POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 12:06:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 644106
  • Total Topics: 49023
  • Online Today: 144
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: And The Band Played On  (Read 1592 times)

Offline wolfter

And The Band Played On
« on: March 15, 2012, 03:12:23 PM »
The first time I watched this movie, I almost couldn't deal with my emotions.  I decided to get it from the library again after all these years.  Even though I've hardened over time, I again was overwhelmed with emotion.

I'm sure there are other threads about this movie, but another can't hurt.  I managed to not cry through the entire thing this time....I must be growing emotionally.

Wolfie
Complacency is the enemy.  ;)  Challenge yourself daily for maximum  return on investment.

Offline liketheboat

Re: And The Band Played On
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 04:08:27 PM »
I just read that book for the first time a few weeks ago. Amazing read! I highly reccomend it to anyone that is interested in the early days of the AIDS epidemic.
Aaron
Memorial Day 2010 Seroconverted
Labor Day 2010 tested positive
Oct 2010 cd4 359 vl 6,500
Dec 2010 cd4 vl 306
Jan 2011 started Atripla
Feb 2011 cd4 250 vl ud
April 2011 cd4 399 vl ud
June 2011 cd4 293 vl ud
October 2011 cd4 354 vl ud
March 2012 cd4 561 vl ud

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 04:12:18 PM »
I thought the book was great.  Couldn't put it down.  I'd also highly recommend it to anyone interested.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline buginme2

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 05:13:53 PM »
It was a good book.  The author does spend quite a bit of time focusing on Gaetan Dugas though.  Part of it seemed a little accusatory.  The section where he describes gaetan in the bath house telling his trick "i have aids and now so do you" after turning on the lights and showing his Kaposi sores.  I read a review later that said that was made up and never happened.  Kind of felt like he was doing the blame game.  Which continues today.  Does the movie spend a lot of time on this?

Wow, this thread is kind of like book club
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 05:16:00 PM by buginme2 »

Offline wolfter

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 11:38:29 PM »
I spent the entire day thinking through my own history after watching this again. 
There were many relevant points made that finally allowed me to realize that many communities were devastated early on that will never be written about. 

The "straight" press didn't mention this problem and therefore many of us in our small ass communities only had our religious leaders to guide us. 

We had our own version of patient zero here in our small little community.  What wasn't be told was that the entire nation was at risk.  I'm awed at the reality looking back.  For such a small community, we had a high mortality rate from this disease that wasn't even named. 

Of all the obits that I look at, only one cites AIDS.  I knew so many who died of mysterious diseases and cancers.  We had so many who died from suicide that didn't fit the profile of someone who would.  Those stories will need to be told to put an accurate face on this disease. 

We had a guy we grew up that moved to the big LA in the late 70's and returned about the time I was graduating from highschool.  I never slept with him, but I slept with most of the people he did. 

But we weren't at risk.  Yet our small village has witnessed the disease and seen many fine people die way too young. 

And Bug, if criticism is all you got from this story, there's not much more I can add that can help deal with the horrible crisis we endured.

Wolfie

Complacency is the enemy.  ;)  Challenge yourself daily for maximum  return on investment.

Offline jackfrost

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 04:57:02 PM »
I just finished reading the book, I couldn't put it down.

Offline surf18

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 05:44:27 PM »
i just read it on vacation via kindle and it was great. i too couldn't put it down. sad though very sad. the death of that guy gary walsh pushed me to tears.
like i said in a previous post i couldn't even begin to imagine what it was like to live as a gay man during that time. terrible. though bath houses sounded like fun. haha

Offline rjoh

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 05:49:05 AM »
I read the book shortly after it was first published and can remember being very angry with everyone involved.....doctors, activists, politicians, you name it.

When the movie came out, I remember watching it and some of those same feelings came out, with one new feeling.....I cannot watch any movie with Alan Alda again. His role as Saint Gallo has permanently been etched in my brain.

I just watched it again last week. It is still powerful.

I am currently reading a book "My Own Country" by Dr. Abraham Verghese, an ID doctor of Indian heritage that chronicles his own experiences through the early days of the epidemic in a small Tennesee town. It is informative and a good read.

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 02:55:12 PM »
Once again, I'm opening an old thread cause I've been watching these movies about the bad old days of AIDS.. "And the band played on" was very educational as well as moving.. I really disliked Dr.Gallo though for the obvious reasons.

Also saw "The Ryan White story" :'( bawlin through most of it, good movie.

"Philadelphia" was the only movie I saw prior to my dx.. Since then I've seen, "Dallas buyers club", "How to survive the plague" and "We were here".

Want more to see more, any suggestions would be appreciated.. Thanks

Offline Ptrk3

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 03:03:52 PM »
Here's a list in the link below.  "Angels in America" is great.

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls055892172/

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 04:35:17 PM »
Here's a list in the link below.  "Angels in America" is great.

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls055892172/
;) Thanks for the link.. Forgot, I did see "The Normal Heart", "Rent" and "Kids".. Thought I was living under a rock over the years  :-\

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.