POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 08:07:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 24267
  • Latest: jpchc
Stats
  • Total Posts: 650117
  • Total Topics: 49625
  • Online Today: 218
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Upcoming Colonoscopy, What To Expect?  (Read 1207 times)

Offline newbieguy

Upcoming Colonoscopy, What To Expect?
« on: November 08, 2011, 05:54:51 PM »
I am scheduled to have a colonoscopy next week. I had a brief bout of bleeding (when I went number 2) a year and a half ago, so my doctor wanted me to have one to be on the safe side. I suspect it is an internal or slight external hemrroid that caused it. The bleeding I had (for about 3 days in April, 2010) stopped after I took some suposetories and local cream, and I haven't had any since then. I cancelled my colonoscopy a few times because I was scared of it, and because I didn't have any more bleeding in over a year. However, I think I'll just go through with it now. Have any of you had colonoscopies before? Will it hurt, even with partial anesthesia? My friend had one, and he said the worst part is drinking the stuff to clean you out before, and the procedure itself is a breeze. I think they just half-sedate you with IV until the procedure is over? If they do find any polyps, won't they remove them during the procedure? I suspect I have an internal hemrroid, will they fix that also, or will I have to do that in another visit? My main concern is if I have an internal hemrroid that caused the bleeding, the procedure itself might aggravate it and cause it to start bleeding again, even after Ive been sent home? Will they fix/stop any bleeding caused by the procedure before they send me home? Would appreciate any insight/advice, thanks a lot!

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
Re: Upcoming Colonoscopy, What To Expect?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 07:29:20 PM »
1. It's breeze, I've had 2 in a 3 yr time frame
2. They give good IV-Drugs
3. The Prep ( drinking all that stuff is to clean you out) it's not that bad
4. if they find any Polyps they will be removed, I had one, it came back benign
5. I didn't like all of the farting after it was over, but after, I went home & slept-ed it off
6. go ahead and do it, nothing to be ashamed of, or even scared of

Hope this helps you out some  ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline mpositive

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 06:39:25 AM »
Easy peasy!  Don't be worried about it at all.  I am a pro ... lol.   The prep is a annoying at worst.  Lots of pooping of the softer type.  Just follow the instructions and you will be all cleared up for the procedure.  They usually give the IV that knocks you out.  To me, it was a great sleep.  :)  I kinda understand why Michael Jackson liked the stuff.  I think it is the same stuff....but of course done correctly :).
Seriously though, afterward, you are gonna wonder why you were afraid of it before.  I go every 2-3 years, colon cancer runs in my family so I want to be on the safe side.

:)
Good luck!
M

Offline next2u

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 07:14:32 PM »
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40473.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39585.0

two recent threads, not exactly what to expect but good pre butt exam reading

best,
d
midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5

Offline aztecan

• 29 years positive, 57 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 02:54:19 AM »
I had one last year. Not much to it.

The prep is a bit of a pain, only because it does really keep you on the pot for a bit, but that wasn't that bad.

I slept through the procedure itself.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline newbieguy

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 12:34:57 PM »
Thanks for all the comments! I am going to bite the bullet and go through with it just to be on the safe side. One more question, anyone know if an internal hemmroid could cause urinary urgency/frequency symptoms at all? Does the med they give you put you totally asleep during the colonoscopy, or just half-asleep. Thanks!

Offline auspoz

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 06:53:27 AM »
Hey. I had one last year. No worries at all! They'll remove polyps for sure (they "hook" them and "lassoo" them - GONE). But if you have Haemmhoroids, it might require something else. Mine were not removed in the colonoscopy.

I did feel drained because of the fasting/cleaning, but nothing too serious.

Hope it goes well. I'm sure it will. :)

auspoz.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.