POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2014, 05:03:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 649681
  • Total Topics: 49583
  • Online Today: 195
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Pink Slime: It's What's For Dinner  (Read 1588 times)

Online tednlou2

Pink Slime: It's What's For Dinner
« on: March 10, 2012, 01:05:09 AM »
ABC News has been doing reports all week about a substance called Pink Slime that is found in most ground beef.  When you buy a package of ground beef, it is suppose to not contain more than 25% of the Pink Slime.  Just 25%.  It is used as a filler to bulk it up.  It is all the bad parts that use to only be used to make pet food.  They spin it, spray some ammonia on it, and Voila!  An insider said it has the consistency of Play-Doh.  This is probably why I often get the shits after eating ground beef. 

There's crap in most of the food we buy.  When we buy a pound of ground beef that probably came from 50 cows injected with hormones and antibiotics, I'm not sure whether this should come as any surprise.  The FDA claims it is perfectly safe.  I remember hearing McDonald's and Taco Bell were pressured to get rid of it, but wasn't sure what it was.  Watching how meat is brought to the market (regardless of whether this is safe like the FDA claims), makes me want to become a vegetarian.  Or, pay more for organic.  But, then again, I have been known to eat Potted Meat on a cracker, so I suppose I have no reason to complain.  We basically only eat chicken in our home and really only cook ground beef when making chili during the winter.   

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/pink-slime-outrage-tips-checking-beef-15881667

The wikipedia entry on pink slime:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_slime   

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
Re: Pink Slime: It's What's For Dinner
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 01:14:11 AM »
Teddy,

At one point in my misspent youth I did a stint working in an abattoir. That's a slaughterhouse.

As the most junior lad I got to be first cut in the tripe room. You should google that.

Let me assure you, "pink slime" is the least of your worries.

MtD

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 02:38:19 AM »
Teddy,

At one point in my misspent youth I did a stint working in an abattoir.

You've gravely sinned according to my beliefs.

This reminds me of this story from a couple of years back: My car was at a traffic signal and this old, gaunt, decrepit woman came up begging for food (beggars are very common in the large cities, here in India). I had some Japanese beef noodles leftover from the night before, so I handed it over.

My faux pas immediately dawned on me, but I still managed to ask her if she ate any meat (no pun intended) (I didn't say it was beef- that would have tipped her over the edge, I think ;D). At once, all the colour drained out of her face, her eyes piercing me with revulsion and horror. Her hands trembling in convulsing rage.

The light turned green and I drove away- but there was enough time for her to hurl the noodles back at my face.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 03:08:07 AM by spacebarsux »
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 04:03:48 AM »
You've gravely sinned according to my beliefs.

This reminds me of this story from a couple of years back: My car was at a traffic signal and this old, gaunt, decrepit woman came up begging for food (beggars are very common in the large cities, here in India). I had some Japanese beef noodles leftover from the night before, so I handed it over.

My faux pas immediately dawned on me, but I still managed to ask her if she ate any meat (no pun intended) (I didn't say it was beef- that would have tipped her over the edge, I think ;D). At once, all the colour drained out of her face, her eyes piercing me with revulsion and horror. Her hands trembling in convulsing rage.

The light turned green and I drove away- but there was enough time for her to hurl the noodles back at my face.  ;)

I hasten to add that as first cut, the beast was already dead when it got to me.

My task was to make the opening cuts in it's belly, allowing the viscera to be removed in a single lot without contaminating the salable carcass.

I spent the first two weeks covered in the stomach contents of many ruminants.

When breaking down sheep I was also responsible for removing the head.

The wages were excellent.

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 10:57:30 AM »
1) you can find a local butcher and have him grind meat for you per order

2) you can grind your own meat at home if you don't have access to a neighborhood butcher. If you own a KitchenAid stand mixer you can get a $60 attachment that grinds meat. Or you can buy a stand alone electric grinder for around $100-150
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline aztecan

• 29 years positive, 57 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 12:00:16 PM »
1) you can find a local butcher and have him grind meat for you per order

2) you can grind your own meat at home if you don't have access to a neighborhood butcher. If you own a KitchenAid stand mixer you can get a $60 attachment that grinds meat. Or you can buy a stand alone electric grinder for around $100-150

I have one of those hand grinders, which works very well.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 12:09:53 PM by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline odyssey

• One Crazy Mofo!
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 09:00:06 PM »

So that's how you've gotten rid of all the bodies of those rent boys!  :o

oddy
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
01/16/09   CD4-425    22%  VL- 32,415
11/09- started Reyetaz/Norvir/Truvada
03/10- stopped R/N/T
10/18/11   CD4- 328   20%  VL- 84,000
10/25/11   CD4- 386   22%
10/28/11- start Truvada/Reyetaz/Norvir
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
03/08/12  CD4- 503  31%  VL 57
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

02/14- switched from R/N/T to Tivicay/Epzicom because of CKD 3 suspected from tenofovir.

03/14- switched back to R/N/T due to severe nausea and inability to eat on T/E.

04/01/14 CD4- 898  42%   VL-

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 10:25:59 AM »
Ive seen more than enough of these reports and videos about the horrors of industrial food processes and products.  The consumer, once he/she knows and decides to care, has a choice to avoid these products, but unfortunately not always the budget nor always the time.  Like so many things in life, it's another effort to be made.

There are still yearly busts in Switzerland for false "organic" merchandising.  Organic is overpriced and rather off the issue of whether you are eating a "whole" food product or not. 

Buying a chicken is a sure bet.  Buying a frozen "meat" patty, hmmm...

Now at the meat counter, can they call fresh ground beef in a package, "100% ground beef" it it contains this pink slime?  I seem to remember in the US there is a choice in a decent supermarket of grades of packaged ground beef. And in some supermarkes even, you can always ask the butcher to grind it before your eyes.  But yeah you gotta pay.

So you go buy the chicken and it the same damnned effort. Is it an industrial chicken? Local?  Free range?  Organic?  Here in Switzerland the cheapest chickens are 8 bucks for a small bird.  Soon as you get into a "quality" chicken, you're paying 16 and if you want a real French free range delicious one 20+++.   The ground beef starts to tempt....  Or maybe back to the cheap industrial bird, which probably lived a horrible life and will taste a bit blah. But at least you can see, its a chicken, not "chicken".

« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 10:27:52 AM by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Growler

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 02:00:40 PM »
Kids these days don't know how lucky they have it. Back in my days we used to dream of getting pink slime for dinner. When we were lucky enough to eat dinner (and that was never more than once a month) Ma would serve to us the box that the pink slime had been packed in and we grateful to have it!

GROWLER
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 03:29:43 PM by Growler »
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline weasel

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 09:18:24 AM »

That is very gross  , I read that the other day !

Funny it did not make our news  ???

Bob and I live in BEEF Country , So we get fresh Beef from neighbors .

I also use the grinder thingy  ;)

I do not eat out too often and Pink Slime is not on my menu   , BARF !

Our local   Processor  has  good  beef .   

A short trip   85  miles and we  buy Baffalo , I hope does not have slime  :-X

Weasel   :-*
" Live and let Live "

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 10:41:52 AM »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline wolfter

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 11:56:27 AM »
Yet another reason to go tofu.
Complacency is the enemy.  ;)  Challenge yourself daily for maximum  return on investment.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.