Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:14:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 155
Total: 155

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: was I at risk for infection?  (Read 3567 times)

Offline giacona

was I at risk for infection?
« on: November 08, 2011, 10:34:18 am »
I need some advice to see if i was at risk wih a possible infection of hiv?

Back in september I took a vacation out of the country and had sex with some sex workers. I wound up using a latex condem every time for intercource, howver the girl did put it on. They were very admiant about putting on the condoms which I have to think is a good thing. These women also performed oral sex on me without any barrier.

Anyhow I did not notice any signs of a condom failure after having sex with these women. I have had unprotected sex in the past with a former girlfriend so i know how it feels. If any of the comdoms failed would I have noticed it during intercourse?

There was one girl that I was with that I noticed had a smelly vagina during intercourse. I prentended that I was done within a few minutes of intercourse and sent her on her way.

Let me add that I do shave my groin and parts of the penis where I get hair. If the person had HIV and the vagnial secretions leaked onto my groin etc could I have gotten something that way?

I went online and looked at symptons of std's and espically early signs hiv. I want to make sure I am ok. I have not felt my normal self since I got back from vacation.

1. My underarms have been sweating more then normal. I notice this mostly when I wake up. I am not sure if they are night sweats, but the sheets are dry when I get up.

2. Back pain in my upper to mid back (feel it most of the time when I first wake up)

3. eye hurt a little

I don't have any other signs such as fever, swollen limphnodes, or sores.

Let me also note I have been unemployed since august and that is probally getting to me as I sit in the house most of the day, i've been depressed over this and my job loss. I also probally have a lot of anxeity. I really hope I did not contract HIV or anything else that is hard to cure.

I am going to my doctor today anyway because I am scared, but I know I cannot get an HIV test until 3 months out which will be next month.

I am really scared

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: was I at risk for infection?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 11:06:06 am »
giacona,

You have NOT had a risk for hiv infection.

Condoms have been proven to prevent hiv infection. There have been three long-term studies of couples where one is positive and one is negative. In the couples who used condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, but no barrier for oral activities, not one of the negative partners became infected with hiv. Not one.

If the condom had broken, YES, you would have noticed.

Getting a blowjob is not a risk for hiv infection.

If you feel unwell, see a doctor. Whatever is going on has nothing to do with hiv as you did NOT have a risk.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED TO TEST FOR HIV SPECIFICALLY OVER ANYTHING YOU BRING TO US, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline giacona

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 02:52:35 pm »
Thank you for the response.

I figured I would have noticed if the condom failed. I am trying to think positive here. I am going to see my doctor later to see what is going on with me.

I however am still concerned about the vaginal secretions leaking onto my gorin area which I do shave. Does this cause a risk? I've heard HIV does not live outside the body for long, but it's still possible. I did not notice any open wounds on my groin on penis from shaving the area that day.

What about symptons? Would I notice anything right away within 1-3 months if I came down with Hiv? People I have talked to say no. But then you go online and see others responses which concerns me.

I am trying to stay positive here thinking I do not have HIV but then again it's in the back of my head b/c of the under arm sweats and back pain that I've had since.

From what I am telling you from this instance of sexual activites that have occured, does it warrent an HIV test?

If I had no risk then I will just move on and try to get on with my life. I am just concerned b/c you hear and read so many different things out there.

Thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 03:28:37 pm »
Giacona,

You did NOT have a risk for hiv infection. The details you add do not change that fact. You could have lathered her vaginal fluids all over your body and you still would not have been at risk, shaving or no shaving.

As for symptoms, neither symptoms nor even the LACK of symptoms will ever tell you a single thing about your hiv status. ONLY testing at the appropriate time will. Once again, if you feel unwell, see your doctor. We do not discuss symptoms here.

As I already told you, although you do not need to test over the specific situations you bring to us, any sexually active adult should be having a FULL sexual health check up at least once a year. Go read my first response again until it sinks in.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline giacona

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 12:04:08 pm »
Thank you again for your prompt response, it seems I can now breathe a full sigh of releif.

As per your information I plan to get a full std checkup this year just to be safe. I am going to wait the 6 month mark from my last sexual encounter which will be around mid march. I've been told you need to test for HIV at 3 & 6 months after last sexual encounter. So I figured why not wait for 6 and just be sure. I expect it to come out negative anyway.

Before I posted here I contacted the HIV hotline in my state and explained them everything I already told you. However they told me that HIV can live outside the body, but not for long. With me shaving my groin area/back of my penis I was told it imposes a very small risk since vagnial secretions were on my groin.

I am not questioning your expertise on the HIV virus, I just want to make sure I was not at risk. I did wear a condom so from that point I know I was well protected. What if I had a small nick from shaving that wasn't visible to the naked eye and the secretions got onto that area?

If anyone can please advise on this incluing Ann, Andy and maybe others who can clarify this it would be greatley appreicated. I'm concerned b/c the HIV hotline tells me one thing and this reputable board with tons of knowledge tells me another.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 08:14:24 am »
Giacona,

You did NOT have a risk for hiv infection. The details you add do not change that fact. You could have lathered her vaginal fluids all over your body and you still would not have been at risk, shaving or no shaving.

As for symptoms, neither symptoms nor even the LACK of symptoms will ever tell you a single thing about your hiv status. ONLY testing at the appropriate time will. Once again, if you feel unwell, see your doctor. We do not discuss symptoms here.

As I already told you, although you do not need to test over the specific situations you bring to us, any sexually active adult should be having a FULL sexual health check up at least once a year. Go read my first response again until it sinks in.

Ann

What Ann told you still stands. And if you had a real risk, which you did  not, then testing negative at 3 months would be   sufficient. Now I am going to warn you that if you continue to return with more questions about your non-risk you are going to find yourself getting a 28 day Time Out from  the site.

HIV is NOT your problem. Period. Cut out the drama and get on with your life. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline giacona

Bare skin condoms
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 05:04:51 pm »
Can someone tell me if bareskin condoms offer good protection against Hiv & other std's if used properly? I am in a relationship with someone and want to make sure these will offer protection.

The word bare skin just scares me since they may break easier?

Offline RapidRod

Re: Bare skin condoms
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 06:20:09 pm »
■Please do not start a new thread every time you have another question or thought - regardless if you think your questions are related to each other or not. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Additional threads will be merged.

■If you cannot find your thread, click on the "Show own posts" link in the left-hand column of any forum page, under your

Offline giacona

Re: Bare skin condoms
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 06:41:00 pm »
Sorry about that. I thought I had to start a new thread as this question is totally un-related to what my previous thread was about.

If you want to merge them that would be fine.

I'd also appreciate if someone could answer the question regarding bare skin condoms

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 06:56:16 pm »
I've merged your threads here. In the future please follow our rule and keep all of your entries in this one thread. Thanks for your cooperation.

"Bareskin condoms" are made of latex and give effective protection against HIV transmission.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.