POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 11:56:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 640731
  • Total Topics: 48670
  • Online Today: 241
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 167
Total: 169

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Increase co-pay of HIV Meds - Anthem Blue Cross  (Read 3638 times)

Offline vmarchesin

Increase co-pay of HIV Meds - Anthem Blue Cross
« on: November 15, 2011, 05:13:07 PM »
I was wondering if anyone may experiencing the same issue I am facing with Anthem Blue Cross in Northern California. I went to refill my medication and all of a sudden my copay for Truvada, Reyataz and Norvir increased from $25 (each/30 day supply) to $150 per medication. I called member services and they stated that this is part of the standard agreement that my employer has with Anthem Blue Cross on the new 4-tier medication plan. According the our HR director no changes have been made to our plans but Anthem Blue Cross states that under the new plan the Pharmacy board has moved all these meds from Tier 2 (brand name $25 copay) to tier 4 (speciality copay - 20 % of the price with a min of $150 copay). It appears to me that the Pharmacy Board of Anthem Blue Cross (I live in California) has decided to increase and move these meds to a higher copay arbitrarily. is there anything that could be done. Could someone let me know if I decide to shop for individual health insurance (for example Kaiser where I used to be a member before switching job), HIV would be a pre-existing condition and I would be denied coverage? Many thanks for your help

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
Re: Increase co-pay of HIV Meds - Anthem Blue Cross
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 08:59:54 PM »
I was wondering if anyone may experiencing the same issue I am facing with Anthem Blue Cross in Northern California. I went to refill my medication and all of a sudden my copay for Truvada, Reyataz and Norvir increased from $25 (each/30 day supply) to $150 per medication. I called member services and they stated that this is part of the standard agreement that my employer has with Anthem Blue Cross on the new 4-tier medication plan. According the our HR director no changes have been made to our plans but Anthem Blue Cross states that under the new plan the Pharmacy board has moved all these meds from Tier 2 (brand name $25 copay) to tier 4 (speciality copay - 20 % of the price with a min of $150 copay). It appears to me that the Pharmacy Board of Anthem Blue Cross (I live in California) has decided to increase and move these meds to a higher copay arbitrarily. is there anything that could be done. Could someone let me know if I decide to shop for individual health insurance (for example Kaiser where I used to be a member before switching job), HIV would be a pre-existing condition and I would be denied coverage? Many thanks for your help

Yes, HIV would be a pre-existing condition unfortunately. You won't be able to get individual insurance.

If you qualify based on income, you can get California ADAP, and it will pay over your copay for HIV meds (regardless of whether they are $25 or $150). It is allowed to combine Califofrnia ADAP and medical insurance as long you meet the income limits.

Did Anthem just change the tier for these medications halfway through the year ? That sounds strange.
I would review the benefits information from your employer. See if they describe the different medication tiers, and the different prices for each tier. There should be a list of drugs, and which tiers they belong to.
I don't think they are allowed to change this mid-year.

If I were you and I didn't get a satisfactory answer, I would write my congressman, senator, newspaper, and anybody else who listens. Anthem has been particularly egregious with their rate increases and benefit cuts in California.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.