POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 07:29:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 636486
  • Total Topics: 48310
  • Online Today: 258
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ and AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: June 30, 2011 - condom slippage | having symptoms  (Read 2805 times)

Offline crazymike_au

June 30, 2011 - condom slippage | having symptoms
« on: November 12, 2011, 10:13:40 AM »
Hi,

I am a 36 years old heterosexual male living in Australia. I have a wife and 2 kids. My wife is negative for HIV. My story goes like this. I have an encounter with a CSW on June 30, 2011. She initially gave me a blow job(unprotected, recepient). She soaked my penis with her saliva. At that time, I already began to felt a burning sensation in my penis. Then we had vaginal intercourse. She was on top. I had worn a condom, but it slipped during the act. I know it slipped because the condom was inside her when I pulled her out (after I had orgasm).

After that incident, I was still having unprotected vaginal intercourse with my wife.

Starting on October (3 months after exposure), I started to have symptoms like fever, dry skin, rash, tingling sensation in the arms and feet, fatigued and a headache. I went to a STD clinic on October 11, 2011 for a blood test and culture extraction on my penis. The doctor gave me an antibiotic for I believe Chlamydia as the doctor suspected that burning/discomfort that I felt on my penis was caused by Chlamydia.
Results went out after a week and all was negative for Syphillis, Chlamydia, Hep, and HIV (antibody test only).
But symptoms still persist until now (November) although some of the symptoms subsided but the headache and low fevers still comes. What freaked my out is that my wife started to have the same symptoms.

My questions are
1) Is still possible that I am infected with HIV (longer window period)? I had DVT before, can this affect HIV testing as my blood tends to clot easily?
2) I know its lower risk for female to male transmission and I have 1 exposure only to the CSW. But since I was having unprotected vaginal sex with my wife, I could have been exposed to HIV several times by passing the virus between us during the window period?

Thanks a lot!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: June 30, 2011 - condom slippage | having symptoms
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 10:36:33 AM »
Mike,

1. No. The window period for hiv testing is three months and DVT will not change that. You do NOT have hiv. The only people who might take a little longer than three months to seroconvert and test positive are those who are on chemotherapy for cancer, on anti-rejection drugs following organ transplant, or those people who have been injecting street drugs every day for years. Even these people will normally test positive by three months.

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six WEEKS, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. A six week negative must be confirmed at the three month point, but is highly unlikely to change.

You are conclusively hiv negative.

2. No. You do not have hiv. Even if you did, it just doesn't work like that.

Whatever is going on with you and/or your wife has nothing to do with hiv - you do not have hiv. Keep working with your doctor to find out what's wrong. Whatever it is, you do NOT have hiv. You are conclusively hiv negative and do not need further testing over the incident with the sex worker.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline crazymike_au

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 11:56:18 AM »
Thanks Anne. Sorry for the late reply. I want to get tested again (for peace of mind) using rapid test but i think there is nothing available over the counter here in AU. I was trying to search for other STDs aside from HIV that have similar symptoms to what i have. Doctors i had visited seemed to find no problem.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 02:44:16 PM »
I don't see cause for further concern about HIV.

Post-straying guilt seems to me to be the issue here. You did what you did and can't change that. Let it go and get on with your life. That's best for all concerned.
Andy Velez

Offline crazymike_au

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 04:26:57 AM »
I have some more questions:

1. Is it possible that a person(female) with HIV with coinfection like herpes or hepatitis pass the coinfection virus only (but nov HIV) thru vaginal sex?

2. Is it true that a person will seroconvert(test positive) only after the ARS symptoms subside? but if the ARS symptoms is still occuring, the person will be tested HIV negative?

To Ann,
I could not PM you, can you tell me (or give me a link of your specific story in your blog) how your ex-bf acquired HIV and eventually pass the virus to you?

Thanks a lot!   

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 06:49:55 AM »
Mike,

1. I'm not totally sure what you're asking here, but I'll take a stab at it.

A woman who is coinfected with herpes and hiv can transmit herpes without transmitting hiv.

A woman who is coinfected with hepatitis and hiv can transmit hepatitis without transmitting hiv. Hepatitis C is rarely sexually transmitted.

Please keep in mind that herpes is transmitted through skin-to-skin contact and condoms do not always cover the herpes lesion and therefore do not always protect against herpes infection.

2. A person may test positive while still experiencing seroconversion symptoms. The symptoms that some people experience (not everyone has symptoms) are caused by the process the body goes through while producing antibodies. They are not caused by the virus itself.

Let me remind you that you are conclusively hiv negative. YOU DO NOT HAVE HIV!!!

You are not supposed to use your PM privilege to contact members about hiv transmission or testing questions and if you read the Welcome thread like you're supposed to, you'd know this.

My bf became infected with hiv the way most people do - he had unprotected intercourse with someone (a woman) he assumed to be hiv negative. That's how it happens. He passed his virus on to me because I assumed he was hiv negative (and so did he) and we didn't use condoms. Yep, that's how it goes. That's why this virus keeps spreading - people assume their sexual partners are hiv negative and therefore fail to protect themselves.

You should understand that I also had a relationship with a negative man and we only found out about my hiv a year and a half into the relationship. Despite our not using condoms, he remained hiv negative. We used condoms after my diagnosis, but not before. We were together for a total of just over eight years and he remained hiv negative.

Learn from the mistakes of those of us who learned the hard way. Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!!!

Ann
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 06:54:53 AM by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline crazymike_au

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 03:19:48 AM »
Hi again,

My wife would like to get HIV tested via HIV Home test kit.
We are living in Australia.

1) Can someone recommend a good link to order the home test kit that can be delivered in Australia?

2) Should I choose the Oral(Saliva) or the finger prick type?

Thanks!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 03:21:24 AM »
Hi again,

My wife would like to get HIV tested via HIV Home test kit.
We are living in Australia.

1) Can someone recommend a good link to order the home test kit that can be delivered in Australia?

2) Should I choose the Oral(Saliva) or the finger prick type?

Thanks!
Why? You don't have an HIV concern.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 06:07:57 AM »
Mike,

As far as I am aware, home testing is not permitted in Australia. Most states in Australia have laws in place that require pre and post test counselling and that the tests be administered in a face-to-face setting. Testing in Australia is private and confidential under law.

The only home test kit that is approved anywhere is the Home Access test and I do not believe it is available in Australia for the reasons mentioned above.

Most home test kits available on the internet are ones you interpret yourself. They are not approved because they have a VERY high rate of false positive results. That's the last thing you need. (Home Access kits are not self-interpreted - you send it in and they do the interpreting, then you ring them to get the result.)

If your wife has never been tested for hiv then yes, she should go ahead and test. Everyone should accurately know their hiv status and hiv testing should be a matter of routine instead of being a big, scary, special deal. Your wife needs to understand that she can be tested at a clinic or your own doctor and the results will be confidential. She should NOT get a self-interpret, home test off the internet. They're not worth it.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.