POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 04:41:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 24261
  • Latest: Ibre
Stats
  • Total Posts: 650024
  • Total Topics: 49616
  • Online Today: 159
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ and AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: HIV infection, scared out of my mind  (Read 3945 times)

Offline goingcrazy4

• Standard
HIV infection, scared out of my mind
« on: November 09, 2011, 05:37:26 PM »

Here is my story:
The first encounter was around 20 august which involved in me giving him (i am a female) unprotected oral sex, and then we had protected sex.
Second encounter (with a different person) was around the 10 of September which involved in him giving me unprotected oral sex and then we had sex twice with protection. I had also shaved right before this act, which might have left open wounds and cuts on the vaginal area.. this puts me at higher risk right?
On both occasions i was quite heavily intoxicated, and i dont remember if the condom might have broken etc.. also on the second encounter i cant tell for sure if we used condoms both times, although the guy assures we did. Right after sex with this guy i started freaking out about HIv and pregnancy, but i didnt get pregnant, and all i thought about was HIV.

I started developing symptoms around the 30th of September (6 weeks after first exposure and 3 weeks after second).. (possibly earlier) which started with blurred visions for things in the distance (still going on till now) and eyes were sensitive to light, and  then extreme fatigue, malaise and nausea, the nausea was so bad i thought i was goin to faint everyday nothing like i have felt before, around the 1st of october i started developing a sore throat and cough (going on till now at 6 weeks), and it kept getting worse. the nausea and fatigue faded away within 3 weeks.. Had gone to see a doctor who said i had lower respiratory tract infection. I probably had low grade fevers too but i didnt check.. also i could have had genital thrush as i felt a lot of itching, i Also experienced bad abdominal pain which lasted a few days, and a week ago felt swollen lymp nodes in the groin and armpit which are still swollen now and i also noticed rash on my breasts small dark red spots.. . im so terrified and even scared to take a test! i feel like such an idiot and my life has been consumed in reading about symptoms thts all i do from the moment i wake up till i sleep.. please help

Offline RapidRod

Re: HIV infection, scared out of my mind
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 06:37:41 PM »
At no time were you ever at risk of contracting HIV from oral sex.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 07:10:16 PM »
As Rod has told you, you were not at risk for HIV. You need to know that the only confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. As long as you use condoms everytime for those  activities you will be well protected. Whatever is causing your symptoms has nothing to do with HIV. If they continue you should discuss then with your doctor.  This is NOT an HIV situation. Period. 
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 05:29:36 AM »
Crazy,

I agree that you have not been at risk for hiv infection.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED TO SPECIFICALLY TEST OVER ANYTHING YOU BROUGHT TO US, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline goingcrazy4

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 10:42:18 AM »
Thanks for the replies..

Well the thing is as I said I was extremely stupid and drunk when both of these encounters occurred.. I'm
Really worried that the condom might have broken or maybe not used at all since I was so drunk I can't recall correctly..
Also on this website I was reading people's stories of how they seroconverted and some of them sound exactly like mine: extreme nausea, malaise, fatigue, eyes sensitive to light, blurred vision, prolonged cough, thrush and swollen lymph nodes.. And symptoms have subsided so it can't be a prolonged illness

All these symptoms can't randomly happen to me right after these sexual encounters.. I kno the only way to be sure is to get tested but I have to wait till December ( 3 months past exposure)  In the meanwhile I'm literally going insane thinking about all this.,

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 11:28:10 AM »
Crazy,

All these symptoms can't randomly happen to me right after these sexual encounters..

Yes. They. CAN. We see it here all the time. People coincidentally get a cold or flu after having sex, insist that they HAVE to be poz, and yet test conclusively hiv negative. I don't expect any different outcome in your case.

I fully expect you to test negative.

You're just going to have to get productively busy with other things while you wait to test. We're not here to hold your hand while you're waiting, so don't expect us to do that. I honestly do not believe you had a risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline goingcrazy4

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 11:57:53 AM »
Thanks again for your quick response..

Yes I have read many people posting their symptoms after a sex episode and I thought to myself they are being irrational.. But who can tell besides a test..

I honestly wouldn't post here without actually having reason to believe regarding my status mainly because I wouldn't want to offend anyone nor waste your time as you guys already have a lot of ppl posting here..

I have never felt so sick before.. The tiredness n nausea was so bad I could puke at the smell of food. Couldn't eat anything and felt like I was going to faint...I forced myself to get to work.. Was horrible.. These subsided in 3-4 weeks but lymph nodes remain swollen.. A lot of ppl who seroconverted said the same thing they had never felt so sick before not like any kind of flu in the past..

Anyway all this speculation can only b answered by a test.. I will post my results here when I get them.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 09:51:36 PM »
Fortunately fears and doubts are not facts. Like Ann I am confident you  will test negative. Discuss your symptoms with your doctor. HIV is not the issue, your fears notwithstanding.
Andy Velez

Offline goingcrazy4

• Standard
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 05:51:14 PM »
HI again, thought i could wait patiently for my test but my symptoms keep getting worse...
my eyes have been bloodshot red for  5 days now and i have a migraine that feels like something between someone using a hammer and smashing my head to something eating my brain from the inside. My entire body is in pain too and i have diarrhea.. Seriously cant take it anymore..  lymph nodes remain swollen and my throat hasnt really cleared up yet.. Am i seroconverting? .....

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 06:37:56 PM »
■Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 05:30:27 AM »
Crazy,

You're around thirteen weeks past the first encounter and over nine past your second encounter. So no, you're not seroconverting now. That normally happens sometime between week two and week four.

Why don't you just go get tested now. If you became infected through either situation, you'd be testing positive by now.

We still do not believe you had a risk, but if the only way to prove this to you is to test, then go for it.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline goingcrazy4

• Standard
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 03:11:51 PM »
hi

I have made an appointment next week to get the tests done.
My immune system seems like its at an all time low; blocked nose, dry cough and extreme malaise.. God, am i ever going to get better?
I have a question with regard to hiv transmission via tattooing? I had a tattoo done sometime in early august/11.. What are the chances of Hiv being transmitted this way?

THank you.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 03:16:07 PM »
No.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 05:24:24 PM »
Professional tattoists are very careful about needles used. I've never known of confirmed case of transmission in that manner from a pro. What amateurs may do privately I don't know.

You sure do look for things to worry about. Ultimately I expect you to come out of this ok.
Andy Velez

Offline goingcrazy4

• Standard
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 07:51:20 AM »
ok i know i might get booed from u guys for posting again and i know i sound super annoying and whiny.. but i have  questions..

Its has been over 2 months that i have been feeling unwell, with reoccurring sore throats and blocked nose, malaise etc.. this is not still seroconversion right? Is it possible for a person to fall sick with opportunistic infections so soon due to HIV ? I am just confused about this.. OR is it possible for serconversion to last longer than the usual month or so.. ?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 08:08:54 AM »
Have you been to see your doctor to discuss your symptoms? Just wondering.

ARS does not last more than a couple of weeks. And your symptoms are absolutely not typical of seroconversion. 

We continue to expect you to test negative.
Andy Velez

Offline goingcrazy4

• Standard
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2011, 09:45:08 PM »
I went to the doctor and described the symptoms.. and discussed my concerns about hiv  regarding the sexual encounter.. HE has encouraged me to get the hiv test (will be done in a few days) I have gingivitis, therefore this increases the chance of getting infected while i gave the guy unprotected oral sex right?

Thanks

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.