Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Nutrition & HIV

Calcium/Vitamin D

<< < (2/4) > >>

SANJUANDUDE:
I don't believe that vitamins or supplements can ever truly hurt you.

http://timehasshownme.com

newt:
Except when eg too much vitamin D supplementation leads to hypercalcemia (too much calcium in the blood) and perhaps in extreme cases to heart irregularities, kidney stones etc.

The body needs so much of each vitamin, there is no robust evidence more does serious good except in the very short term. If you eat proper and get out and about in daylight and have normal gastric function you will have enough of all vitamins without supplements. << smokers etc excepted

- matt

Ann:

--- Quote from: jamesd1967 on January 18, 2012, 01:57:33 PM ---I don't believe that vitamins or supplements can ever truly hurt you.

--- End quote ---

Regardless of whether or not you believe vitamins cannot hurt you, they can.

Some supplements can as well. For example, we pozzies should not take enchinacea.

BM:

--- Quote from: Ann on January 19, 2012, 10:08:56 AM ---... we pozzies should not take enchinacea.

--- End quote ---

Is that in general or just for those of us on meds?

madbrain:

--- Quote from: newt on January 18, 2012, 05:57:49 PM ---Except when eg too much vitamin D supplementation leads to hypercalcemia (too much calcium in the blood) and perhaps in extreme cases to heart irregularities, kidney stones etc.

--- End quote ---

It is very difficult to overdose on vitamin D. The doses involved are massive. Some reported cases involve supplements that have the wrong dosage labeled, ie. much more than what the label states, ie. 1000 times.
This risk can be avoided by taking USP verified supplements.

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/what-is-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-toxicity/#ref744
One person who OD'ed was taking 40000 IU per day, another 2000000 IU per day.

I have been taking 10,000 IU per day for over a yea, and I am still well within the normal range in my last vitamin D level test  in november.

--- Quote ---The body needs so much of each vitamin, there is no robust evidence more does serious good except in the very short term. If you eat proper and get out and about in daylight and have normal gastric function you will have enough of all vitamins without supplements. << smokers etc excepted

--- End quote ---

This may be true of some other vitamins, but it is simply not true about vitamin D. You cannot get enough vitamin D from food, period. In the winter, in most locations you simply cannot get enough from the sun either.

Unfortunately in today's society, vitamin D deficiency is the rule rather than the exception, whether you are a smoker, HIV positive, "etc (?)" or not.
See http://www.naturalnews.com/028357_vitamin_D_deficiency.html
In that study, 59 percent were deficient, including 25 percent that were extremely deficient.
Statistically, there is much more risk from not taking a vitamin D supplement than taking one.
You should take a vitamin D level test to find out how deficient you are.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version