POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 06:21:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23787
  • Latest: rvarona
Stats
  • Total Posts: 643583
  • Total Topics: 48969
  • Online Today: 203
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Feeling a bit down  (Read 1697 times)

Offline manchesteruk

Feeling a bit down
« on: September 25, 2006, 06:03:48 PM »
I wasn't going to post this because I feel like an idiot for thinking it but I just wanted to get it off my chest.

A month ago I felt brilliant i'd just got myself a new job things were looking up and yet for the past week and for absolutely no reason at all i've been so down it's been horrible.  I feel like I have nothing to look forward to and nothing to be happy about.  Now the wierd thing is in another week I know i'll be fine again.  I've never had to put up with mood swings like this before until I was diagnosed I suppose it's something i'll have to get used to.  A side effect of HIV the doctors don't want to hear about I suppose!
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
Re: Feeling a bit down
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 06:51:23 PM »
you aren't alone.  Lexapro is the way to go.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 07:08:04 PM »
Good to get it off your chest and this is the place to do it. The ups and downs are par for the course.

If you can't think of anything else to do make a list of 8 things you are grateful for. Amazing what a difference it can make in shifting things.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 07:13:35 PM »
Manchester...

You will have your ups and downs, with or without HIV.  You said you recently started a new job.  This is considered a "life changing event", one in which can put you through all the emotions that a negative change will do.  It's normal, you are human after all.

Last year, you were diagnosed.  I assume all this is still sinking in with you.  That's ok.  Take the time you need to adjust to it, then move on to the next step.

As long as you continue to move in the right (positive) direction, your down days will come fewer and further between.

Try exercising and keeping your mind busy.  Start a project at home, or outside, and keep focused on that.  Read a few books, write poetry... whatever helps you get through this rough patch.  Talk to a friend or two, borrow their shoulder to cry on.  And get a good cry in too!!

Just remember, alcohol and recreational drugs will only enhance your depression, so try to curb that if you are partaking in those activities.

I hope you get through it quickly.  Being depressed is not fun.

Chin up, cheer up... and be well.
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline fearless

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 07:48:14 PM »
Hey Chris,

Sorry to hear you are feeling this way. We understand.

I've just started seeing a therapist. I knew I was not depressed but my anxiety about what may or may not happen in the future was paralyzing me. I lost all motivation and self confidence and was cutting myself off from the world. The therapy, much to my surprise, has been really helpfull in refocussing my thoughts and feelings back to the here and now and what I can achieve. I'm slowly but surely stopping to project out my fears and anxieties into a future that may never be.

It's good to get those things off your chest here, but if you find your feelings start to take over your thought patterns and effect your daily life perhaps consider seeking some professional help.

All the best.

Stephen
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Eldon

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 12:55:58 AM »
Hey Chris,

I agree with Steve. Anxiety can be the cause of your situation. Then again, it could be a slight depression that you are in. Lexapro is good for handling that. However, I am not a Psychologist. If the problem persits and you start to get irritable, please DO check-in with a therapist to discuss your situation.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 04:26:56 AM »
Hi Chris,

May I suggest you start by NOT FEELING GUILTY about having moodswings.
I have been fighting them for a long time. And I've come to accept them. It's hard, yes I know.

IZpoz and fearless said it all.

May I add a couple of suggestions, but first of all, may I hug you warmly as you are a sweet human with his heart on the right spot.

Try to accept your emotions as they are at the moment. If you remember that feeling great will not last then know that feeling down will not last either. Live your feelings.

Try to be aware of the PRESENT more. Do it by breathing in and out very consciously. At the same time concentrate on what you do. That helps to also control negative emotions when they tend to take over.

And most  important of all : no law says that we have to accomplish certain things in life. As simple as it may sound : you are fine the way you are. Don't let people push you into being someone or accomplishing something.

Maybe googling "mindfulness" will help.

Baby, don't worry. You are a pupil in the school of LIFE. And learning is what we all do the most. IF we are prepared to accept the process of falling and standing up again.

Love
Hermie :)

Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Viread, Kivexa (Epzicom),Viramune once daily

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 04:53:22 AM »
Chris, it's okay to PMS every now and then. No since letting the girls here use that excuse exclusively.  ;) If you are really having a battle with it, say something to your doctor. Like HIV, depression is an illness and there is no reason to let depression continue to enter into your life. If you are a techno person, then you would enjoy bio-feedback, it works.

Rod

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 07:30:33 AM »
Fear not for you are in good company....Mood swings seems to go hand in hand with HIV and the meds
so don't hesitate to get it off your chest so to speak.  I too find myself feeling much the same as you do.
I do believe that when we accept our shortcomings/ idiosyncrasies /conflicting emotions and bring them into
the light, we begin the journey to understand ourselves.  Please know you are not alone...and hang in there.
You Are In Good Company.........your family.

Hope you feel better soon............{{{{{{ Sending lots of positive vibes your way }}}}}}
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline poobear

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 11:12:03 PM »
Hi Chris,
   I am glad I found your post.  I have had a tough day with feeling a bit down.  Alot of good suggestions and you are not alone.  I was going to post but I think your post has helped me for now.  So I thank you.  I hope this passes for you soon.  we are in this together.  Big Hug to you. Rachel

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 11:27:17 PM »
Read the the next page Chris...

Love

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 02:44:41 AM »
My dear man in the north

IzPoz says many sensible things. 

You are, really, at the end of an era, having successfully completed college and found a good job (plus brilliantly weathered an HIV diagnosis etc).  "Now what?" is a good question.  I remember feeling much the same when I started working after uni, cos I'd done what I was supposed to do, but...what did I really want to do with my life?, and where are my friends? etc etc. So I think at this point in your life it's natural to feel flat, or out of sorts, or depressed even.  Plus it has put you into a whole new set of sensible "9-to-5" relationships with people.  It's a big change all this.

You can't have something to look forward to without a plan, goal etc, and the routine of work, however brilliant the job, is, quickly I think, rather flattening to the spirit and discourages dreaming.

I assure you there is loads to look forward to, maybe you just can't see it just now. Maybe it's the wrong time to see it.  I believe good plans come from being out of sorts with the world, boredom etc.  When I was where you are, this is when I discovered swimming.  Apart from the physical benefits on mood, it was great thinking time, and it was while swimming I decided to jack in my dream 80s job in ad copywriting (ahem, in the Midlands, so I was deluded), move to London and  go into mental health social work (many of my  big decisions seem to have been made in swimming pools or the gym, hmm..)

Chin up, good luck mr

- matt

Now playing: James, Laid
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 03:44:57 AM »
Hey Chris,

I agree with Newt, physical excersise works for me too when this kind of things happen. I go running. And it does happen now and then. For periods of some days I wouldn't think about medication. It sounds absolutely normal to me, even though it is not pleasant.

Hug!

Coen
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 03:38:27 PM »
Thankyou for the great advice everyone you are all amazing.  I've got to say Matt raised a few points there I hadn't really considered and they really make sense.  I've been thinking about it and i've decided to work in an office until i've paid off some uni debts and in the meantime have a serious think to see if I can actually work out what I want to do with my life, not as easy as it sounds!  Thanks again everyone I really honestly appreciate all your advice it's invaluable.

Chris
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.