Main Forums > AIDS Activism

ACT UP 25th Anniversary ACTION APRIL 25 WALL STREET 25 for 25

(1/4) > >>

Andy Velez:
On March 28th, in celebration of its 25th Anniversary, ACT UP in conjunction with many other groups is returning to Wall Street, where its first demonstration was held in 1987.

This time the focus is going to be on demanding the adoption of the Financial Speculation Tax, the adoption of which would effectively finance essential HIV/AIDS and other health needs currently in jeopardy or being denied.

If you are going to be in NYC on that Wednesday or you can get here, come join us! ACT UP meets every Monday night at the LGBT Community Center on West 13th Street. Your help is needed and all are welcome.

Matty the Damned:

--- Quote from: Andy Velez on February 28, 2012, 08:20:24 AM ---On March 28th, in celebration of its 25th Anniversary, ACT UP in conjunction with many other groups is returning to Wall Street, where its first demonstration was held in 1987.

This time the focus is going to be on demanding the adoption of the Financial Speculation Tax, the adoption of which would effectively finance essential HIV/AIDS and other health needs currently in jeopardy or being denied.

If you are going to be in NYC on that Wednesday or you can get here, come join us! ACT UP meets every Monday night at the LGBT Community Center on West 13th Street. Your help is needed and all are welcome.

--- End quote ---

25 years? How marvellous!

I think we all owe a considerable debt of gratitude to the ACT UP (and Queer Nation) activists who did so much to make our lives worth living.

I know I speak on behalf of many of us when I say a part of that gratitude is properly yours Andy.

So thank you.

And may you continue to inspire activism in our community.

A gezunt der in pupik!  :-*

MtD

Andy Velez:
Thanks very much, Matty.

Being a part of ACT UP since the first Wall Street demo in 1987 has without a doubt been a life transforming experience personally. And a continuing education, no kidding.

Thanks again and a blessing on your keppie, mahzel tov mahzel tov.

In solidarity forever,

Andy

Jody:
Thanks for the heads up Andy, I have Wednesday, March 28th circled on my calendar.  I will get the demonstration's time soon enough so as not to be late.

Jody

leatherman:
Without the actions of ACT UP in those early years, there would have been even more suffering and certainly more deaths. As one of the people spared by the advent of AZT and the arrival of those first antiretrovirals, I've always believed those meds only came about because ACT UP pushed - and pushed hard when and where it was necessary. Without their voices, their passion, their activism, who knows how many more years and deaths would have gone by before things finally turned around.

Thank You Andy, and  Happy Birthday ACT UP!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version