POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 10:07:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 631549
  • Total Topics: 47805
  • Online Today: 256
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Alternatives for PPI with Complera?  (Read 1283 times)

Offline forrest

Alternatives for PPI with Complera?
« on: March 29, 2012, 10:55:02 PM »
In preparation for starting Complera at some point in my future, I switched over from taking Zegerid to Pepsid.  I guess I won't be able to take PPI's with Complera so I thought I would try to find something now. My doctor recommended Pepsid... but man, it's not doing much!  :( 

I've taken Nexium, Prevacid, Protonix, and hmmm one more I can't think of.  Nothing over the years has helped like Zegerid!  I have been told by a couple GI docs that I have the start of Barret's Esophagus and then I've been told by a couple more that I don't have Barrett's.  I've had plenty of upper endoscopy's done. 

I switched over to Pepsid about a month ago... and over the past couple weeks, I've been having chest pains (I've had these in the past - cardiac has always been fine... and I know GI issues can cause chest pains as well)... but regardless, I am seeing my reg (non HIV) doc next week so I will be asking him to double-check chest as well. 

Is there anything else other than Pepsid that I could take with Complera? Any one else in this same sort of situation?  I really miss Zegerid -I've taken faithfully for quite a few years and it's done such a nice job.

Thanks a lot!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 11:03:00 PM by forrest »
2011-03-26:  Tested Positive

Date           |VL        |CD4 |4%  |CD8 |8%  |C4:C8
2011-04-06 |48,653 |603 |32.0 |646 |35.0 |0.61
2011-05-23 |64,324 |577 |36.0 |576 |36.0 |1.00
2011-08-02 |18,319 |574 |36.3 |587 |37.2 |0.98
2011-12-06 |10,375 |480 |30.1 |616 |38.7 |0.78
2012-02-22 |  9,674 |570 |33.6 |655 |38.7 |0.87
2012-05-04 |  8,439 |559 |30.4 |706 |38.4 |0.79

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Re: Alternatives for PPI with Complera?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 03:07:31 AM »
You could always take a different drug regiment (this is for you Miss P) say perhaps one of the other once dailies?

Offline surf18

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 04:12:33 AM »
Yep that's one reason I didn't switch to it. Can't give up my nexium.
I took myself off nexium to see and it was a disaster so I stayed with current meds.
I'll wait for quad pill.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 05:59:47 AM »
Have you ever been tested for Helicobacter pylori? H. pylori is one of the leading - but all too often undiagnosed - causes of acid-type stomach upsets and ulcers. It's treatable with a somewhat long course of a double and sometimes triple combo of antibiotics. If I remember correctly, the treatment usually lasts three weeks.

An ex-boyfriend's mother was suffering from acid-stomach problems and her doctor kept telling her that it was an unavoidable result of a calcium med she was taking. She was becoming more and more miserable - to the point of not being able to eat like she should and losing (much needed) weight as a result.

I urged her to insist on being tested for H. pylori. Her doctor relented after a few months of being nagged about it (odd, but many doctors don't seem to know about or
"believe in" H. pylori.

She tested positive, did the treatment, and never again had stomach problems despite remaining on the med that was originally given the blame. Score one for the knowledgeable, persistent patient! ;D 

Get your doctor to test you for H. pylori. (google it - there are plenty of articles on reputable sites about it) If nothing else, you may rule it out, but if you do test positive relief may be only a few weeks away.

Good luck!

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline forrest

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 09:49:21 PM »
Meant to say Thanks for the replies.

Ann - I did have this tested... but it's been awhile.. as in it was tested back in 1999... so it's time to test again!! Especially, since I have been to many developing countries since then.  You never know what you could catch overseas... especially with a super sensitive American digestive system   :o 

I actually went back on Zegerid...and within a couple days... I am feeling so much better... So, not sure what I'm gonna do.  I'd like to know my choices other than pepsid. Or, if anything natural... I've had GI issues for a long time.  Something in Zegerid sure does it for me though. 

Anyway... thank you!
2011-03-26:  Tested Positive

Date           |VL        |CD4 |4%  |CD8 |8%  |C4:C8
2011-04-06 |48,653 |603 |32.0 |646 |35.0 |0.61
2011-05-23 |64,324 |577 |36.0 |576 |36.0 |1.00
2011-08-02 |18,319 |574 |36.3 |587 |37.2 |0.98
2011-12-06 |10,375 |480 |30.1 |616 |38.7 |0.78
2012-02-22 |  9,674 |570 |33.6 |655 |38.7 |0.87
2012-05-04 |  8,439 |559 |30.4 |706 |38.4 |0.79

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.