POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 08:42:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 650049
  • Total Topics: 49619
  • Online Today: 177
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Transit through UAE with HIV medications  (Read 2752 times)

Offline Sverik

Transit through UAE with HIV medications
« on: November 23, 2011, 04:03:43 AM »
Hi there,

I've been trying to figure out if it is possible to travel through Dubai (UAE) with HIV medication in hand luggage.
I am planning a trip to SE Asia from Europe and the cheapest alternative is with Emirates through Dubai. The trip would see us stop at Dubai airport for about 8 hours. I have tried e-mailing UAE embassies about the possibility to carry HIV medications in hand luggage but unfortunately got no answer. I understand that normally entrance with HIV drugs is not possible but since it's only transit I'm not sure whether to go with this option or not!?

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks
Sven

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Transit through UAE with HIV medications
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 11:52:44 AM »
Hi Sven. It shouldn't be a problem. My bf has had layovers in Dubai twice since being on meds and both times he had them in his carry-on and never had a problem. As you are only there on layover, there'd be no point in going through all the deportation paperwork as you are not stopping there to visit the country, you're just passing through and have the airline ticket to prove it.

This has also been discussed in this thread. Happy travels! :)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Sverik

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 06:42:52 AM »
Ann, thanks a lot. It's very reassuring to hear that.
Did your boyfriend declare the meds or they just did not pay any attention to his carry-ons ie. drugs at all?

We are planning a trip to SE Asia and I would carry at least a 3-4 days worth of meds in my carry-on just in case the checked-in luggage gets lost (hopefully not !). So my question is, what happens if they find the drugs container. I plan to take a letter from my doctor, so I suppose that should be OK.

Thanks again.
Sven

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 09:05:29 AM »
Ann, thanks a lot. It's very reassuring to hear that.
Did your boyfriend declare the meds or they just did not pay any attention to his carry-ons ie. drugs at all?

We are planning a trip to SE Asia and I would carry at least a 3-4 days worth of meds in my carry-on just in case the checked-in luggage gets lost (hopefully not !). So my question is, what happens if they find the drugs container. I plan to take a letter from my doctor, so I suppose that should be OK.

Thanks again.
Sven

8hrs layover...stay in the transit area (is a brand new terminal but terrible) and don't exit due to the extra security and customs checks. Get that letter from your doc and possibly a medicine passport, and hope for the best.
By the way; NEVER EVER put your medicine in your checked luggage (unless you're homeward bound). Just think of the nightmare you'll have getting new medicines in SE Asia if/when your luggage gets lost.   DON'T !!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 01:09:56 PM »

He didn't declare them, and he kept them in their original containers. He didn't have any stowed luggage, so his whole supply was in his carry-on. He usually takes at least a week or two extra with him when he travels - he learned the hard way when bad weather left him stranded for over a week, without extra meds, in the northernmost tip of Scotland. Not a good place to run out of hiv meds!

Lots of people travel with meds or vitamins in their carry-on bags and if they were to inspect each and every person carrying, they'd never clear their lines. They'd only look if you have bottles and bottles full of pills, or put them in a place where you're obviously trying to conceal them. (Like a false bottom in your case) ;D

Grasshopper's suggestion of having a doctor's letter is a good idea any time you are travelling with meds. The letter doesn't have to name the condition being treated, they only have to name the meds and say that the patient (you) needs them. I used to have a doctor's letter with me when I was flying from Liverpool to the Rock with a month's supply of interferon and the associated syringes in my carry-on, but I never needed it. It was good to have it though, as this was not long after 9/11 when carry-on restrictions were pretty strict.

It's a good idea to make sure you don't have any other things in your bag that could be considered contraband - like liquids over the allowed amount or anything sharp. If you don't have any thing like that in your bag that shows up on the x-ray screening machines, they're not going to bother looking in your bag.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline elf

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 03:01:24 PM »
I don't know. If I were to get this ''Doctor's letter'', a simple ''Infectologist'' label  on his rubber stamp might be enough to raise a suspition, even tho' there would be no diagnosis written on the letter.  ???

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 03:47:29 PM »
Conceal them under your niquab.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 07:06:48 PM »
I don't know. If I were to get this ''Doctor's letter'', a simple ''Infectologist'' label  on his rubber stamp might be enough to raise a suspition, even tho' there would be no diagnosis written on the letter.  ???

As if your doctor is going to use a rubber stamp with something like "infectologist" on it for your paperwork, after you've just explained that you're trying to get your hiv meds through airport security with minimal notice, fuss or calling attention to your hiv status. ::)

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.