Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Nutrition & HIV

Co-Q10

(1/5) > >>

justin:
Hi all,

I don't post often but wanted to pass this on.

My wife & I had read about Co-Q10 possibly helping to raise CD-4 levels.

Since I take it daily for years for heart health ( I am neg)
She started taking it a few months back about 6 months + now

Anyway I know none can say for sure it it the reason but
her recent 6 month test shows CD4 went from 600 range to near 900

For the last 3 years she is always 617-670

Now she is 891 CD4 count

Again I cannot claim it is 100% due to the Co-Q10 but that is the only
thing that she has changed in these last 6 months.

Could be a coincidence but I will post again in 6 months.

We take the inexpensive Co-Q10 they sell at Walmart
Spring Valley brand 100mg a day

Costs about $27 dollars for two 60 count softgel bottles.
So 120 soft gels for $27

Sorry if I do not reply as we leave for Asia in a few days & I do
not usually check the forum.

Take Care & Happy Holidays

PS: Mods sorry of this might be the wrong sub forum?
Please feel free to move if so.
Thanks

Ann:

--- Quote from: justin on November 22, 2011, 08:13:51 PM ---
PS: Mods sorry of this might be the wrong sub forum?
Please feel free to move if so.
Thanks

--- End quote ---

Justin, normally I would leave your thread in the Someone I Care About forum (because you are hiv negative but writing about something to do with your positive wife) but I've moved it to the Nutrition forum because people looking for information on supplements would look there.

Ann

buginme2:

--- Quote from: justin on November 22, 2011, 08:13:51 PM ---
My wife & I had read about Co-Q10 possibly helping to raise CD-4 levels.

--- End quote ---

Can you post the artice?  I have searched online and cannot find anything that discusses CoQ10 raising cd4 counts.

sam66:

Thanks for the post,  seems like an interesting substance, I will have to do more research on it,

I found this article on The Body    http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Nutrition/Q151165.html

from way back in 2003

" Brad S. Lichtenstein, N.D. wrote a great article on mitochondrial toxicity that included excellent information about Coenzyme Q-10 (go to www.thebody.com/step/stepix.html)

CoQ10 is an essential factor in the electron transport chain, the pathway from which ATP and metabolic energy is derived, which occurs within the mitochondria. CoQ10 is a strong antioxidant that resides in the lipid membrane surrounding the mitochondria and protects it against free radical damage. Although the body can generate its own CoQ10, supplementation has been shown to be warranted in persons with HIV. CoQ10 is synthesized in the cells of every living organism in nature. The body produces CoQ10 in a 17-step process that requires riboflavin (B2), niacinamide (B3), pantothenic acid (B5), pyridoxine (B6), cobalamine (B12), folic acid, vitamin C, and other trace minerals. Due to its complex and intricate requirements, nutritional deficiencies with any one of these vitamins can disrupt mitochondrial energy production. Generally, symptoms of CoQ10 deficiency affect cardiovascular health in the form of congestive heart failure, stroke, arrhythmias, high blood pressure, mitral valve prolapse, and cardiomyopathy. Additionally, lack of energy, gingivitis, and overall weakened immunity are symptoms of CoQ10 deficiency.

Many medications directly deplete the body of CoQ10. While antiretrovirals have not been studied for their effect on CoQ10 levels, both antiretrovirals and antibiotics, such as Bactrim and Dapson, deplete the body of the B-vitamin family. Other medications, specifically cholesterol-lowering medications, anti-hypertensive medications like beta-blockers, and some tricyclic antidepressants like amitriptyline (at times used for treatment of neuropathy) all directly deplete the body of CoQ10, and thereby negatively impact the mitochondria. Studies of HIV-positive individuals who are either on antiretroviral medications or are drug naive reveal CoQ10 deficiencies.

Supplementation with CoQ10 has shown decreased incidence of opportunistic infections and improved immune parameters, measured by a reduction in symptoms such as night sweats, fever, diarrhea, weight loss, and lymphadenopathy.

Again, no RDA has been established for CoQ10; yet, current recommendations range from 30 to 120 mg per day, depending upon the severity of symptoms and health status. No side effects have been reported for CoQ10.

Riboflavin or B2, is a water-soluble vitamin, that, like other B vitamins, is not stored well in the body so must be ingested daily. Riboflavin belongs to a category of yellow colored pigments called flavins (the reason urine changes color when taking B vitamin supplements). When riboflavin interacts with phosphoric acid it becomes a part of two essential enzymes. These enzymes are necessary for the conversion of carbohydrates to energy in the form of ATP within the mitochondria of the cell. Furthermore, deficiencies in riboflavin will exacerbate CoQ10 deficiencies. For these reasons, riboflavin supplementation has been considered in the treatment of mitochondrial damage. Many medications, such as antiretrovirals, antibiotics, oral contraceptives, and the tricyclic antidepressant noritriptiyline result in direct riboflavin deficiencies."

justin:
Hi folks,

Sorry for the slow reply as we have been in Asia

Ann....no problem & I think this is a good place for the topic. I was not sure when I posted.

buginme2 sorry I do not have the article nor recall where I found it.
The reason I remembered & had my wife try it is for years I took CoQ10
when I was a triathlete. Back then I had read many benefits so used it & at the time
felt it did in fact aid in my recovery after hard workouts. I also as I said continued to take it for the heart benefits it claims in many articles.

Sam66...Thanks for the read...Very interesting & as a side not my wife tales 100mg a day

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version