been penetrated.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 02:44:43 PM »
I would not have thought your recent incident required PEP, but you're doing it now so it's a moot issue.

If you had had anal intercourse you would know it because your butt would be telling you that.

Despite your saying the excessivie drinking and casual sex is not the usual for you, twice in a relatively short time frame is a significant red flag to me. You need to wake up to what a dangerous combination that is in terms of negotiating safer sex practices.

Despite the opinion you received to the contrary, I would expect that ultimately you will come out of this latest incident ok.
Andy Velez

Offline Nathan442

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 03:09:40 PM »
I'm pretty sure I didnt have anal sex, in either the top or bottom role so I'm not too concerned about that. My real worry is the semen in the eye incident - this is what the Dr seemed to put all the emphasis on - is semen in the eye a big risk for HIV transmission?

thanks for your help

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 04:58:48 PM »
No, it is not a big risk.

But now you have some waiting time to get through. And ultimately only an HIV test result can give you the answer you want.

Meantime you are going to have to make a real effort to focus on other matters in your life. That may seem impossible to do but you can and doing so will make the waiting time pass more quickly than you may imagine is possible.

There's really nothing more for us to add at this point.
Andy Velez

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 05:08:26 PM »
I'm pretty sure I didnt have anal sex, in either the top or bottom role so I'm not too concerned about that. My real worry is the semen in the eye incident - this is what the Dr seemed to put all the emphasis on - is semen in the eye a big risk for HIV transmission?

thanks for your help

I am trying to find case studies to support that it's ever happened. So far, only anecdote.

In other words, it's a tempest in a teapot. I have trouble imagining a doctor so ignorant as to actually suggest that's a viable transmission route. Methinks you might need a new doctor.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 07:35:50 AM »
Nathan,

You know what? I'm also in the UK and I've been poz since 1997. I'm not on meds yet because my numbers are ok-ish - and due to the economy, they have been refusing to treat me. I've been practically begging to be put on meds for the last two years. And yet you walk into an ER and get prescribed PEP when you don't even need it? Colour me apoplectic with rage.

Get a grip already and stop wasting NHS resources. It's people like you that are going to crash the system. Stop it.

Make sure you use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse and you don't need to worry about anything else. Get. A. Clue!

Ann
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 07:37:24 AM by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.