POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 12:00:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23094
  • Latest: arielx9
Stats
  • Total Posts: 632511
  • Total Topics: 47903
  • Online Today: 265
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV & Aging Study (Moderator-Approved)  (Read 1570 times)

Offline joshmatacotta

HIV & Aging Study (Moderator-Approved)
« on: March 27, 2012, 12:44:20 PM »
Hello everyone -

My name is Josh. I spoke with the moderator who approved my request to talk to you about my dissertation research study, which is one of my doctoral degree requirements.

As a gay-identified man in the mental health profession, I believe the LGBT community needs to be heard more on issues that are particular to our community. My research interests include men's issues and resilience of our community, despite the many challenges we face.

HIV & aging issues is another area that needs to be given a voice. Not just from the medical community, but from the mental health community that will speak to how HIV-positive, gay-identified men thrive and work toward maintaining a good quality of life. My hope is that this dissertation study will add to the small, but growing, literature on this topic.

Below is the recruitment message that has been approved by my Institutional Review Board (IRB). Information on the study is available at: http://tiny.cc/hiv50info

Direct access to the informed consent page and survey (which requires the password "consent") is available at: http://tiny.cc/hiv50

I'll be checking in and happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have.
 :)

-------
I am the primary researcher of a study looking at factors that contribute to health-related quality of life in HIV-positive, gay-identified men aged 50 and older. HIV & aging issues are very important to me, and I decided to pursue this area of research for my doctoral dissertation.

In an effort to understand some of the challenges encountered and the coping mechanisms employed by these individuals, I am looking for volunteer participants to complete a brief, anonymous online survey (average time 12 minutes). If you would kindly consider reviewing the study information, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm happy to provide any additional information you may need or answer questions.

I am a doctoral candidate at the California School of Professional Psychology in San Francisco. My graduate school’s Institutional Review Board (IRB) has approved this final research project as part of my requirement to earn the doctoral degree.

I have included links in this email to both the flyer/information and the access page to the survey.

Flyer/Information Link: http://tiny.cc/hiv50info

Informed Consent and access point into survey: http://tiny.cc/hiv50

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Offline Joe K

• Global Moderator
Re: HIV & Aging Study (Moderator-Approved)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 04:12:37 PM »
I wanted to contribute, but you must be a US resident to participate.

Joe

Offline joshmatacotta

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 04:20:03 PM »
Hi Joe-

Thank you for your interest. To clarify this - this does not mean resident status/ immigration status. Only that the person physically resides in the U.S.

The reason I have that criteria is because of life experiences in different countries. Some might experience life as a gay man in the United States differently than another who experiences life as a gay man in New Zealand (a country that has a somewhat better track record w/ LGBT issues).

Offline Billy B

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 05:36:19 PM »
Hello Josh,
I took the survey and I hope you gain some good clinical information. I work at a state facility for adults with a MRDD diagnosis. We usually have several students working on their dissertations on campus at any given time. Their research has greatly advanced the care model that we use on a daily basis. I have been credited in print on several occasions with helping collect the data that they used.
Good luck with your project,
Billy

VL 4420 CD4 340 CD4% 24   3/15/10 Started I&T
VL  UD   CD4 340 CD4% 26.5 05/13/10
VL  UD   CD4 360 CD4% 27.1 08/3/10
VL  UD   CD4 310 CD4% 28.4 11/22/10
VL  UD   CD4 420 CD4% 27.9 02/11/11
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 26.4 06/08/11
VL  UD   CD4 360 CD4% 27.7 09/23/11
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 28.3 01/20/12
VL  UD   CD4 430 CD4% 28.8 05/11/12
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 28.1 09/07/12
VL  UD   CD4 390 CD4% 32.3 03/14/13

Offline wolfter

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 05:42:32 PM »
I wanted to contribute too, but I'm too young even though I've lived with this disease for 26 years.   :(

Wolfie
productivity breeds content

Online pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 06:19:23 PM »
done.... hope  this  helps  some people  who  will be living a long time with this  bug
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 06:37:30 PM »
55+ gay male here w/ AIDS, I took it and got it done, hope it helps, and it was what you were looking for , and hope I wasn't too old  :D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline joshmatacotta

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 06:53:43 PM »
Thank you all so much. I am certain that this will help tremendously!

The medical field, and the field of psychology, often want to highlight pathology. But I think it's important to also give credit where credit is due. My hope is that we can understand better how to improve quality of life. But before we can do that, we need to hear from the people who do it well. My hope is that this will help psychologists and physicians with refining their interventions as they work with an older HIV+ population.

Sorry you're too young, Wolfie! =)

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 07:32:33 PM »
Hey Josh,

I signed in to your survey without signing in to the AIDSMeds Forums.  There are 170 guests on AIDSMeds (at this moment). Any any man, woman or child with a computer could log in and complete your survey by saying they are a gay male, with HIV, who lives in the United States.  I completed half of your survey questions and am willing to bet any visitor can complete your survey often, good luck on your dissertation   Have the best day
Michael

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 08:11:16 PM »

I completed the survey

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 12.5mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started my first  HAART regimen  on October 24th,03.

As of 6/4/14,  t-cells are at 423, Viral load <40

Current % is at 13% 

62 years young.

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 08:47:35 PM »
I completed the survey.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline joshmatacotta

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 01:06:03 AM »
Thanks for the concern. I'll keep an eye out. I'm keeping track of the number of surveys completed and the referring URL and domain. Nothing out of the ordinary so far. Thanks again!

Hey Josh,

I signed in to your survey without signing in to the AIDSMeds Forums.  There are 170 guests on AIDSMeds (at this moment). Any any man, woman or child with a computer could log in and complete your survey by saying they are a gay male, with HIV, who lives in the United States.  I completed half of your survey questions and am willing to bet any visitor can complete your survey often, good luck on your dissertation   Have the best day
Michael

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 11:36:35 AM »
Hey Josh,

You are doing a fine job, you should be very proud!  Something I would like to suggest is for you to take flyers to SFAF.  They have a bulletin board on the 4th floor with plenty of support information and a few computers for the clients.

In all the years I have been a member of our Forums, I was one of 2 members in Sonoma County.  If you contact Face to Face in Santa Rosa and Food For Thought, Sonoma Counties AIDS Food Bank, they have over 650 clients and many are over 50.  During my years of trying to draw attention to an HIV issue, I blanketed the towns of Forestville, Rio Nido, Guerneville and Monte Rio with flyers.  It always brought a crowd to our gatherings.

If you travel a little further North to Ukiah, CCHAP has offices in Ukiah, Willits and Clearlake.  I believe there are enough participants to make the trip.  To the best of my knowledge, there is one Forum Member in Mendocino and she is not 50.   Thank you for your good work   8)  Have the best day
Michael

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 11:39:02 AM by Oceanbeach »

Offline joshmatacotta

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 12:17:10 PM »
Hi Michael-

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I really appreciate that! It means a lot.

Thanks for the referrals. I talked to someone at SFAF but didn't even think about the 4th floor bulletin board. I'm planning on making a trip up north very soon and I will swing by SFAF and head to Santa Rosa. Wow, Michael. It sounds like you've got a lot of knowledge in this field. Do you have any leads in the LA area? I'm down here now doing my pre-doc/post-doc at Cal Poly Pomona. I've talked to the LA Gay and Lesbian Center. And a few places in San Diego. I've found that people are really enthusiastic about HIV & Aging issues. I think that's awesome!

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 05:13:48 PM »
Hey Josh,

There is APLA downtown L.A., The Center in Long Beach, The Care Program at St. Mary's (Long Beach) and many hospices I remember in Long Beach such as Padua House. 

St. Mary's at Long Beach was the first medical center to open a non-profit HIV Health Center.  During my Summer stay at St. Mary's, I asked a Nurse to disconnect my saline drip so I could go for a walk.  The medical staff was thrilled because they felt it meant I wanted to live (1996).  Throughout the hospital, I saw posters re: industrial safety in the health center environment.  I was going down to the Safety Office and talking to the Director of Safety about industry specific safety issues, I started and completed Safety Trivia for Medical Centers and within the next 10 years, I designed a safety program based on the same concepts and theories, in 9 industry types.

All of the hospitals within the UC system offer HIV care and where there are HIV services, there is an ASO close by.   8)  Have the best day
Michael

Offline weasel

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 12:56:12 PM »

Hi Josh ,
                   I did the  Study for you .

Some really   good questions  .

Carl   :)
" Live and let Live "

Offline joshmatacotta

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 03:52:41 PM »
Thank you. Very much appreciated!

Hi Josh ,
                   I did the  Study for you .

Some really   good questions  .

Carl   :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.