POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 03:11:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23519
  • Latest: Krn1234
Stats
  • Total Posts: 639752
  • Total Topics: 48566
  • Online Today: 221
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ and AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: help pls... worried..  (Read 731 times)

Offline scaredts

help pls... worried..
« on: February 25, 2012, 07:54:25 AM »
hi.. i just discovered this forum. Im a pre-op male to female trans

i had tonsilitis/strep in sept. 18, 2010, as well as very high fever and on the 2nd day of the very high fever i became a bit red like i had measles for the night which disappeared the next. after 4 days the fever was gone and i went to the doctor and he gave me antibiotics because he thought i had strep/ tonsilitis. Around 10 or 11 days before that i surely remember giving unprotected oral sex to a man i did not know well. he ejaculated a little in my mouth and i always thought that i was safer to swallow than to spit it out so i did. I remember the date correctly because it was on a trip out of town and i had pics. I have never liked anal sex, it has never turned me on and the closest i could come with that was the guys penis touching my ass but not penetrating me, and the last encounter like that was around june but with a different partner.

at the time of what i considered as symptoms i never really gave it much thought but i was able to attend a tg seminar last year while on vacation to asia and it opened my eyes on all stds and hiv. then i remembered getting that strep/ tonsilitis and fever and i am so scared that it might have been a symptom of zero conversion. Ive never been seriously ill since that once september 2010 except gastritis in november 2010 which the doctor diagnosed have been cause by excessive crash diets/yoyo-dieting to lose weight and having mild coughs and colds during winter. i also had dermatitis in june 2011 and february 2012. Im originally from asia and moved to north america and not really used to the cold winters.

can i please have your thoughts on this? thank you so much.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: help pls... worried..
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 08:04:32 AM »
Scared,

Neither symptoms nor the lack of symptoms will ever tell you a single thing about your hiv status. ONLY testing will. A test at three months (or more) past your last incident of unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse will be conclusive.

It doesn't seem as you've ever had a risk, unless you've had unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse that you've neglected to tell us about. Sexually speaking, the only confirmed risks for hiv transmission are unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse.

If you're sexually active and have never had a full STI screen, perhaps you should have that done. It's what responsible sexually active adults do at least yearly. Some of the other much more easily transmitted STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the ONLY way to know for sure is to test. UNLIKE hiv, some of the other STIs can be transmitted through simple skin-to-skin contact.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline scaredts

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 08:25:32 AM »
thank you so much Ann.. i think ive been too paranoid, but i guess its better to be paranoid than careless right? ive always thought that the only anwer to my question is if i get tested. but im so honestly just have chickened out a couple of times, and needed to hear reassuring words. thank you again for your reply.

and yes i honestly have had multiple oral partners but just oral. i had the penis to ass humping with no penetration with 3 other guys but that was months before the tonsilitis/fever. and the only people who had penetrated me was an ex boyfriend of 2 years but i had an hiv test before migrating as part of the medical exam requirements and i had tested negative and another guy that i dated  just honestly once for a about 5mins but that was months after the strep/tonsilitis and fever. the sexual activity that i had posted on my first post, was the unprotected oral with ejaculation was the only risky activity that happened in the time frame of 10 weeks before my strep/tonsilitis and fever. i am absolutely not denying anything and telling you the whole truth as i want to hear honest opinions and wouldn't want to add more worries to myself and stress..
thanks so much miss anne.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 09:39:23 AM »
Scared, it seems you did have that one brief unprotected anal incident after you tested negative. If I understood that correctly, then it's a good idea to remove any doubts you have and get tested.

Hopefully you'll collect another negative result. And now you know what you need to do to protect your health in terms of HIV in the future.

Good luck with that.
Andy Velez

Offline scaredts

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 11:07:29 AM »
hi andy thanks for the reply..
that brief anal incident happened a year after i tested negative and about 2 months after the strep/tonsilitis/fever.. i only got tested for immigration medical requirements and not because of the strep/tonsilitis/fever..

when i had strep/tonsilitis/fever, i did not know that they appear as symptoms during sero conversion.. i only read about that after i attended a tg seminar and googled hiv symptoms.. that was what got me scared. the only high risk sexual activity that i had before the strep/tonsilitis/fever was the uncovered oral with a little ejaculation which happened 10/11 days before. i had penis(his) and anal (mine) touching with no penetration and uncovered 2 and a half months before the strep/tonsilitis/fever..
and this strep/tonsilitis/fever happened september 18 2010.. thats around a year and 5months now, during this period from sept.2010 to present, i didn't have any serious illness except for gastritis in nov.2010 (due to excessive crash dieting/diet pills/and yoyo dieting), cough and colds during winter season, dermatitis in june 2011 and feb 2012..
am i at high risk of hiv?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 11:13:37 AM »
Keep it simple. Instead of worrying and wondering, why not just get tested, collect what I expect will be a negative result and put the issue to rest. That's my suggestion. HIV is not something to guess about.
Andy Velez

Offline scaredts

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 11:28:45 AM »
thank you so much andy.. you are right. only a test will end my worries.. thanks for the reassurance.. God speed..

Thank you to ann as well.. and im wishing you guys all the best, and praying for good things for all of us..thanks!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 02:21:15 PM »
OK. Good luck with your test. Keep us posted.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.