POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 04:35:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 635506
  • Total Topics: 48209
  • Online Today: 271
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Probiotics , Do you take them ? Is there a LINK on here ?  (Read 968 times)

Offline weasel

Probiotics , Do you take them ? Is there a LINK on here ?
« on: March 14, 2012, 10:52:46 AM »

Howdy   ALL  :)  ,

I have been taking  Probiotics for about a month now .

They seem to make my gut feel better and have  less PAIN .

My question is how long should I take them  and Does our MEDS.   kill good

Bactria  ?   I do eat  plain  yogurt , barf !

Weasel  :-*

P.s. Waiting for the painters to put   " Good Year " on my belly  ???
" Live and let Live "

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
Re: Probiotics , Do you take them ? Is there a LINK on here ?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 11:15:06 AM »
I don't eat  Probiotics or Yogurt, all I do is poop them right out, they don't work for me, wish they did, but, I'm sure others will chime-in with better news on them then I can give you  ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline buginme2

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 02:15:04 PM »
I take them.  I have found what I beleive to be the best probiotic brand on the market.  Unfortionately you cannot buy them online you have to go into the store to get them (because they must stay refrigerated - the bacteria need to remain alive).  Depending on where you are there may be a store near you.

Den, you are in ABQ right? There is a store there if you want to try them. 

http://www.pharmaca.com/pharmaca-store-locations.aspx

I take them regularly for about a month, then I stop taking them for about 2-3 months then repeat the cycle.  Works for me, you may just need to test it out for you.

Offline weasel

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 02:19:24 PM »

Hey   Buginme  :)

You have a name  for them ? 

I am 2 & 1/2   hours  away from Saint Louis   .

Sure I could find them  ? 

Thanks  , Weasel  :-*
" Live and let Live "

Offline buginme2

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 02:25:53 PM »
The brand is Pharmaca.  It is their own brand.  I dont think they are in st louis.  I would call around to your local vitamin shops or natural markets and ask if they sell probiotics and if they do if they are refrigerated or live cultures.  The problem is the kind you find in the drug store are dried out and much of the bacteria die (at least thats what the hippies at my pharmacy tell me). 

Offline buginme2

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 02:28:55 PM »
Sorry to post so much on here, but Weasel if that doesnt work you could call the Pharmaca store that is closest to you and see if they could ship you some overnight.  Im sure just one day not refrigerated wouldnt cause that much trouble.

I posted a link of their locations above

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 02:33:23 PM »
I take them too. Just regular probiotic yoghurt.

It's made a discernible difference in my bowel movement. Also, I'm Indian and Indian yoghurt (which is virtually identical to Greek yoghurt<--- this has good bacteria in it) is an integral part of our diet.

Here's a link on the utility of probiotics for us pozzers.  :)

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/NR100157_dietary_probiotic_1667_17313.shtml
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline weasel

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 03:40:54 PM »
  Thanks for the  LINK   ;)

I feel so much better !

No bloating or  air releasing  symptoms  ::)

I will   check with  Saint Louis  to see if I can find them .

Unfortunately  over nighting  to my area is not so easy   :-X

I am off the beaten tract .   But i will find them , Glad to know  my

Greek Yogurt  is good for me , Not so keen on the taste .

I love   Sour cream  :D   

But  I have been   downing a cup of the Yogurt  everymorning .

Weasel    :-*   
" Live and let Live "

Offline buginme2

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 03:46:48 PM »
If you don't like yogurt, you could also try
Acidopholus milk
Kombucha tea
Kefir
all of those have live cultures in them and you can purchase them in many supermarkets.

Offline weasel

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 06:00:22 PM »
If you don't like yogurt, you could also try
Acidopholus milk
Kombucha tea
Kefir
all of those have live cultures in them and you can purchase them in many supermarkets.

I'll stick with yogurt .   Kefir  is really   too out there  :-X

It is ODD , I just got off the phone with a friend and she said probiotics made her sick and swollen ???

I need to find my Yogurt and DILL   dip  recipe  , it is good !

Shrimp & Brown rice for dinner .     

No greens till next week   :'(

Weasel  :-*
" Live and let Live "

Offline Buckeyerob75

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 09:14:18 PM »
Hey Weasel thanks for posting this as I was about to ask the same question when I found yours!

If I take Keifer I mix it with a little whey protein, plain yougart and some fresh fruit in my magic bullet (blender) lol It takes the bitter/weird taste away and is still good for you.

Back in November/December before I was diagnosised I was sick pretty much the entire 2 months with colds and other infections. Well my sister suggested I check out a probiotic for immunity called Silver Biotics by American Biotech Labs. It's more for immunity than for digestion but since taking it I haven't been sick once and when I felt a cold coming on it never took hold and made me ill. 

I did start another one called PB8 which is glutten free and has helped with my digestion issues. Both are much cheaper online than in a store but so far these are working for me. Since I'm not taking HAART yet I'm not sure how that'll affect things but I'm going to keep using them until I can't lol
6/2011- Tested Negative
1/2012- Tested Positive- CD4 180/VL 105,000
4/2012- CD4- 129/VL 29,000
4/2102- Started Atripla
11/2012- CD4- 157/VL 40

Offline surf18

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 09:27:13 PM »
i took them for a bit. ripped my gut up. couldn't stay out of the bathroom. i discontinued them and feel much better. everyone's reaction on them is different.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.