Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:26:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 198
Total: 200

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New policy for our newspaper.  (Read 3286 times)

Offline wolfter

New policy for our newspaper.
« on: November 17, 2011, 09:57:07 am »
Just wondering some of your opinions about what's happening with our regional newspaper that I've had a long relationship with.  I'm a featured columnist, opinion shaper and a featured blogger.  I've previously served as a moderator but I didn't accomplish all I did academically to be a glorified babysitter.  Our disputes here pale in comparison to that site.

2 days ago, they implemented a policy that required all comments be linked to a valid FB account.  If a person posts a comment about a specific article, a hyperlink appears that will take you directly to their FB wall.  Some of these discussions get heated and I'm a little fearful for those who oppose someone else's views.  On one hand I understand the reasoning, but it also feels like an invasion.  I have no issue using my real name and city but I don't feel it's in the best interest of the readers and those who interact with the site.  I've asked my mother, (who is frequently outspoken  :o) not to post until I determine the safety of doing so. 

My gut reaction is that this is bad policy and I'm reluctant to be further involved with their organization.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Basquo

Re: New policy for our newspaper.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 10:06:59 am »
Bad news, my friend. I understand having some sort of registration proces in order to leave comments, but requiring a FB account? That's asking for trouble. I stopped playing the Miller Lite sweepstakes this summer because it was using FB to tell my mom that me and Santi just finished off another case!

I imagine the level of participation will be down for the online portion of that publication.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 10:28:29 am »
That's nuts!  What a bad idea!  

This is for the online version of the paper, correct?

Online papers can and probably should ask people to register an email (that is kept private) before a person can post comments.  That is about enough, don't you think.

"A concerned citizen" -- anonymous -- has always been enough to sign a letter to the editor.  Its the editors job to keep hate speech off, and what not.

About two years ago, YouTube kept asking me to sign on, and the sign on process insisted a link to FACEBOOK.   Some blogs I read asked for facebook links.   This is atrocious.   Lately I noticed YouTube seems to have European versions/servers whatnot (I am not technical) and now this forced facebook link has disappeared.  

In fact yesterday I went into my facebook account and deleted all the links I could to other blogs, services, etc, that I use.

Hey to each his own, but I would like more and more people to resist this general convergence of Internet tracing.  And Facebooks in particular.  

There is a lot of debate about these themes - sometimes around the question of "Universal Internet ID".   Should there be one, who should manage it, when should it be required and when not.. The advantages and disadvantages

Its not a topic I know much about.  But surely giving this power to Facebook as the defacto ID guardian is a bad idea.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 10:32:28 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline wolfter

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 10:47:14 am »
This is the online version of the newspaper.  Just from a couple of responses, I'm gathering my initial response was correct.  All readers who chose to comment, always had to register.  The majority even chose to to post a true avatar picture.  Since I always have my photo posted in the print edition, it wasn't a stretch for me personally.

This global universal connectivity will become the next issue we're bound to see and have to deal with.  Who will the holder of the key be? 

Wolfie

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 02:23:29 pm »
I don't like this trend of a Facebook account being a requirement to access internet content. Spotify now requires you to have a Facebook account. I don't see why a local newpaper should be in bed with Facebook.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 05:33:36 pm »
That is not a reasonable request, Wolf. I am not sure that it is even legal although even if it is, that doesn't make it a good idea.

If the idea is to have some protection against cuckoo writers, there are other ways to accomplish that goal.

I suggest you contact Lambda Legal or American Civil Liberties Union and get a professional opinion about it. I'm sure that you are not the only person who objects to this really dumb idea.

Keep us posted. This one is worth objecting to.

Andy Velez

Offline buginme2

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 07:08:38 pm »
This isnt new and will we will prob see more in the future.  I read an interview awhile back with the editor of the Seattle Times regarding how they intend to "police" the comments section of online articles.  The editor stated it was an ongoing discussion and some ideas were to require people register using a credit card (to verify who they are), requiring accounts such as facebook, or removing public comments altogether.

People do get a bit nuts when it comes to posting things.  Its possible that if someone post something threatening, and the paper doesnt take action, the paper could be responsible if something happens.  The interview I read the paper was concerned because they simply didnt have the staff to continually monitor public comments.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 01:16:13 am »
Yeah, I don't like the idea.  I wanted to leave a review on the website of the cabin rental company we recently used, but they required the FB thing.  I thought about creating a fake FB account in order to leave a comment.  When you write a letter to the editor, they print your name and zip code.  I think some nut could hunt ya down, but I guess that seems a tad paranoid? 

Offline mecch

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 03:58:22 am »
I do see the point about not being able to afford to monitor continuously open comment threads.  But online newspapers don't need to open comments on every article.

And letters to the editor pages have always been sorted, selected.

I see the point about legal liability.  But somehow we muddled through to now.

Even if there were a neutral national ID, as being discussed, I don't see how that ID must be required by a newspaper, or in some kinds of discussion forums whether they be virtual or real.  

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline wolfter

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 09:27:56 am »
I'm attempting to use my persuasion to get this policy reversed.  I'm fortunate to have direct access to the editor and I spoke with him this morning.  He reluctantly admitted there are some safety issues that were not considered and that reader comments have nose dived.  This directly affects advertising revenue which is something I never even considered.  I gather those comments are used to determine the readership.

It was also pointed out to me that we have the ability to change our security setting on FB, but that isn't the issue I'm concerned about.  I already have full disclosure on that site, but I'm sure there are people who will mistakenly allow idiots access to their most private information. 

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 10:49:28 am »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline mecch

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 11:37:59 am »
Thats funny.

Luckily, Facebook feels a bit better this year than two years ago.  Less ridiculous, obsessive, narcissistic, useless, exhibitionist, irritating posting.  

Actually getting nice tidbits here and there about people who used to be so close and important, but are now long and far away in distance, time,  life.

I got a super sweet message the other day out of the blue from a girl I was friends with in elementary school. It made both our days.  Cut through every little annoyance of what was happening in my day, this week, 2011, and put life in much great perspective.

Everybody seems to have gotten a grip on its advantages and disadvantages and also just the kind of "contact" it offers and Facebook seems more chilled out.

The corporation, of course, not so much.  Behemouth scarey disrespectful monster squid with too many greedy tentacles....
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 11:41:13 am by mecch »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.