Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Forum

Nutrition, Wumpette Style

<< < (646/874) > >>

BT65:
Saw the story on the news about the fake beef.  I just don't think I would be able to get by the fact that it is made in a lab.  Nothing I would want to try, much less ingest on a regular basis.

Jeff G:

--- Quote from: BT65 on August 06, 2013, 04:41:42 AM ---Saw the story on the news about the fake beef.  I just don't think I would be able to get by the fact that it is made in a lab.  Nothing I would want to try, much less ingest on a regular basis.

--- End quote ---

I was thinking the same but then I realized 100 years ago people probably would have been freaked out by a box of cake mix . I used to do some work at the NutraSweet plant and the kitchens were all beakers and test tubes with vats of chemicals for ingredients . The people that worked in the test kitchens were in white lab coats and wearing safety goggles , they were chemist , not chefs .   

Many of our food products are manufactured in bizarre ways , we simply don't know or dwell on it . I bet in a 100 years from now you will be ordering a double  ;) .   

mecch:
Aspartame hasn't been a wonderful addition to the grocery cart. Margarine was a disaster.  Maybe "many people" don't think about bizarrely produced "food" but that doesn't make it OK.  The trend is increasing consumer knowledge about frankenfoods...   You're probably correct, that there will always be a market for this crap but the healthy and eco friendly way forward is to shrink that market, and not end up in the land of Soylent Green and some "World of Tomorrow" instant meal nightmare.

Jeff G:

--- Quote from: mecch on August 06, 2013, 09:23:35 AM ---Aspartame hasn't been a wonderful addition to the grocery cart. Margarine was a disaster.  Maybe "many people" don't think about bizarrely produced "food" but that doesn't make it OK.  The trend is increasing consumer knowledge about frankenfoods...   You're probably correct, that there will always be a market for this crap but the healthy and eco friendly way forward is to shrink that market, and not end up in the land of Soylent Green and some "World of Tomorrow" instant meal nightmare.

--- End quote ---

I'm not saying its a good or bad thing , I'm simply saying that we already consume a lot of unappealing crap that we do not think much about from day to day .   

I also do not think that all lab created food products are bad and that in reality these kinds of foods are here to stay . 

bmancanfly:
Many many years ago when I was working in a supermarket,  myself and some of my coworkers were in the stock room secretly eating ice cream sandwiches (the kind with two chocolate cookies on the outside and vanilla ice cream in the middle).   I can't remember the name brand.

A manager suddenly came in so we all flung them away so we would not get caught,  and he was none the wiser.

Several weeks later while reorganizing the stock room I came across the half eaten ice cream sandwiches and much to my amazement they were not only not moldy,  but they hadn't even completely melted (in a room temperature stock room).

I can't imagine the chemical engineering necessary to create a "food" that could do that.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version