POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 03:01:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 642924
  • Total Topics: 48914
  • Online Today: 252
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Timothy Brown in the NY Times  (Read 485 times)

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Timothy Brown in the NY Times
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 06:53:33 PM »
New Hope of a Cure
I know I read these articles about "cures" with a jaded eye because I understand how difficult it has been to get this far and how much futher the scientists have to go yet. Too often these reporters try to simplfy or confuse things to make a cure sound radically closer than it is. While I appreciate any press about the need for a cure, rather than talk about things that probably cannot be applied to the vast majority of HIV patients, can't they talk about the different obstacles, the need for funding and research, and why a cure benefits everyone.

So I thought this was a pretty inappropriate title for the piece. One patient has had his immune system replaced, another went a whole whopping ::) 12 weeks before going back onto meds (while it didn't work for 5 other people. besides I've known several people who have been off meds for 6 months (myself) to several years before they "had" to get back on them, so I don't see what the big deal here is), and another kind of treatment that could over-stimulate your immune system and cause who-knows-what damage if it runs amok in your body.

One man, the so-called Berlin patient, apparently has cleared his H.I.V. infection, albeit by arduous bone marrow transplants... But bone marrow transplants are grueling, risky and expensive. Moreover, it is hard enough to find an immunologically matching donor, let alone one with mutations in both copies of the CCR5 gene.
thank goodness they used the word "cleared" not "cured". I still say a better word is "eradicated" because the radiation, chemo and transplants cleared out his whole immune system and gave him someone else's.
At 12 weeks, you can’t say that this therapy works and the patient is controlling it by himself,” said Dr. Jeffrey Laurence, director of the AIDS research laboratory at Weill Cornell Medical College....The gene therapy did not work so well for five other patients,... And the Trenton patient, who is back on antiviral drugs,...
Vorinostat might activate not only the virus, but also genes that are supposed to remain silenced, causing side effects. Activating too many resting memory T-cells could lead to a dangerous immune system overreaction.
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Online buginme2

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 07:04:31 PM »
Leatherman I don't get the criticism.

The article was quite responsible in discussing were the science is at this particular moment. (And the podcast was even better)

The fact that Tim Brown cleared (cured, eradicated, potato potato) his virus is rather remarkable even if it was from a series of events that no one would want to replicate.

The patient who started treatment back at 12 weeks didnt do so because he had to, he did so because the study period was over and per the rules of the study he restarted his medication.  When he initially stopped taking his meds his viral load shot up, then returned to undetectable, while not on any medication, again remarkable.

As far as the title, "Hope for a cure" I'm not sure I see that it is a problem.  No where did the article promise a cure, or give a time frame or anything else.  It talked about the state of science.  I dont see the problem with that.

As far as trying to get the word out for more research..things like this article are doing exactly that.  The NIH recently gave a $70 million grant for cure research based in large part on what happened to one person, Tim Brown. 

Isn't that what we want?

Offline Cliff

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 02:13:36 AM »
The article seemed fine (and fairly balanced) to me.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.