POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 02:34:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 640647
  • Total Topics: 48663
  • Online Today: 181
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 133
Total: 137

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bill Maher Defending Christianity?  (Read 439 times)

Offline tednlou2

Bill Maher Defending Christianity?
« on: September 11, 2014, 08:13:04 PM »
Religion is a hot button topic, so many usually avoid it.  Last night, President Obama said no religion condones what ISIS is doing.  That immediately stuck out to me.  That was pandering.  First and as Bill points out, Saudi Arabia beheads people for things like being gay.  But, they have oil.  God killed a few million people-- a flood which killed many innocent babies and people and then on a bet with the devil.  But, I agree with Bill.  Islam is different.  Just one example of what he discusses-- I am an atheist.  My family and neighbors don't believe death is the appropriate punishment for that.  Seth MacFarland hasn't been killed for jokes and cartoons of Jesus. 

Anyway, I always like how he doesn't do all the PC bullshit.  Just curious your thoughts.  Do you agree with him?  Bill is not saying every Muslim is a terrorist.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2014/09/10/maher_vs_charlie_rose_to_claim_islam_is_like_other_religions_is_naive_and_plain_wrong.html#.VBIjp6sK4jk.facebook

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
Re: Bill Maher Defending Christianity?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 10:03:13 AM »
Religions are not all the same. Some people console themselves with the thought that all religions at their core are similar and all are worthy of respect. I disagree because I believe that actions are more important than intentions, that human needs come before the needs of any god and that science and reason improves the human condition more than dogma. Some religions improve the lives of humans more than others. A religion that advocates stoning people, killing people who are different or oppressing women is wrong and not worthy of respect. If someone says "that's not what true Muslims believe" then why are these people who call themselves Muslims behaving this way and using dogma to justify their actions?

Offline buginme2

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 11:02:12 AM »
Our political correctness in not calling out a religion for being bullshit has got to stop.  You'd think beheading innocent people in the name of religion would be the time but...apparently not (except for bill of course). 

The problem is if you call out one religion as being bullshit then you kinda have to call them all out since well. They all are bullshit.

However, the last thing we need is some religious war.

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 12:10:22 PM »
I've lost my faith in organized religion.. as far as I'm concerned it's just a vehicle that's used to control and/or motivate the masses.. I like the way George Carlin sums it up..

“Religion has convinced people that there's an invisible man ... living in the sky. Who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn't want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer, and suffer, and burn, and scream, until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you. He loves you and he needs money.”

I'd just add, "And he needs you to kill yourself and take as many enemies with you as possible".. For the record, I'm not sure if there's a god b/c I haven't met him yet and if there is, he/she is soooo misunderstood.

Organized religion sucks!

Offline wolfter

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 01:15:24 PM »
This could get as heated at disclosure and prosecution threads.  ;)

We agnostics believe that all religions are BS.  And no, we're not aligned with atheists at all. 

All people should be able to enjoy their beliefs but it should NEVER have consequences for others.  I certainly couldn't feel justified in beheading all those southern baptist hypocrites.
Complacency is the enemy.  ;)  Challenge yourself daily for maximum  return on investment.

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 12:20:29 AM »
I don't follow comedians on serious subjects. Half the time their after popularity.

I did read about Muhammad tonight. Muhammad led a holy war around 623 AD before the Christians led their crusades against the Muslims to regain the holy lands centuries later.

Muslims have been around and involved in holy wars for a long time.

As long as Muslims leave me alone I don't care. I don't even want to know them.

They have decades before many people in the US accepts Muslims. Still they may have serious problems.

Offline ChavinKnight

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 01:06:14 PM »
The problem is utterly inept spiritual leadership.  Religion is tainted by human egotistical striving.  That does not change the reality of the Creator, the Universal Mind, the Source, or whatever else you choose to call it.  I think that most people know right from wrong.  Hate, bigotry, denying people equal rights, destruction of the environment, violence in any form....the list goes on.  People know in their hearts that these things are wrong.  There is choice in all things, however.   Fundamentally, nothing is inseparable, and spirit pervades everything.  The failure to understand this and see the material world as all that there is can only lead to the problems that we see throughout the world today.  I don't want to sound negative; I try to be kind and respectful at all times, but I admit that I fail, for I am a fallible human being.  The path that humanity is taking is collective suicide.  People think that this will all go on as it has been are deluded.  It just isn't; it is a physical impossibility.  I think that, fundamentally, organized religion still puts the self above one's fellow human beings, the Earth, and other life on this planet.  Or at least people think that they are above all else.  Spirituality is about living in the best way possible and continued evolution as a conscious being.  Religion is about being a sheep and living in a box out of fear, and justifying all sorts bad behavior that is in no way in alignment with the Creation.  People need to wake up.  Just my two cents.  :)
No pharmaceutical treatment for ~ 9 years; VL never above 450, half the time undetectable, cd4 >= 622
November 2013--Began treatment with Stribild; VL 120, cd4 585
December 2013--VL undetectable, cd4 = 722 (32.8%)
March 2014--VL undetectable, cd4 = 695 (30.2%)
June 2014--VL undetectable, cd4 = 602 (33.7%)

Offline tednlou2

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.