Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Forum

AIDSmeds Forums Technical Problems: Report Them Here

<< < (26/41) > >>

Ann:
We seem to be having server problems. It's not just us, it's also the HepMag forums.

To try and fix it, yesterday our tech guy Andrej made some changes to the security settings - that's what was causing the "forbidden" error messages. He then undid the security changes and the server problems seem to be getting worse.

I know, it's frustrating. Hopefully it will be fixed ASAP.

In the meantime, feel free to post any problems here. It will help us understand the extent of the problem and may give us clues as to how to fix it.

I have to admit - this level of computer tinkering is beyond me. :(

mitch777:
Yesterday and today (about 5 minutes ago) I got to the POZ site OK but had to make several (about eight) attempts to get to the forums.
Not sure if this helps.

edited to add... when I typed the "numeral eight" above^ it first appears as the emoticon with the sunglasses on. weird.

TEST: 8 -numeral 8
TEST:  8) -  emoticon
TEST: 8) - numeral 8 with ) added afterward

(I think this is a separate issue)

Ann:

--- Quote from: mitch777 on June 29, 2013, 09:30:57 AM ---Yesterday and today (about 5 minutes ago) I got to the POZ site OK but had to make several (about 8) attempts to get to the forums.
Not sure if this helps.

--- End quote ---

The magazine site (poz.com) and the forums are on different servers. All of S&S's forums (from the various magazines in the tabs at the top of any forum page) are experiencing this problem.

leatherman:

--- Quote from: mitch777 on June 29, 2013, 09:30:57 AM ---edited to add... when I typed the "numeral eight" above^ it first appears as the emoticon with the sunglasses on. weird.

TEST: 8 -numeral 8
TEST:  8) -  emoticon
TEST: 8) - numeral 8 with ) added afterward

(I think this is a separate issue)

--- End quote ---
this is not a separate issue. It's how emoticons work  ;)

in the olden days (LOL) all we could do was type text on the web. Emoticons were born by combining a right or left parentheses or an "O" as the mouth on a face. Semi-colons, colons, the number 8, the letter B, etc were typed before the "mouth" to represent eyes. an 8 or B and a right parentheses typed together then represent sunglasses and a smile.

Because it's not the olden days anymore, when you type emoticon characters together, the software automagically changes it into a picture/image for that emoticon. Think of it like predictive text. ;)

: ( typed side-by-side (without the space between the characters) is translated to :(
8 ) typed side-by-side (without the space between the characters) is translated to 8)
 : - * typed side-by-side (without the space between the characters) is translated to :-*
(sometimes a dash "-" is added to the "face" of the emoticon representing the "nose")

you'll find you accidentally create emoticons sometimes when you don't mean to.  :o To correct the issue, just type in an extra space. For example to not have "8 )" be 8) ; type "8", then a space, then the ")"

keep an eye out in the reply text box when you're writing a post and adding in an emoticon. You will see the characters that are typed together to create each emoticon. ;) (FYI that winky emoticon is a semi-colon followed by a rt parentheses) Keep an eye out in the preview of your reply for accidental emoticons and just add a space between the characters to keep the software from creating the unwanted emoticon.

mitch777:
thanks Mikie!
silly me. ::)
lol!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version