HIV Prevention and Testing > Am I Infected?

inconlusive?

(1/3) > >>

scotslassie:
Hi folks Im new please be kind!

I had a few broken condoms last year with someone, so I waited about 18 weeks and trotted along for the test

I was called back 2 weeks after to test again, being told there was a problem with my test and I had to give another sample. I was told that it was a false positive, but that my viral load had comne back negative.

They then tested this sample using p24, viral load and antibody test- Which all came back negative

Now, considering this was 2 weeks after the inconclusive( which I dont know if an elisa , wb or both was inconclusive) was this enough time for it to come back negative andf be a definite negative?

Im thinking it is, and was told it was, but I amnt sure, some sites say to wait a month before retesting ?

cheers folks

scotslassie:
sorry to clarify

The first sample had shown an inconclusive result- the 2nd sample drawn 2 weeks later came back negative

Ann:
lassie,

The window period in the UK is twelve weeks. The last tests you had were at twenty weeks and so your negative result is absolutely conclusive. You are hiv negative.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together.

Please read through the condom and lube links in my signature line. Most condom failure is caused by incorrect use. Also, there are links on the left-hand side of both of those pages and one links to information on the female condom. You might want to try them out.

You are hiv negative, keep using condoms and you will stay that way.

Ann

scotslassie:
thank you very much Ann, this is what the local health advisor said and also THT helpline

I think the way I was dealt with on the day didnt help, I was told it was a techinical problem, then a false positive, then it was a weak reaction on a band of western blot, all of this made me think what do I believe?

But I thank you for responding, and hopefully Ill be able to stick this in my head and not forget it  :)

HIVworker:
One band on a Western blot isn't a false positive, it's actually just inconclusive. They could have helped out with better termanology. Bands on Western blots are not uncommon but the fact there is no viral load suggests that it was nothing to worry about at all...

R

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version